Optima AGM batteries...Which one? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I stuck a Walmart battery in, went for six years. ........... I threw a cheap parts store battery in it in 2006, still works.
Six years out of a Walmart battery.......maybe you're working too much Raz

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I used to run optimas. The old ones worked great for years. The newer ones…well, I ran through 3 of them in 4 years. I stuck a Walmart battery in, went for six years. Another had exide orbitals, killed 2 of them in. 2 years. I threw a cheap parts store battery in it in 2006, still works.

I used to like optimas, now I wouldn't touch them.
I saw an interesting paper on longevity problems with AGM (and other VRLA) batteries...I guess it's been sort of a mystery for some time why many evidently aren't living up to the expectations raised by the success of the early prototypes. The author of the paper posits that the use of recycled instead of virgin lead is at the root of the problem...it seems that the developers of the type used virgin ore more or less by chance and until recently no one realized that the distinction is important.

Technochild that I am, I may be interpreting the paper incorrectly, so herewith a link to same in case others more savvy than I may find it interesting/useful:
Lead Purity: VRLA Problems

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I bought the Lifeline GPL 24 T when the battery on our first trailer died in 3 years. I'm still using it. It was a little over $200 or almost 3x the Walmart battery price at the time (2007). They claim up to 1000 charge/discharge cycles. We camp less than 50 days/year and use about 5-10 Ahr a night. LED lights. A small fan I modified to use less about 1/2 amp and the water pump. Because of parasitic loads, I noticed any time I connected the battery, there was a small spark. The sealed battery is safer in my opinion. If I break even I'll be happy. It's about the closest I come to gambling. Raz

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
I noticed that small spark too on my trailer. I believe it's caused by the Propane Detector which is full time powered from the house battery.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I noticed that small spark too on my trailer. I believe it's caused by the Propane Detector which is full time powered from the house battery.
I agree. I measured about 35 mA on mine. No such thing as off anymore. That's one reason I put the inline fuse in. It's an easy disconnect with the spark enclosed.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I agree. I measured about 35 mA on mine. No such thing as off anymore. That's one reason I put the inline fuse in. It's an easy disconnect with the spark enclosed.

I think the inline fuse is a good thing. My Scamp came from the factory with a 20 amp fuse inline with the positive lead at the battery. After about 6 years it became corroded and I need to replace the holder and the fuse. Point is it's a good thing but is another failure point.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Greetings,

My only experience with an AGM over time is a Lifeline AGM i had in my HAM Shack that lasted about 8 years without any maintenance except proper maintaining with an appropriate AC charger.

Now with our Parkliner #35 and the stock placement of two Optima Blue Top 34 batteries...if i knew then (when ordering) what i know now... I would have paid the extra $$ for the 27 battery with 10 more AH and a built in vent to attach a small tube to vent to outside from their placement in the under-bench battery compartment. Hindsight. While i do expect to get many good years of use out of the 34's, i will probably swap out for 27's when the time comes just cuz.

No maintenance AGMs is my preference. I have two 6v wet cells in our 38' fiver and they need watching and usually only get three to four years out of a pair.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #21

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
If you want the benefits and cost of an AGM battery I'd go with Concorde Lifeline. About $250 shipped to your door. Lots of size choices. Very low self discharge, much lower than a wet cell, important if you leave your trailer unplugged for months at a time. More tolerant of deep discharge but that's not good for any battery. Good if your battery is hard to get at so you will forget to check the water.

Get a good three stage battery charger with at least C/10 output, i.e. an 80 ah battery wants at least 8 amps during the bulk charge phase.

Estimate your battery usage in a day, for each device, amps x hours turned on, add up for a 24 hr period. Then times number of days between charging opportunity, then times 2. That's the battery capacity you need.

If you are running 120v motors (like a fridge compressor) with an inverter you need to pay special attention to start up loads. Basically you will need more battery in that case.

I use AGMs in my electric boat because watering would be a huge pain and rocking might cause acid to leak out. I use 2 Trojan T105 6v wet batteries in series in my lil'snoozy.