overcharging risk with converters? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
overcharging risk with converters?

In our 2009 Scamp is a charger converter that looks to be made by the Wizard brand company. I think the series is 9100 or thereabouts from that time. Is there a risk of overcharging ones deep cycle battery when driving a long distance for several hours? Does one disconnect their battery after a few hours of driving to protect it or do these charger converters do a good job of not overcharging eventually? thanks

hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker22 View Post
In our 2009 Scamp is a charger converter that looks to be made by the Wizard brand company. I think the series is 9100 or thereabouts from that time. Is there a risk of overcharging ones deep cycle battery when driving a long distance for several hours? Does one disconnect their battery after a few hours of driving to protect it or do these charger converters do a good job of not overcharging eventually? thanks

The converter is NOT running while towing. It's only on when the trailer is plugged into shore power.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Convert == change something to something else.
In case of RV's converters it changes 120VAC to something around 13.8VDC. (13.8VDC is tow vehicle voltage)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The converter is NOT running while towing. It's only on when the trailer is plugged into shore power.
Right, because there's nothing to convert.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The question is confusing so I understand why previously replies might have missed the mark. As I understand it, the question is "will your R/V battery be over charged while traveling"?

It's true that the converter is not in use unless and until you are connected to 120 VAC shore power. Therefore, the information about the converter make and model has no bearing on that question.

So the only source of charging while you are traveling the the tow vehicle, or more specifically, the tow vehicle's alternator. It gets a little involved but as I understand it, it is possible to over charge the trailer battery from the tow vehicle, but in practice because of losses in the wiring, the relatively short time the vehicle is charging, etc, the likelihood of having a problem form over charging from the tow vehicle is very slight.

By the way, I am going to guess that you saw the Charge Wizard option connected to a Progressive Dynamics 9100 converter (in effect, an enhanced 9100 model). The charge wizard provides better battery charging for the 9100 model converter, and helps to prevent over charging, but again.. only when using shore power
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
As I read the OP's last sentence it does seem to lead a reader to believe the OP thinks the converter is running while towing. As stated, the converter is not charging while driving. In any event the answer to both his questions is "no". The alternator is seeing some kluged together common voltage of the tow battery and the trailer battery and it (the alternator) reduces the charging depending on the voltage it measures. If it didn't, that would be bad news for all our tow vehicle batteries, towing or not.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #7

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
As mentioned by others, it is your TV's alternator that charges both batteries while on the road. they are connected in parallel, so look like one big 12 volt battery to the system. The voltage regulator controls the maximum output.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
We always install a second wire from the tow V's batt to the trailer batt, this helps overcome the slow charging by the TV, (I like TV thanks for saving me typing time!!)
The reason for the slow charge is that the TV's alternator is responding to the state of charge in the TV, which is almost always fully charged, so what you get at the trailer is a bleed off from the TV batt. A batt isolator will help.
Many times I leave the batts connected, so that the vehicle batt is discharged to the same level as the trailer, that way the alternator sees a lower state of charge and will speed up the charging process accordingly. If you try that at home, be very careful to understand your power usage so that you do not take the vehicle battery too low to start the eng.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
you are right tony I am sure the alternator only looks at the tv battery charge and once it is charged it quits although maybe the other battery might come into play some!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Should have mentioned that if you do put in a dedicated charging circuit, be sure to fuse each end of the positive + wire, as both the TV and trailer batts will energize the wire if it goes to ground.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #11

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
We always install a second wire from the tow V's batt to the trailer batt, this helps overcome the slow charging by the TV, (I like TV thanks for saving me typing time!!)
The reason for the slow charge is that the TV's alternator is responding to the state of charge in the TV, which is almost always fully charged, so what you get at the trailer is a bleed off from the TV batt. A batt isolator will help.
Many times I leave the batts connected, so that the vehicle batt is discharged to the same level as the trailer, that way the alternator sees a lower state of charge and will speed up the charging process accordingly. If you try that at home, be very careful to understand your power usage so that you do not take the vehicle battery too low to start the eng.
Our installer did run a heavier wire from the TV battery to the trailer, one of the 7 pins. It has a fuse too. But, if you're not hooked up to shore power and leave them plugged in for too long, you will discharge the TV battery and may not be able to start your engine.
There is a device for sequentially charging two batteries instead of simultaneously.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
To the point answers-

While traveling:
No, you will not over charge your onboard battery while traveling.

On electricity:
If you have one of these devices plugged IN to your converter, then you can charge on electricity indefinitely: (click on link)
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/ch...charge-wizard/

Still on electricity:
IF you do NOT have one of these "Wizard"s connected to your converter, then YES, you can over charge and it will eventually destroy your battery!

Quote:

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote