Parkliner and batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Parkliner and batteries

Newbie here. I'm still doing my research, but I think I'v narrowed our selection down to a Parkliner. Having never owned an RV before, I have been immersing myself in learning about the power systems (many thanks to these forums).

In the more recent PL's to roll off the line, what batteries are standard?

Ultimately, I want access to as many amp-hours as possible because we most likely will be in places without AC hook-ups. I've read up on AGM versus golf cart versus the usual RV "house" batteries, and I think I get it. (Although that does not make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination!) I want to keep the batteries on the tongue if at all possible. Knowing that different batteries have different form factors, what could I fit on the currently new PL tongue?

I'm sure your replies will have me asking bunches of other questions.

Thanks,
Jean
jsuplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jean, I believe if you were to contact Parkliner, you could ask them what is the largest battery that could be ordered. They may also be willing to forgo mounting their standard battery box for one of a capacity of your choice.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and you will want solar to keep those batteries charged.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Parkliner and batteries

Jean,

On my Scamp trailers, I've upgraded the standard battery to a Group 27 battery and used a small solar panel (from Northern Tool) to supplement the battery in boondocking situations.
By doing that, using only LED lighting, a 12v Fantastc Fan, and running the refrigerator on propane, I've easily camped with no hookups for over a week.

As Dave also knows, it becomes a net sum game. If my fan and LED lights pull 8 amp-hours
out of the battery per day and the sun (via the solar panel) replaces 5 to 6 amp-hours per day,
I only wind up pulling a couple of amp-hours out of the battery per day.

Since the Group 27 battery has a capacity of about 100 amp-hours, that means that I can
camp without 110v "shore power" for weeks before drawing my battery below 40%.

I've used mono-crystalline solar panels as small as 12 watts and 35 watts. Depending on
your daily amperage draw and the availability of sunlight for your panel(s), you may need to
use different wattage (larger?) panels.

If you are willing to consider even a small solar setup, you may have far fewer worries about
battery size/capacity.

Good luck! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Name: Jean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Thanks, everyone. I've been corresponding with Tom Bass at Parkliner.

I believe we will be adding solar panels once we get whatever-trailer-we-decide-to-buy.
jsuplick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #6

Name: star
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
I have a ParkLiner, curious to see how you do yours. I use a Honda 3000EU for now to charge the batteries and run the ac or microwave when I'm away from the grid.
starsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner