Pd mighty mini and seven pin hitch 12v - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Montana
Pd mighty mini and seven pin hitch 12v

So I installed a pd nightly mini into my boler and redid all the wiring. All makes sense but I am wondering can I run the power line from my seven pin hitch directly to the boler trailer battery or do I need to run it through the mighty mini somehow? Seems to me the simplest solution would be to attach it to the battery so it will charge when traveling. Thanks for the help.
mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Pretty sure that's how it should be wired. That's coming from your alternator and should be all set up to just charge the battery. Running through the power center and back out would just add unnecessary length to the already probably too-long-for-the-wire-gauge length from the alternator back to the battery.

I know the small gauge wire in the kit I bought for my brake controller is going to do very little charging of my camper battery, by the time it makes that 16' or so run. Couldn't have been bigger than 12 gauge wire, and I think it might have actually be 14. That's pretty small gauge for a 16' run...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Montana
Actually I might be wrong...I'll be interested to see what other people say. It makes sense to me to run it straight to the battery but I'm remembering now that when my battery was disconnected, but I was plugged in to my truck with the 7-pin connector, there was power in the trailer...So I'm guessing mine is run through the power center first.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Look at the Scamp wiring diagram in the Document Center. It shows the Black (+) and White (-) wires going first to the battery.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Yes the center orange wire in first illustration or blue wire in the second illustration can be used for power to the trailer for 12V battery charging. I use this to charge the battery on my car trailers.

Here are wiring diagrams for the both 7 pin plugs. The first is the larger most common 7 pin "RV" plug and second is the smaller 7 pin commercial plug.

Personally I and everyone I know uses the larger 7 pin "RV" plug for all trailers as most any factory OEM trailer wiring plug factory installed on all newer vehicles sold today is the larger 7 pin "RV" plug.

Makes it easy to switch tow vehicles if you have more than one or need to "borrow" your friends truck when yours is broke down.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...B6AQMwgfKAIwAg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...B6AQMwggKAMwAw
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I don't know how it "should" be done, but I brought the power line from the car to the 1ST position on the PD converter and I installed a 20 Amp circuit breaker fuse replacement in that position.
My assumption was that the source with the highest voltage would supply the Buss.
If the PD is not powered (Under tow) then the car's power would pass through and be protected by this circuit breaker.
The car end has a relay to only supply power with the key on and it also has a circuit breaker in the line to protect the wiring.

The first positions are higher current rated then the last ones.

I don't know about the "Mighty Mini" but I did this with my PD4045 converter.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
7-blade connector color coding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Yes the center orange wire in first illustration or blue wire in the second illustration can be used for power to the trailer for 12V battery charging. I use this to charge the battery on my car trailers.

Here are wiring diagrams for the both 7 pin plugs. The first is the larger most common 7 pin "RV" plug and second is the smaller 7 pin commercial plug.

Personally I and everyone I know uses the larger 7 pin "RV" plug for all trailers as most any factory OEM trailer wiring plug factory installed on all newer vehicles sold today is the larger 7 pin "RV" plug.

Makes it easy to switch tow vehicles if you have more than one or need to "borrow" your friends truck when yours is broke down.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...B6AQMwgfKAIwAg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...B6AQMwggKAMwAw
vintageracer, these are great diagrams. The wire colors indicated in these diagrams are typical of colors seen in the tow vehicle, but may NOT be in the camper. Vintage Bolers and Trilliums (such as my Boler and Trillium) with original wiring may be color coded and matched up as follows:

PIN 1 GROUND/COMMON: Vehicle side white to Trillium side white
PIN 2 TRAILER BRAKES: Vehicle side blue to Trillium side blue
PIN 3 TAIL/RUNNING LIGHTS: Vehicle side brown to Trillium side green
PIN 4 AUX 12V+ CHARGING: Vehicle side red or black to Trillium side black
PIN 5 LEFT TURN/BRAKE LIGHT: Vehicle side yellow to Trillium side red
PIN 6 RIGHT TURN/BRAKE LIGHT: Vehicle side green to Trillium side brown
PIN 7 BACKUP LIGHTS: Vehicle side purple to Trillium side yellow or not used
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #8

Montana
I think the mighty mini and pd4045 are one in the same.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Montana
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes you are correct I contacted progressive dynamics and they confirmed.
mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote