phantom battery draw question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #29
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
RAZ ,it appears to me you need to install a branch circuit breaker on the buss.
Then run a conductor from the load side of the breaker to the 4 hole buss on the right side . This would supply power to the AC side of the converter . Why they did not install a 15 amp breaker to feed the converter at the factory is a mystery to me
Just to set things strait my converter is fine.

Suz asked the question in post 12.

Bob commented:Apparently the confusion here is that there is an 4-5 terminal buss bar on the right side of the box labeled something like "120VAC HOT". I asked PD about this buss and was told that it was required for Canadian (CSA?) approval, that the incoming hot lead had to go there first, before going to the bottom feed on the main breaker. At least that's what they told me. It's not used in U.S. installations, but being there and being labeled is a bit confusing..
I responded to him.

As I said earlier, PD's instructions are a little brief.

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #30
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The wire shown running from the converter to the small buss bar is a broken line, suggesting that is one way to connect it, it does not have to be wired that way. But if you did, you would also have to energize that buss bar yourself by installing a load breaker and connecting that to the small buss as well. As shown, that bar is DEAD.

Connecting the converter power IN to it's own breaker on the main buss is the usual and customary of installing them. I have installed at least 7 and never used that small buss.
If it was me ,I would connect the AC wire from the converter directly to the load terminal of a 15 amp breaker and just leave the small 4 hole buss on the right side dead. The only advantage I see in terminatin the incoming line conductor at the 4 hole buss is that you could disconnect the hot wire that feeds the main breaker at the buss .What you gain by this arrangement is not clear to me

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote