Photos and info on battery and genset compartment, Bigfoot 25B25RQ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Photos and info on battery and genset compartment, Bigfoot 25B25RQ

Hi,

Does anyone have photos of the Onan generator and extra battery location on a Bigfoot 25B25RQ? We are considering a trailer with these options and I can't quite visualize where these are located and how they are accessed, especially if there is also the extra cargo box at the front of the trailer.

We've seen a couple of 25RQ's (new and used), but none had these features on them, so we didn't think to ask where space might be designated for them in front; just kind of assumed they would take up space in outside storage areas.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
The generator is mounted under the trailer and the battery rides on a pair of rails welded under the tongue slightly aft of the coupler and tongue jack.

The generator mount is about 7 feet aft of the front of the trailer body. There is no cover for the generator, it is just hanging in the breeze.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Arizona
Thanks Orlen. No wonder it's hard to find photos. Makes it a bit tough to do simple maintenance like oil changes. On the other hand, does it make it bit safer in terms of theft.

Would love to hear from someone who has a 25QR with a generator to see what kind of experience they've had with it.

Regards,
Josh
Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Josh, I am curious what kind of camping and durations you do that a built in genny is desired. I can see some times I might want a generator, but not enough to go to the trouble and expense of a permanent on-board unit. What I want is one of the little light and quiet 2k Hondas to replace my 2.5k Coleman noise maker. I will for sure keep close tabs on the Honda if I do spring the $1,000 for one. I am trying to get around to installing my solar stuff that should do everything except run the A/C, for that a genny would be required.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, the unfortunate thing is that, while those Onan generators seem fairly quiet inside, they will drive nearby campers nuts. And, some of the gas Onan generators don't meet current noise level requirements at a many state and national parks anyway. Basically, if it runs at 3600 RPM, it's usually to noisy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #6

Arizona
About the generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Josh, I am curious what kind of camping and durations you do that a built in genny is desired. I can see some times I might want a generator, but not enough to go to the trouble and expense of a permanent on-board unit. What I want is one of the little light and quiet 2k Hondas to replace my 2.5k Coleman noise maker. I will for sure keep close tabs on the Honda if I do spring the $1,000 for one. I am trying to get around to installing my solar stuff that should do everything except run the A/C, for that a genny would be required.
I agree, if I were ordering the trailer from scratch, I don't think I'd go with the built in unit either; big cost and probably more weight than the Hondas. In this case, we are getting close to purchasing a used 25RQ that has the generator build in. We'll see how things work out; there really don't seem to be a lot of Bigfoot trailers that have the genset, though they are pretty much standard equipment on various Class-C Bigfeet we've looked at or thought about.

This unit also has 240 watts of solar built in from the factory. Since you can run the fridge off of LP, it is kind of strange or overkill to have the generator as well. Tough decision to get a lot of extras we don't necessarily want or need, but we've been looking for a long time, so...

Josh
Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Arizona
Onan Gensets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yep, the unfortunate thing is that, while those Onan generators seem fairly quiet inside, they will drive nearby campers nuts. And, some of the gas Onan generators don't meet current noise level requirements at a many state and national parks anyway. Basically, if it runs at 3600 RPM, it's usually to noisy.
Hi Bob,

Only Onan I've had experience with was a 125 KVA unit we had for housing backup power at a shrimp farm I ran for a number of years in Arizona. I think it was originally built for hospital use, and was really quiet for an engine that size. I haven't been around an operating "green machine" like the ones that Bigfoot supplies.

I asked the owner of one of the Class-C's we looked out how noisy it was and he said it was very quiet. Of course, if you're the one gaining from the noise, it probably doesn't bother you as much as anyone else.

We don't like the noise either, so the genset is probably going to be a last resort, if we are out in the middle of nowhere and it's real hot (which is not to hard to imagine in the desert southwest).

Josh
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've had Onan generators in several boats and really liked them. They were 1800 RPM water cooled and pretty quiet. The nicest thing about these sat ups is that they are always ready to go to work. No unloading or cords to fool with. Just push a button or flip a switch and you have power. No need to leave the trailer. Also these units can be run when you are going down the road. On a hot day you can have a pre cooled trailer when you arrive at your destination . I would have one for sure if I had a motor home but my personal trailer camping need do not require one.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No need to leave the trailer?
I can't wrap my head around the idea of sitting in a trailer in the hot desert with a genset running to keep the air going.
I sort of get it when it comes to a huge motorhome with a satellite dish and a wide screen TV, probably tuned to National Geographic channel.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #10

Arizona
Onan Gensets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I've had Onan generators in several boats and really liked them. They were 1800 RPM water cooled and pretty quiet. The nicest thing about these sat ups is that they are always ready to go to work. No unloading or cords to fool with. Just push a button or flip a switch and you have power. No need to leave the trailer. Also these units can be run when you are going down the road. On a hot day you can have a pre cooled trailer when you arrive at your destination . I would have one for sure if I had a motor home but my personal trailer camping need do not require one.
Thanks Jack, that's good info. Not sure we'll ever need it either, but I guess it's nice to know there is one there if we need it. Not sure if this unit is air or water cooled. I'm guessing we need to crank it with load for 15-20 min about once a week just to make sure it stays in condition.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

Arizona
Uh Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No need to leave the trailer?
I can't wrap my head around the idea of sitting in a trailer in the hot desert with a genset running to keep the air going.
I sort of get it when it comes to a huge motorhome with a satellite dish and a wide screen TV, probably tuned to National Geographic channel.
I'm sort of embarrassed to admit that this unit also has two wide screen TV. We don't even have cable TV at home, and stopped watching TV altogether when we were in VT for for 18 months on a job. It's been great, I've learned to read books again. The only things we miss is Masterpiece Theater and a couple of other PBS programs.

I'm thinking we should take out the TV's and store them for some later date (much further down the line), if we ever decide to resell the trailer.

Now you guys have me thinking; we don't need the genset or the TV's, I'm starting to feel guilty about "mooving up" from the 17ft Casita we've had since 97.

Too much thinking...
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
RV gen sets are air cooled and usually a little louder than marine units.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, bigfoot