Plumbing and Electricity Diagram - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler
Hello All,

This is a "Starting from Scratch" post continued. I have a '75 Boler that I am renovating. There is no plumbing, wiring or fixtures yet.

Here is the design I've come up with (with some help and ideas from a fellow Boler owner):

Click image for larger version

Name:	mechanicals.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	8512

As you can see, I have not gone the converter/inverter route. Rather, I'm looking at a heavy duty surge protector with an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).

My "Bolering" will most often be to campgrounds with water and electricity so I'm even thinking of forgoing the water tank and water pump and just relying on city water.

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or comments?

Thanks.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I personnaly would not just rely on city/campground water.You will get caught one day without water.
I myself Have always just used pump and on board water and never used city/campground water.I like a site with water but i just fill my tank and use only that water supply.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
I would put in the water system. Put the pump close to the tank so it keeps its prime. I always put in water first because I can drain unused water as I roll on my way out through a drain valve I installed outside the trailer.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'd third the onboard water system.
We didn't have the pump and I replaced the tank and added a shur-flo pump. Hooked it up to the hot water side of a new bar faucet and bring the city water to the cold side. Awesome to be able to do either whenever the situation presents. The onboard system works really well and doesn't appear to leak pressure at all.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
To me, a water pump isn't very big, isn't too heavy, and isn't intolerably expensive, so I would put it in... but the tank is the concern. It's fine in my B1700, since there's lots of room for it under the floor, but is space (or other considerations) are a major issue, it's the tank which might make me consider leaving out the independent water system (not the pump).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The UPS approach is novel, and intriguing.

When I think about what is inside a UPS, I realize that the net effect is that there will still be an inverter (built into the UPS) and there will be two batteries - one dedicated to 12VDC use, and one to feed the inverter for 120VAC stuff. The result is that while off of shore power, either one of the two batteries could run low, leading to the frustration of having juice... but just in the wrong box.

If you add a solar panel, which battery would it charge?

The advantages of the UPS are that recharging (of one battery...) is automatic and switchover between shore power and battery/inverter mode is seamless , while to do this with a separate inverter and common battery means an autotransfer switch, some wiring, and some form of automatic charger setup.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote