Porch Light Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Porch Light Issue

I recently replaced the bulb in my porch light of my '94 Scamp. I took it out a couple of times then when we got home, I noticed the cover and part of the base had melted!
(See pic).

Now, I should mention it has been crazy hot down here – triple digit temps when we went out. But, I thought we only turned the light on at night. There could have been a chance it got left on during the day. But should that matter? More importantly, is this a case of the wrong bulb or defective wiring?

Has anybody had this problem? Any help is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
obviously not a LED bulb!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Everyone recognizes that porch lite fixture. It is very easy to deflect the socket outboard when replacing bulb. Bulb touching means melted lens. Hot weather probably wouldn't increase the temperature significantly. Replacing with a 36 element LED "bulb" will create less heat than the incandescent. If you replace the fixture, they are available for around 7-8$ on eBay (not including SHIPPING). They are a POS however. Not even approaching watertight; the next installment of this story is moisture bridging the switch at which point you will have a low intensity light which is always on until the switch contacts dry. If I were replacing, I think I'd try a different "exterior" light.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
wow.....you should be able to have that light on 24/7 in 120 degree temps without that kind of meltdown...I have a 1141 bulb in mine never had a issue, bad connection, or bulb would be my guess
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I also bypassed the exterior switch and installed one on the inside
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Name: Duke
Trailer: '95 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Replacing with a 36 element LED "bulb" will create less heat than the incandescent.
this sounds like the easiest option. I think I can just get by with replacing the cover now. Can I just put one of the LED "bulbs" in my current set up?
UncleDuke42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Yes, LED needs the same base as an 1156, 1141, etc. I think that's a BA15s base but anyway, pins on the base need to match your incandescent (no offset). I believe these usually list as 1156 equivalent.

Incidentally, you can reshape the lens by placing in boiling water and then applying some pressure to the melted area with a wooden spoon, knife handle, hammer handle. My exploration of this subject leads me to believe you may as well buy a new fixture as attempt to buy only the lens at a higher price.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light