Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 AM   #15

Name: CAMPER
Trailer: BIGFOOT
Colorado
GOAL ZERO

GOAL ZERO YETI 1250 SOLAR GENERATOR KIT
$1799.95
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4.3 out of 5 stars. Read reviews. (77)
Back in Stock - May 2015
Best kit for safe, silent power generation. Use indoor or outdoor to backup critical appliances including refrigerators, freezers & home health care equipment like a CPAP machine. Store 1250 watts of power.

No noise, no fumes, no gasoline, no wasted power. Charge from the sun with solar panels or from the regular wall outlet. More...
Recharge by: AC, 12V, Solar
Power Output: USB, 12V, AC, Power Pole
Ideal for: Laptop, Mini Fridge, TV, Backup, Emergency, Lights

Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #16

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
As usual with my armchair schemes their level of complexity grows and is paralleled closely by increased cost and labor. My lovely dream wonder box proved to be no exception. So the pragmatist in me said, "Why not just add a second battery to my current set up?". This is a hard question to refute. It would double my boondocking time making independent stays longer than I would probably ever really need. Wiring would be dead simple only needing a fuse and a battery switch to choose which battery to use. Then I thought, "Who needs another 50 pounds of lead to haul around?" So lethargy may win out in this scheme and I will probably just enjoy camping without the cost, weight, and complexity. Then again I may change my mind next week. Isn't owning a fiberglass RV fun?

John

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Or, put a solar cell on the roof of your trailer and stay as long as you want.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Or, put a solar cell on the roof of your trailer and stay as long as you want.
HA! John is from Wisconsin, and like my Michigan, we're practically nothing but trees here. (I don't know much about Alberta, most of what I know about Canada is from Doug and Bob Mckenzie!). Unless he's happy to chase a sunny patch around his campsite, or camp in Walmart lots, he's going to have problems keeping his batteries up. It may extend his stay but I'm not buying off on the "stay as long as you want" theory.

And I know I'm tweaking a sacred cow here so I know I'll catch heck!

(Where have all the good Canadian TV shows gone? SCTV, Prisoners of Gravity, Red Green. Is Don Cherry still on Hockey Night in Canada? My satellite service doesn't give me Canadian channels)
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Yeah, Bob and Doug are exactly like all Canadians. Other then the fact that they don't seem to live in an igloo.

I must admit that my perspective on solar is affected by the fact that I live on the prairies. Calgary gets more then it's fair share of sunshine.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
OK, I would like to apologize to the OP. I feel like I was way snide, and his challenge is ACCEPTED!

Here's what I think would ROCK. My wife thinks it's a money maker. Let me know.

I have an abundance of 35Ahr gel cell batteries. They weigh about 25 lbs. They are too small for the trailer battery, but too big to walk away from, (I am a complicated person). I think they would make a good battery for a "portable" power pack.

But not one that you charge up and take with you. More something like a brief case with a solar panel on one side, including a solar controller. What do I want it to do, (other then store power)? I want a good light source, and a radio. For a radio, I think a DIN socket with a no moving parts car stereo for about $20:
Practical Car Stereo in Dash FM with MP3 Player USB SD Input Aux Receiver Remote | eBay

And removable speakers.

Now, how to make it a tracking array?

............hmmm.........
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #21

Madison, Wisconsin
Maybe I should just cave and buy Chinese. Might be best for me if not the country, but who worries about that these days? Take a look at this. I find it hard to believe this could really jump start a car, but Amazon reviews are always trustworthy, right? And I could charge my idevices from my hammock. Sweet.

Spirit (TM) A8 Car Jump Starter 18000mAh Booster Emergency Power Source Emergency Auto Start Power & Ultra-bright LED Flash Light for SOS & High Capacity Power Bank for Cellphone Tablet Laptop - Black
Auto 12V emergency car jump starter and ultra-bright LED flash light for SOS when your car flameout in super highway & field
A Good gadget to save money than ask for trailer service and security SOS item when in travel or outdoor
18000mAh high capacity for cellphone tablet and laotop (include gift 4-in-1 mobile adapter for iphone 5s/4s Note 3 and various brands laptop adapter)
Suitable for gas car and diesel car (not for big truck)
Package include: 1 x Spirit car jump starter, 1 x power supply clip cable, 1 x power adapter, 1 x car charger, 1 x 4-in-1 mobile adapter (gift), 8 x brands laotop adapter tips (gift), 1 x user manual

Price: $78.99 & FREE Shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 8.03.42 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 8.11.39 AM.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Yeah, Bob and Doug are exactly like all Canadians. Other then the fact that they don't seem to live in an igloo.

I must admit that my perspective on solar is affected by the fact that I live on the prairies. Calgary gets more then it's fair share of sunshine.
LOL yup and I don't know why but they don't use a dog sled to get around either... weird.

well coming from the West Coast of Canada we grow our trees BIG here in BC and we have a thing about keeping them that way, so finding a spot to camp on the coast that does not have tree coverage interfering with the solar panels is a challenge. Which is why I keep mine on a long line and move it to where ever there is a slice of sun.

Yes Steve, Don Cherry is still around & he still has the same tailor but a greatly reduced role in the broadcast. Unfortunately CBC no longer has all the TV rights to the games - Sportsnet took it over so things have changed a little - Ron MacLain is no longer the host either .... George Stroumboulpoulos is.

Youtube 22 Minutes Favourites: Strombo's Hockey Night in Canada
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As are many items from China, the reviews run both hot and cold with few in between. But 18000 ma (18 amp/hrs? ) seems a bit high for such a small package. At least it can be returned to Amazon if it's DOA....
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #24

Alberta
Registry
Lithium battery?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #25

Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Lithium battery?
David,

One of the answered questions says yes. But I doubt it since surely the description would say so since its a great feature. I would hesitate to buy anything not Lithium Ion.

John
Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot 2002
Illinois
18 AH... 12 volts so 215 watt hours. 100 watt bulb for two hours.
that sounds possible.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #27

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
My guess would be NiMh, going by the price. No mention in the add about series resistance or maximum discharge current. I suspect their idea of jump starting a car is to let it put energy into the car battery over an hour or so and then start from the car battery.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #28

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
John, this is not a great application for Lithium Ion. They have great energy density, but still have high internal resistance compared to lead acid. They are getting better and the cells used for power tools can discharge at 35 amps or so, but jump starting cars takes hundreds of amps. Some of the new Hybrid cars are using Lithium Ion, but they are using very high voltages to keep the current low.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L

Tags
battery