Portable solar charger from Renogy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #21

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Small Honda or Yamaha 2000 will run most (not all) a/c units. Love me some Yamaha Gen! Solar is pretty cheap now. I want solar to charge up the banks and to run the MaxFan (on auto) while the unit sits in storage and while dry camping.
Solar wont replace a gen if you need a/c. I want the best of both worlds. You can get a nice solar package for less than 300 dollars now. You can always add another solar panel if needed.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A 5000 btu air conditioner uses ~500 W when running, over 1000 to start. 500 W of solar power, combined with a 1500 W inverter and a large battery bank, (220 Ahr) and you can, in theory run a small AC.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #23

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Dave a mini split system runs between 300 to 400 watts on low. So I guess you can run on solar. I forgot what the running watts and the amps are because the papers are in the Boler but I do know the Yamaha starts and runs my 9000 btu mini with no problem at all.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #24

Name: Percy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
This is what I was looking for, thanks for the info
percyabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #25

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Hi Jon, please give us a review when you get the folding solar panel.
Thanks..
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stev View Post
Hi Jon, please give us a review when you get the folding solar panel.
Thanks..
For those interested in Solar Blvd's 160 watt panel, I posted a review with photos on my LakeshoreImages page.

Overall, the panel works well, however you can see why it is as inexpensive as it is...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jon is the charge controller that is built onto your panels weather proof?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jon is the charge controller that is built onto your panels weather proof?
Since there is no manual, your guess is as good as mine. It doesn't look all that waterproof, but the panels slope enough that it would thai quite a blow to get much water on it...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since there is no manual, your guess is as good as mine. It doesn't look all that waterproof, but the panels slope enough that it would thai quite a blow to get much water on it...
LOL thanks.... I looked at the specs on line and couldn't see anything on the topic either.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 AM   #30

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Very nice. Appreciate your pictures.
I was thinking of making my own.
Or just buying like yours to save the hassle.
You mention portable panels costing more, do you have a link?
Thanks
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #31

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stev View Post
Very nice. Appreciate your pictures.
I was thinking of making my own.
Or just buying like yours to save the hassle.
You mention portable panels costing more, do you have a link?
Thanks
Stev,
Portable suitcase panel systems cost more than raw panels, but when adding up the controller and wire the costs are comparable.
Reasons for building your own: You like to tinker, You want a different controller type or capacity, You want a different stand, You want the controller mounted near the batteries. Not because it is cheaper.
The systems are plug and play and you don't need to understand electron behavior.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #32

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am about ready to pull the trigger on an a' la cart system from Amazon. One of the 100W Renogy kits is about right but I really don't want "portable" panels as large as the 100s. And the 50W kits come with only a 10A controller which limits expandability. And I am concerned about the durability of the smaller controller. So, I think I will order a 50W mono panel, a 30A controller, and some connectors and make my own system. I have a lot of old 12 gauge and make my own "suitcase" panel rig. What I am thinking is to make a pole mount for the tongue and back bumper of the trailer so I can get the panels up off the ground and still be able to orient them to the Sun. I think the ultimate is the roof of my Scamp 16 festooned with flexible panels laid flat. Maybe someday.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #33

Registry
Tim if you decide to go with the pole mount keep in mind that the angle the panels are at can play a big part in how well they work or don't work. The website www.solarpaneltilt.com has good info on the topic.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #34

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Just the opinion of a novice, but screwing down 12 awg wire into the Renogy 30 amp charge controller doesn't make the best connection. 14 awg fits the screw down fine, but I had to trim a few strands of wire off to get the 12 awg to fit.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you were considering a pole mount you might want to look at this style for ideas.
IronRidge UNI-SA/14.0 Single Arm Mount 14" Hardware

I liked the way it clamped on and could be folded down for storage or up at different angles as Carol mentioned. Looked like a design I could make out of some channel.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've considered using the mounts for the small satellite dishes you frequently see on the side of the road on garbage day. One more thing on my roundtoit list.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
What fits on the connectors makes a difference as to what wire you can use but heavier gauge wire is always better. When first reading your post I was inclined to recommend 10 AWG wire, that said, I had problems with my Blue Sky 30 controller accepting the maximum size they recommend, 8 AWG. I had to use 10 AWG to get it to fit into the controller without strands all over the place.

However, what I did, and you can do, is immediately change to a thicker gauge. Your biggest loss in charging ability will be lost between the controller and the battery. Here is where you want at least 10 AWG or thicker wire. Using 12 AWG wire is a bit like every time you go to the gas station you only put in 3/4ths of a tank. You will not get the batteries to their fullest charge. Your car runs on a 3/4ths of a tank as will your batteries, but they will discharge sooner.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #38

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Just the opinion of a novice, but screwing down 12 awg wire into the Renogy 30 amp charge controller doesn't make the best connection. 14 awg fits the screw down fine, but I had to trim a few strands of wire off to get the 12 awg to fit.
Huck,
You'd think they would have lugs to accept 8 ga. for 30 amps. How did you terminate your wires? If your battery is far from your controller you may even want larger than 8 ga. to lessen voltage drop.
Russ
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #39

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now my battery box is in a fiberglass enclosure on my tongue... are their decent waterproof controllers?
Attached Thumbnails
26.jpg   35.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #40

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Now my battery box is in a fiberglass enclosure on my tongue... are their decent waterproof controllers?
Deryk,
That's a good question. You would think the ones they use on their suitcase systems would be weather proof, but I don't know if any of the stand alone controllers are. I mounted my Morningstar in a weatherproof NEMA box, but it was a little work to git er done.
Russ

Tags
solar