Portable solar charger from Renogy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #41

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
That's a thought... put it in an enclosure and attach it to my battery box to keep the wire run short.... I'm still not sure...I might attach one to my roof and 1 portable because honestly I prefer camping in the shade lol.... now in my mom's driveway the top one will keep my battery topped off and the portable one would work when I'm camping in the shade... have a little length or wire to move it around.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Deryk,
I originally was concerned about sun angles, shade, crummy weather ect. prior to installing a 100 watt mono-crystaline panel with a single group 27 battery, but after having used this se-up for a couple of years, while traveling up the wet coast, those fears left. I noticed that as soon as it started to get light (prior to the sun actually cresting the horizon) the panel started producing electricity. Obviously if one needs to extract every measure of sunlight, angles, tracking the suns path, etc would be crucial, but to replace 30 or less amp hours of electricity used throughout the previous night, what I had, was sufficient to bring the battery up to 13.2 by the end of the day. Of note, I was running a NoveKool 12 volt refrigerator 24/7 for a couple of months at a time, as well as watching a couple of movies each night and recharging laptop, phones, walkie talkies, all "off the grid". I think you should start with a single perm. mounted 100 watt panel and see if would be enough for your needs, as you can always add a suit-case unit, or another perm. mounted one at a later date.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01213.jpg   DSC01214.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #43

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Stev,
Portable suitcase panel systems cost more than raw panels, but when adding up the controller and wire the costs are comparable.
Reasons for building your own: You like to tinker, You want a different controller type or capacity, You want a different stand, You want the controller mounted near the batteries. Not because it is cheaper.
The systems are plug and play and you don't need to understand electron behavior.
Russ
I dunno...there seems to be a premium for splitting the panel in two. I just paid $125 for a 100W panel and two 5M power cables with MC4 connectors on them and $18 for a 15A controller. The delta I've seen is about $100.
Bill in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #44

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Just the opinion of a novice, but screwing down 12 awg wire into the Renogy 30 amp charge controller doesn't make the best connection. 14 awg fits the screw down fine, but I had to trim a few strands of wire off to get the 12 awg to fit.

My 20 AMP Renogy MPPT Controller has pretty big lugs. I have not "measured" them but before I bought I asked Renogy and they said #4 would fit. Just by looking I think that is correct if quite snug. I have no plans to ever go larger than #6 so should be fine.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar