Portable solar charger from Renogy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Portable solar charger from Renogy

When I put together my solar charging system I purchased my panels from Renogy. I am impressed with the performance and craftsmanship of their panels.
They just sent me a marketing email showcasing their new 100 watt Solar Suitcase. It is a ready to go system similar to what some of you have assembled. You just unfold the hinged panels, put out the kick stand, and hook the cable to your battery. A 10 amp solar controller is panel mounted making it plug and play. I don't know how long the leads are, so you may need an extension cord to place the panels where the sun shines.
They sent a coupon code for 10% off : "solarcase"
Check it out if you like.

Solar Suitcase - Renogy Solar Panels

Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Russ, I am looking at Renogy panels myself. The price seems right and like to hear what you bought and how it is working out for you.
I looked at thier store online and was looking for 2 50 watt panels, one to attach to the roof and one to move around if and when needed. No such thing, only 1 100 watt panel in a "kit". Which controller did you go with or did you buy yours as a kit?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, that looks appealingly dummy-proof.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

California
Shawn,
I did not use a kit. They didn't offer the folding kick stand type when I put mine together. I purchased two 100W monocrystalline panels and made my own stands. I posted some info in a past post that outlined what I did.
The controller I used was a mppt Tristar unit that was overkill for the 2 panel system. You may be best off to just have both panels portable, as you will have to store the one portable panel anyway. 2 panels will just be a little thicker, and roughly 22"x25". The controller can be mounted to the panel that way. You just have to use as large wire as you feel you can handle to preserve voltage. I am using 8 ga. twin marine cable, which is flexible and handles well. My tethers are 30' long and allow pretty good placement options, and have worked well avoiding the long winter shadows. I don't know if the Renogy suitcase system comes with long wire or what gauge it is, but they probably worked it out to function. If you skimp on the wire it will just take longer to charge, which could be bad during cloudy days.
Russ
link to Mono panels:http://www.renogy-store.com/MonoCrys...nel-s/1831.htm
Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Florida
Russ, I am seeing Renogy 100 watt solar kit for about 160 dollars on Amazon and Ebay. The whole package. I "think" is a great deal. I just got a email from them saying I can replace the one 100 watt panel for two 50 watt panels for a extra 49 dollars. So for about 200 dollars I can have a 2 panel solar system from Renogy. Does this sound like a good deal or should I still cut bait?
I did a Google search on Renogy and as far as I have read they are good and make or sell a good product. Even better than the new Health Care law (tax)! Lol.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Florida
Here is the one from Amazon for the Monocrystalline unit. Solar Panel Starter Kit 100W Monocrystalline:100W Solar Panel UL 1703 Listed+2 20' Solar cables+PWM 30A Charge Controller+ Uniquely Designed Z Bracket Mounts - Amazon.com
I am pretty sure I saw it cheaper on Ebay
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

California
Shawn,
Using 2 50w panels in lieu of 1 100w allows you to split the system like you described, and would have electrically identical outcome. Just remember to avoid shadows at all costs if mounting on the roof, as that really whacks the output.
Russ
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Florida
Russ, The reasons I want a split system is I have a sweet Yamaha Generator but my Boler stays in storage under the sun everyday and I can set the MaxFan on auto so it will cool down and get fresh air while I am not around. I think a 50 watt panel will do the trick and when we boondock under the shade I can always put the other panel in the sun. Also I could use the other panel at home when not camping!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Here's another folding kit available from Solar Blvd. that someone posted here on the forum a few weeks ago, can't remember who it was, but it comes with a built in controller and a case. 125 watt $190! You might be able to separate it and make it work for your needs.

Solarblvd

Spanke
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #10

Florida
David, you got me thinking! But it doesn't tell me what the brand is and the cable length is very very short. The other problem would be the controller would have to be installed on the inside and not on the panel because one would be on the roof and the other wouldn't.
Am I the only one that would like one on the roof and the other to be able to be moved around as needed? I think it is a great ideal but who am I? I do like the 60 watt per panel. No one that I have seen has a duel system. One mounted and the other portable. I would think others would like a system like this too but maybe it is just me.....
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I have read the web site for the Renogy Solar Suitcase and I have a number of thoughts I would like to share. First, it is hard to evaluate because they do not give the specifications on the two most critical parts: the solar controller they provide and the gauge of wire used.

The major design flaw, and this is common to numerous other similar portable products, is the distance from the solar controller to the battery. Recommended distances are "as close as possible" or use very heavy gauge wire, 8 for example between the controller and the battery. Distances should be kept to 3 feet or less would be my recommendation. Because they mount the "waterproof 10 amp controller" on the panel and provide 16 feet of unknown gauge wire with the recommendation not to use more wire, we see a red flag waving.

My second concern would be what voltages this controller is going to be putting out, especially with 16 feet of wire between. We do not know.

Wire gauge is of minor concern between the panel and the controller. Often time 14 gauge will allow runs of up to 100 feet. Gauge between the controller and battery is critical, as is the distance.

Could this be made into a functional unit? Possibly. You would need to remove the controller from the panel and place it next to your battery. I would use the Anderson Power Pole products to make the connections. I have successfully used a 100 foot 14 gauge extension cord. Simply purchase a male and female three way plug and add to your wiring. For short runs joint the plugs, for long runs add an extension cord of a desirable length. Can you tell what type of solar panel it is? Monocrystalline or Polycrystalline, it would be nice to know.

Finally, I worry about the controller. For Interstate batteries the manufacturer recommends an absorption rate of 15.3. Trojan recommends a 14.8 absorption rate. There are very few solar controllers that can reach these recommendations. The Tristar unit that was mentioned above is one, an excellent controller and I do not think it is overkill. Check what your batteries recommend for an absorption rate, it should be available on their website. Because of the variety of brands your experience may vary.

If you want to take your solar knowledge to the next level I would recommend you try Handy Bob's Blog. There is a wealth of information about solar, batteries, charging and wiring. A must read before spending $200+.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Shawn, As someone who thinks outside the box, I would like to eventually have about 200 W on the roof of the trailer, and convert the rock guard to a removable solar cell that is as large, in terms of wattage, as possible,. Actually one on the front and back windows. This will be less difficult on a Trillium, since the windows are all flat. It would be necessary for the removable solar cells to have a plug in connection that would allow a large gauge extension cable to be used when removed.

The design is still percolating in my head. I plan to maintain the look of Trillium's rock guard. The solar cells will face toward the window when traveling, and flip over to expose the solar cells. But, before I get to the solar cells, there are about a 100 jobs ahead of that.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I found the post about the Solar Blvd Panels. It is the last post in the thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...kit-60360.html

I think no matter how you go you will need to make some custom cables to meet your needs. The ends are readily available and wire will cost what it costs. A small price to pay to get what will work for you!

The controller might just be screwed to the back of the panel and could be relocated.

You might try sending a PM to arlon to discuss details of the panels. Who knows, might be worth a try.

Spanke
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
You may get the chance to see a combined system soon. I have the stock Escape 95 watt solar panel on the roof of my 17, and will be stopping by Solar Blvd in a week or so to pick up their 125 watt folding panel.

While I don't need the additional panel when parked in the sun in summer, both shade & winter solar angles keep me from a full recovery some days. I have the 6V option, have lots of electronics, a 1000 watt inverter, and have been down as much as 40 amp hours this winter, even here in Arizona.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #15

Florida
Jon, you said you have a unit on your roof already. How are you going to hook up your new folding system? Will it tie in with what you already have or will you have 2 separate solar systems? Will you have a junction box to tie the folding system in with your roof mount system and just plug in the folding system as needed? If so it the plans in your head or paper?
I did find on Ebay after many hours searching the net, a store that sells kits with two panels systems in the 65 and 85 watt. I thought two 50 watt panels would be great but 2 65 watts would work great. Here is the link to the site
Solar Panel Kit Panneau Solaire 130W 130 Watt 2 65W Mono 12V 15A LCD Boat RV | eBay
I called them (in Canada) and asked about leaving one pnl on the roof and have one moveable if or when needed. He wasn't crazy about it but I think with extra wire and a junction box it should work. The charge controller has a LCD display so that will save me buying a display that I can read.
I am open for the pros or and cons.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I have two choices - bypass the controller on the portable panel & parallel it with the solar panel on the roof or add a connector on the outside of the trailer that feeds to the electrical system on the input side of my battery monitor and use the controller built into the portable panel.

My choice is to go with the second solution - individual controllers, unless sometime in the future I decide to switch to an MPPT controller. Both the portable & built in controllers are PWM which are not as efficient as the far more expensive MPPT controller. The problem is once you get above a 15 amp MPPT controller, the price jumps high enough that an additional panel or two may be a less expensive solution (provided you have the room).

If you really want to know the state of charge of your battery, I strongly suggest purchasing a monitor in addition to the readout on the charge controller.

A real monitor such as a Trimetric 2025 will keep track of actual amp hours in & out, rather than just give a voltage measurement. For example, right now both the LED's built into the trailer's basic battery monitor & the GoPower solar controller show the batteries at 100%, however the Trimetric 2025 shows that I am still down by 8 amp hours from a fully charged batteries.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #17

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
So I read all the threads in this message and just want to double check - are y'all talking about using solar panels to charge the battery in lieu of a generator? My husband and I would really like to use solar instead of a noisy generator when camping off the grid, so I am very interested in all this... We have a 13' Scamp with 1 deep cycle marine battery, so are looking at options. LOVE this site!! : )
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #18

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Anne, solar is Great! but it wont run your air conditioner(well with a normal sized battery bank)

I want to add solar to my rooftop to be able to run the roof fan, and thinking of adding a few fans inside as well. But when its hot and humid Im firing up the yamaha for the ac!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azooey73 View Post
So I read all the threads in this message and just want to double check - are y'all talking about using solar panels to charge the battery in lieu of a generator? My husband and I would really like to use solar instead of a noisy generator when camping off the grid, so I am very interested in all this... We have a 13' Scamp with 1 deep cycle marine battery, so are looking at options. LOVE this site!! : )
Anne,
Solar system is exactly that. You can replenish energy spent each night the next sunny morning. It is clean quiet energy.
Russ
Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Jon, what did you decide to use for the connection through the trailer wall?

Tags
solar