Possible to run without 12v? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: M
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Possible to run without 12v?

My wife and I just picked up a trillium 1300 and are excited to fix it up and make it our own. We have no plans to take it off grid, so it will only be used when plugged in to 110v power.

The wiring in this trailer is a little bit of a rats nest and I am not comfortable with any of it so I plan to take my time and rewire from scratch. Given that I have absolutely no need to ever run it when not plugged in, would it be unheard of to just wire it with 110v?

Thank you kindly!
Wackyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Here in the USA, many National and State Parks do not have electric hookups. Many province parks I have stayed at didn't either.

"Absolutely no need to ever" is really a strong statement. If it is based on years of extensive camping experience, then sure, the choice is yours.

I do a lot of dry camping when I am making miles (heading to or from a destination). Here in the US, truck stops, Walmarts, and many others are common quick overnight stops. And many of my destinations are dry camping (typically at national parks).

FWIW, my Trillium 1300 came with no battery power, and required shore power (120V AC) to run anything. It was one of my first changes.

I stayed in several US National Parks this year, NONE had electric hookups. More and more people are going solar, which includes a good battery and 12V wiring.

Dry camping with no 12V means continually running a generator, which is forbidden at all parks I have stayed at.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I concur.

If I had to be connected to AC while camping, I'd just stay home.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well you could... BUT, you're going to need some 12v wiring for the exterior lights. You're sharing the road with the rest of us, we want you to be safe.

IF/when you're off-grid, just use it as a hard-sided tent. People camp all the time in tents .
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We only have 110 and propane in our boler and have been in it a 1 year in the last 7.
BUT, be prepared to pay more for a camp site in private rv parks.
'round here anyway not many provincial pks have 110.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyrooster View Post
My wife and I just picked up a trillium 1300 and are excited to fix it up and make it our own. We have no plans to take it off grid, so it will only be used when plugged in to 110v power.

The wiring in this trailer is a little bit of a rats nest and I am not comfortable with any of it so I plan to take my time and rewire from scratch. Given that I have absolutely no need to ever run it when not plugged in, would it be unheard of to just wire it with 110v?

Thank you kindly!
you can of course do that if you want to. Between rechargeable battery banks, rechargeable light fixtures and such you can do without having a large 12v battery and circuits if you wish to do so.

For lighting you can use some battery powered LED lights or better yet some that have a built in rechargeable battery. Those can be charged up while you are driving your vehicle. I just got a slim 500 lumen, rehargeable light from NEBO. I love that brand they have great quality. I do have a 12v system but it is my backup light and I can move it around to various areas when I want a brighter light in a particular spot. https://www.nebotools.com/p/SLIM/542

Nebo just came out with a 700 lumen version of this rechargeable slim light that can be used as a battery backup for cell phones and such. I will be adding it to my Christmas wish list if friends or family want to for some strange reason give me a gift

https://www.nebotools.com/p/SLIM%2B/647

I also have NIMH batteries and a charger for them. I use those in various small LED lights such as the tap lights that can be put over your stove, table, flashlights or in portable lanterns.

Plus I have two camping lanterns that have a solar panel on them to recharge those lights. Of course they can also be plugged into 110v for recharging.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Amazing responses!

Thank you everyone for really helpful responses!

I was planning to leave the 12v just as the trailer light hookup independent from the wiring in the camper.

I do have to seriously consider whether I need a battery or not. Is there a way to have a battery option but leave it out completely if we are going somewhere with 110v service?
Cheers,
Marco
Wackyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can also buy candles cheap at Costco.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:07 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Thank you everyone for really helpful responses!

I was planning to leave the 12v just as the trailer light hookup independent from the wiring in the camper.

I do have to seriously consider whether I need a battery or not. Is there a way to have a battery option but leave it out completely if we are going somewhere with 110v service?
Cheers,
Marco
Yes there are lots of options for that. Use the keywords below. But it is handy to take along for power outages and of course handy to have at home for that as well.

Portable Power Station
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
no 12VDC == no water pump. no heater fan. no maxxfan/fantastic fan for ventilation. I've never seen 120VAC camper interior lighting, either, so you'll be adapting household lighting fixtures, or using battery lanterns.

our last major road trip left coast -> utah and back, out of 3 weeks total, visiting 3 campgrounds, we dry camped w/o electricity 3 nights going there, 2 nights going home, also one campground we couldn't get a hookup site, so 5 nights there was dry. so really, out of that 3 weeks, only 10 days we had hookups.

re: removable battery, ugh. typical RV battery weighs 60-80 lbs, and is securely ensconsed in a battery box, thats hard wired to the power center/voltage converter that acts as a fuse panel, and battery charger when plugged into shore power.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
My Campster had both kinds of electric fixtures, I added an electric heater (wall mount) and when I was off the grid used an LED lantern and charging banks for things like the phone. I had a propane heater (portable) if I'd ever needed to heat but never did. (And would not have run it overnight if I had.) Water was manual anyway and I didn't use it. Fridge was an icebox. It just wasn't a problem. I'd miss it now because the propane furnace requires a fan and the Escape doesn't have poptop ventilation like the Campster so I use the overhead fan, too.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
No breakaway brakes!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that without a 12V battery, there will be no emergency braking when the trailer and tow go down separate paths after parting ways............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

Thank you kindly!
If you are willing to rewire the trailer for 120VAC, consider learning a bit more to properly wire it for 12VDC too. Many devices for boats and RVs are manufactured and built to operate on 12VDC. The same is not always true of 120VAC devices. As just one example, while there are special 120VAC receptacles manufactured to install in RVs, I don't know that the same can be said of light fixtures.

I think that by electing to only install 120VAC, you would be breaking new ground to establish safe installations where there is already an accessible trail paved with many devices manufactured to utilize 12VDC. Consequently, you may find yourself faced with many custom or specialized installations. I am not clear what the advantage or benefit of this extra work might be.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Some Trillium 1300 have electric trailer brakes. Your breakaway switch will not function unless you have a charged trailer battery...

Charlie & I must have had the same thoughts at the same time!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Some Trillium 1300 have electric trailer brakes. Your breakaway switch will not function unless you have a charged trailer battery...

Charlie & I must have had the same thoughts at the same time!
Yes but very many trailers do not have break-away switches at all. No Scamp has one unless added after it was built. And those trailers that do have a break-away switch but do not have a house battery instead use a small battery dedicated to the break-away device. Some use a dedicated battery even with a house battery. So it has some but little bearing on whether the OP needs a 12 volt house system. My tent does not have 12 volt wiring or battery and if he wants to live that way, thats fine. Running lights powered by tug always required of course. And we can discuss the need for a break-away switch and why I added one to my Scamp, but thats a different topic from the "need" for 12 volts in the living quarters.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Check out the wiring diagram for a Trillium in the document center. Once you have wiring for the outside lights (required for towing), and if you wire it for 120V AC, then the final 12V DC wiring is not very complicated at all.

My 1977 Trillium came with ONE 12V DC circuit total, and ONE 120V AC circuit. I changed the power center, I now have two 120V AC circuits, and three 12V DC circuits.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #17

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Don't forget about resale value. T trailer with 110v and 12DC options should pull a better price.
Junkboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Thank you kindly!
Think of resale also. If you ever wanted to resell your trailer or trade it in the value would be less since most people want lights, fridge, pump for water, etc. I would never even consider an RV or any kind without 12V. Guess you don't have a toilet in it. I am more afraid of 110V than 12V. While you are rewiring I'd put in the 12V.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #19

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
You absolutely can do without 12 volt if you want. Just wire everything 120 ac and take out the batteries and charger.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, it is possible to use a trailer without 12V. It is possible to use a trailer like a tent just for sleeping. Each mechanical system- 110V, 12V, LP, plumbing- adds utility and comfort. You have to decide for yourself whether the value of each system is worth the cost and trouble to install and maintain.

For us the value of the 12V system lies in the convenience of always-ready lights, the flexibility to camp without hookups when desired or when not available, and the ability to add extras like a furnace, water pump, powered roof vent, LP detector, all of which require 12V power.

Wiring is easiest to install now, while things are apart. 12V wiring is a common source of RV fires, so it’s not something to take lightly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote