Power Converter Issues - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
See this link: B&D Acquires Vector...
Like I said.....Black and Decker acquires Vector ?

Thanks
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Morgan, actually, BOTH my old, standalone, one with internal 12VDC fuse panel and one with external panel, converters were Magnateks.

When I hauled the carcass of the last one into an RV dealer repair shop, the counter guy took one glance and said 'We can't get parts for those anymore' to which I replied 'You won't be able to tell the next guy that! Enjoy!', put it on the counter and walked out.

On the first one, I called Magnatek and asked the tech guy about battery charging. He told me I would be a lot happier if I got a real battery charger (and that was before the current intelligent chargers).

Re the Vector, the ideal battery charging arsenal would include a large one with jumpstarting capabilities and a small, smart, 'maintenance' charger for the small batteries and for long-term storage. I have helped wire in the latter kind on a friend's boat and for his Jaguar (Sir Henry Lucas, aka the Prince of Darkness, equipped it with a computer that drains the starting battery during more than a few weeks storage).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Like I said.....Black and Decker acquires Vector ?

Thanks
Ed

Somehow I missed that, Ed. I thought you said that Vector is just an OEM manufacturer for Black and Decker.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
I lost my 12v converter in my 05 Scamp 5vr. The last few weeks before it went out, while plugged into shore power the 12v lights were pulsing(bright-dim-bright-dim) and finally last Sunday the 12v system went out completely. I do not get the pulse affect while running on battery only and all 12v items work good wile on battery. Scamp wants $160 for the unit(American Enterprises CS2000XL), the manufacturer sells them direct for $95 so I bought one off Ebay brand new for $58 total including shipping. Oh and by the way, I was trying to figure out why Scamp wants so much for the converter so I called them and asked if it came with the circuit breakers and sure enough it didn't.
I received the new converter today and it did seem new although it must have been sitting around in a warehouse for a while because it had a 9/03 manufacturer date. I replaced it this evening and everything seems to be good, although I have not yet checked all the 12v devices it runs.

I think Pete has an excellent idea just adding a 12v charger/maintainer of some kind tied into the existing 12v backbone. I believe that is what I will do if I loose another converter.

Blair
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Are you aware that Black & Decker bought Vector? I bought a Vector charger and it will not charge small batteries like the one in my mower (12AH), trimmer (10AH) or quad (24AH) - all are 12 volt. I don't know how it knows, but it won't do anything with a small battery.
Yes, and my Vector Smart Charger (about a 25 amp charger w. 75 amp boost feature) won't charge a dead battery. If the battery is stone dead, it flashes a battery fault code so you cannot cause damage.

That limits the usefulness of the charger in my mind, though in theroy one shouldn't completely deplete a battery (on purpose anyway).

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #26

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
BLMcClur - That is exactly what mine did at the end of last year. Several of us were sitting at night around a campfire and noticed the porchlight on the outside of my camper was pulsing. We were not sure what was happening, checked out the electrically supply at the campsite and it was okay and the battery was charged so I didn't think too much about it. Put the camper away for the winter and now for the first trip of the season no converter.

Last night we got the front of the converter taken off but after discussing my options I believe we are just going to put it back together and add a charger to the battery. It just make more sense than replacing it. It sounds like maybe this particular converter is not quite up to snuff and I do not want to put another one it and have the same issue.

Thanks for speaking up about your experience. It makes my decision easier.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
If the battery is stone dead, it flashes a battery fault code so you cannot cause damage.
I suggest trying it a few times. Each attempt pushes some charge into the battery, and it may eventually be enough to continue... it has worked that way at least once for me. You can also start the charging with a manual (or simple automatic) charger (or a solar panel), then complete it properly with the smart charger.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I would guess that if the battery voltage is too low, the Vector thinks either there's no battery there or the battery is defective. If repeated restarts don't put in enough charge to get past this condition, run some jumper cables (or even some lighter wire might work for this purpose) between the tow vehicle and trailer batteries so the Vector can sense some voltage and start doing its thing. Might even be able to use a small 9V battery for this purpose.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote