Progressive dynamics 4045 DC wiring - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #29
Name: James
Trailer: triple e
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I was told by PD that the extra bussbar was to meet CSA standards. I use it as the 120vac ground buss point.

The 12 VDC line from the battery to the PD-4045 will also charge the battery

I found a 10 amp breaker for the converter, but they are hard to find. 15a or 20a for the outlets is fine and a 30A main breaker is OK as long as you provide a 30 amp shore power cord and plug.
Great! Thanks again Bob, much appreciated.

hudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #30
Trailer: Trillium
Hate to jump in in the middle of a discussion, but im confused, the picture i see has the 4 place bus bar (in the lower right corner)labelled as 120V hot, not 12V.
This would be the incoming hot from the power cable, not a junction point for grounds, unless all other hot leads are removed.
Left as wired from PD, this is where the incoming power cable hot lead would connect, then a jumperfrom there to the Main breaker, then feed out to house circuits from individual breakers. If you want the ability to turn your converter off, then remove the black 120V lead from this bus bar, and move it to the output of an individual breaker. Be carefull to use the provided neutral and ground busbars in the right order for 120v wiring, ground is for bare copper or green ground wires only, neutral is for white neutral wires only. Reversing these could cause a shock potential in some circumstances

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #31
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Yes, the buss bar you mentioned is labeled 120 VAC, but, at least in the U.S., there is no requirement to use it for that purpose. As the incoming hot lead can be connected directly to the bottom side of the main breaker, leaving that buss bar free, it can be used for any other purpose one might have. Unless there was a recent change, on the seven PD-4045's I have installed, I didn't have a ground buss bar to work with, so the unused bar worked just fine.

As I mentioned, this is also what the manufacturer gave the okey-dokey to do with that buss bar as well, as long as CSA compliance wasn't required.

BTW: I can't imagine installing one of these units without a way to turn power to converter OFF, that may even be illegal by most codes, and is unacceptable by my own code....LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote