Progressive Dynamics converter quirks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Progressive Dynamics converter quirks

Recently I undertook the project of replacing the battery and propane tank supports on our 2002 Bigfoot 21RB since they were rusty. It was going to take me a few days tinkering around to get it all done and I wanted to keep the RV plugged in so I could have the dehumidifier running inside. For that reason I taped up the positive battery lead real well so it couldn't start 4th of July early. I finished up the refurbishing of the battery/tank mounts and as I was hooking the battery back up, just for giggles I figured I would check to make sure the converter was doing its' thing so I checked the voltage before hooking it up and it was 12.6 volts. I hooked up the battery leads and checked again and it still read 12.6v???? I went around and checked the disconnect switch and it was lit up. I was puzzled because it had been charging and I had done nothing that could have let the smoke out of the converter like welding and such. I checked the wiring closely from the battery back to the disconnect relay and all was well. I checked the converter with a meter and it was showing an output of 13.6v. I went back to the battery and still 12.6v. I got suspicious of the disconnect switch even though it is lit up. I had my wife unplug the RV and plug it back in while I watched and listened inside. When she plugged it in, the indicator light came on but the relay did not click. I went back and checked the battery voltage.....12.6. Went back and manually pushed the engage side of the disconnect switch and I heard the relay click. Went back and checked the battery...13.4v. So, everything is okay except it is my understanding that when the power cord is plugged in it activates the relay so the batteries get charged without having to manually push the button.(which is not so bad if I remember). This converter is a Progressive Dynamics PD4600 series with built in Charge Wizard. It is a converter replacement kit for the original Parallax/Magnetek 6300 series. What I'm wondering is if what I am seeing is the norm or is there is a wire missing or secret fuse somewhere to replace to make the relay click on when plugging in the power cord. Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180910_101015 (Small).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	124451

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180910_101032 (Small).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	124452
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhitch View Post
=What I'm wondering is if what I am seeing is the norm or is there is a wire missing or secret fuse somewhere to replace to make the relay click on when plugging in the power cord. Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.
What relay are you expecting to click when shore power is applied?
The disconnect switch is manually switched is it not?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #3

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
There is a rocker switch just inside the door that either connects or disconnects the battery from the system by means of a relay. What I am wondering if the Progressive Dynamics converter should be charging the battery anytime the power cord is plugged in to AC regardless of the state of the relay.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhitch View Post
There is a rocker switch just inside the door that either connects or disconnects the battery from the system by means of a relay. What I am wondering if the Progressive Dynamics converter should be charging the battery anytime the power cord is plugged in to AC regardless of the state of the relay.
On mine - the disconnect is between the battery and everything else.
So no it will not charge if disconnected.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote