Propane issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Propane issue

My dual tank propane system has an indicator showing which tank is being used by the Scamp. However, it never seems to change. This year I was careful to watch it and always turned on both tanks simultaneously when headed out. We refrigerate on the road with propane. I had expected to exhaust a tank this year. At the end of the season one tank was empty (19 lbs), the other 23 lbs. the indicator never switched to the other tank.

So a couple questions:
1 should I just replace the control?
1.1 Have you had this problem?
2 this is a 2013 Scamp. How often do you replace the exterior hose lines.
3 do you disconnect your tanks for the winter? I have not done so. I cover the Scamp and have put plastic over the tanks, but they are exposed to Wisconsin winter weather.
4 Another forum topic had warnings about DIY propane activity. It seems to me that connecting hoses, or replacing them as long as the gas is off shouldn't be only an expert's job. People replace tanks and connect grills regularly everywhere.

Here are a few photos:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1479247276.277479.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	101279Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1479247317.068156.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	101280Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1479247383.701882.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	101281

Dave S
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Because you have a photograph with snow in the background I refuse to answer your questions.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Registry
If you have any question about your regulator, replace it. There are so many problems with them it is just better to replace. This one of those items that some people carry as a spare. Does that say something?

I will defer to others on hose replacement, is there not a cover on the tanks? Two of the hoses are an easy replacement and a common part. If it is exposed, that third hose (main) could be wrapped in something. I would suspect sun will do more damage than cold. I simply turn off the tank over the winter, but most hoses are under the cover or fastened to the frame so they get minimal sun.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
cover the open hose ends, and if the tanks are left unhooked there are caps or plastic plugs available to protect the valve opening. Worst thing I ever saw when I did heating system service was a customer stored their 20 lb propane tank inside right next to their oil fired furnace. Don't do that, and don't store them on dirt or grass as it may cause the bottom to rust.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Following up on my regulator probable malfunction. I intend to replace it. Which would you recommend and is the Manchester one that Scamp sells a two stage one?
Scamp:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1481236511.162235.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	101661
Or Amazon one from Flame King:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1481236591.051812.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	101662

Thanks.

Dave S
Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I thought I was having problems with my regulator. I went to their website and read the instructions. The instructions read that the indicator will move and show red. It doesn't flip the lever all the way to the other side you have to do that manually. In the case of my regulator You turn the regulator lever to the bottle you want to start on. Then slowly open the bottle valve on the same side. Then open the valve on the other bottle slowly. When one bottle runs down the red indicator shows and swaps over to the other bottle. When you see the indicator showing the internal valve should have switched over. you then manually switch over the the regulator valve. This is supposed to cut any flow to the empty bottle side so you close that open valve and disconnect your empty bottle while its running on the other bottle. On my regulator you must flip the manual regulator switch to remove a bottle while the system is running.

That is what the instructions for my regulator says to do. Other systems and instructions may widely vary in operation so seek proper instruction for the regulator and gas system you are using. For years I though the gas lever would switch on its own. I mistakenly thought I was doing it right until one cold night when my supposedly full bottle wouldn't produce the gas I needed.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
David, a two stage regulator is the one that you want, and Manchester is a good brand.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I thought I was having problems with my regulator. I went to their website and read the instructions. The instructions read that the indicator will move and show red. . .

Steve,
I expected as you did. Note the center photo of my first posting. There is a slight red showing on the right side of the indicator. I had not noticed that. Is that the indicator you refer to? If so, I may not need a new one. I just need to be more observant. Thanks for the clarification on how this regulator works. I too expected to see the knob turn, but I couldn't understand what force would move it.

David, am I Scamping?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I'm in agreement with Paul Braun. If in doubt, change it out. When I store tanks not on the trailer or on the enclosure in my gas grill, hence up off the ground, I put the loose tank in one of those plastic milk crates set the crate up on a couple of 2X6s. This way it's up off the ground or floor and very unlikely to tip over. I make sure the plastic cap is covering the threads on the tank too. This works for me. The milk crate works on trips to town for a refill too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
Steve,
I expected as you did. Note the center photo of my first posting. There is a slight red showing on the right side of the indicator. I had not noticed that. Is that the indicator you refer to? If so, I may not need a new one. I just need to be more observant. Thanks for the clarification on how this regulator works. I too expected to see the knob turn, but I couldn't understand what force would move it.

David, am I Scamping?
Correct.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Not to steal this thread, but when you store empty propane tanks, do you store them with the valve open or closed? I have heard people say both open and closed...just curious what is the correct method of storing empty tanks. Or does it really matter?
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why would you store empty tanks? I keep my tanks full and try to keep the gas tank in my car at least half full in the event of an earthquake or some other catastrophic event. Full propane tanks mean I have fuel for my BBQ to cook, and I have fuel for the propane furnace, the stove and the fridge in my trailer. I have seven 6 gal. water containers. I would never store them empty.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:50 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
X2 with what Glenn said....but if you were to store an empty tank for a while before filling when it's convenient, I would close the valve and cap it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Registry
If you open the valve on an unconnected empty propane tank, that tank needs to be purged before it can be refilled. The gas store that I frequent (U-Haul) charges extra to purge a tank. I believe it is $5. They may not charge it with a new tank but some recent tanks I purchased at our local farm store advertised that they were already purged. I seem to recall that the tanks that Escape provided in 2010 on my 19 were unfilled but purged.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our old unit had no lever and you had to shut both valves to change a tank, new one will automatically switch so furnace will not stop till both empty. If both not empty Valve will shut automatically on side opposite the on side of lever. We sill use a 5lb tank to prevent leakage while we get a full tank
Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I don't keep either tank open normally, as I use electricity if available, since I rarely, if ever, "boondock."
That said, if I do open a tank, I just open A tank, not both, even though I have the auto switch-over regulator as well. I want to know when I have an empty tank, so I can plan to have it filled while running off the other one. With auto switch-over regulators, and both tanks open, you won't know that you're completely out of propane until both tanks are totally depleted. Then you're screwed. At least using one at a time gives you a "heads-up" to get the empty refilled, and still leaves you a full tank to work off of. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #17

There is an indicator that tells you when a tank is empty. You just have to look.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Tanks

Considering the possibility of power outages, bad weather, and the general unpredictability of the next few days anytime as well as just plain convenience or to be able to help an unprepared neighbor or friend, I keep extra gasoline, water, diesel fuel, propane and foodstuffs at all times. Valves are always closed even if I've just emptied a tank and the cap covers the threads to protect them.We are fortunate to have a 24 X24 garage well away from our home where we can safely store flammable products. Be Prepared. Works for us.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is an indicator that tells you when a tank is empty. You just have to look.
Yes, I also know that Glenn, but who actually does check on the tank level status when everything is working fine, (right up until it quits working - then it's too late.) The problem is, if you don't physically go out and check, and it "flips over" to the second tank, if you're not on top of it, then you could wind up running completely out before you realize they're both empty. Game Over. It's one of those "out of sight, out of mind" things.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #20

I'll admit to running out both tanks once in eight years. But, if I can check fresh black and grey tank levels, and the battery, and how many cases of beer I have left, I can add a peek at the propane gauge.

Tags
propane