Pros/Cons Running Solar Cable Outside Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Pros/Cons Running Solar Cable Outside Trailer

My plan was to have the solar panel cables come through the roof to connect to the charge controller, then exit through the floor with battery cables to connect to battery.

So I'm thinking why not just run the solar cables down the front of the trailer, mount a box for the charge controller somewhere close to the battery, and then have just 3' of cable to the battery. I plan on having 2 y cables that will allow me to connect a portable solar panel if I choose to. I could locate the y cables in the box so they would be easily accessible.

Outside of appearance, is there any reason not to run the cables outside?

Any ideas on how to make it look pretty? If the cables were white, I might not even worry about it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I did in that way for a couple of years. It works, but you're right. It ain't pretty. I'm in the process of rewiring as soon as I finish building my amp/volt monitor.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Huck, wire it up like you are thinking, white sounds good. See how it all works for you cuz you can always change it later like Clif is doing. After a year or so the tech will change and you'll be thinking of another setup I'm betting . The mods never end.......
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Easiest route down from the roof is usually down the reefer vent.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Easiest route down from the roof is usually down the reefer vent.

Charlie Y
Great Idea, but ParkLiner doesn't have a vent on the roof for the fridge. Possibly could snake it down the vent for the water tank... but would be a longer cable run. I ran mine through the roof in the front bathroom...so if it ever did leak through the marine cable fitting it would drip into the shower.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Lowes sells a flat plastic conduit for routing computer wires. Two 10ga wires fit inside. Looks better than the naked wire.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I like deyrk's plan of coming down in the shower, it is in the right spot in my Scamp anyway. I also wonder about running a 1/2" white pvc water pipe down the front of the trailer. Not ideal but prettier than bare wires and certainly provides the wires adequte protection. Don't know how to mount the pipe though.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I like deyrk's plan of coming down in the shower, it is in the right spot in my Scamp anyway. I also wonder about running a 1/2" white pvc water pipe down the front of the trailer. Not ideal but prettier than bare wires and certainly provides the wires adequte protection. Don't know how to mount the pipe though.
I've been staring and measuring for the last couple of days. I think on the Parkliner, you almost have to go through the shower unless you run the cables through the vent.

Looking at the picture, you can see that to get to either side, you have to run the cables up over the ridge. And it's not high enough to run the cables through it sideways using a waterproof mount. I guess you could use grommets and drill a couple of holes and seal real good. Since it's on a vertical surface, it probably wouldn't leak as easily as the flat areas.

The flat area in front of the panel is the area over the shower.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I would keep the wires outside. The short run from controller to battery is advantageous in minimizing power losses anyway.

Personally, I kept my panel portable and set it on the ground when camping. Easy as it gets.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #10

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Lowes sells a flat plastic conduit for routing computer wires. Two 10ga wires fit inside. Looks better than the naked wire.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com

I would be concerned about UV deterioration.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
The fitting I used on mine going through my roof was designed for fiberglass boats so I'm pretty confident it will keep the water out.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lar-64512.html

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
The fitting I used on mine going through my roof was designed for fiberglass boats so I'm pretty confident it will keep the water out.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lar-64512.html
I was saying that if I wanted to go in through the closet instead of the bathroom, I would have to either go through the vertical piece or run the cable up to the higher part of the roof. If I went through the vertical, I don't think there is enough room for the type fitting you used. That's why I was saying maybe grommets and then sealing.

Tags
solar