Pure Sign Wave Inverter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Experience Report

As I stated earlier I had a 100 Watt and a 400 Watt non-sine wave inverter. Those both ran my laptop just fine at the time. I changed computers and added one for my wife. Both of those computers wouldn't work with either the 100 Watt or 400 Watt inverters. Nothing happened with 100 Watt, they just wouldn't run or charge the battery. The 400 Watt the circuit breaker kept tripping.
I changed to a pure sin-wave and both work as they're supposed too.

As was mentioned about harmonics, I suspected at the time the shape of the 60hz frequency was less important than the harmonics. I think the harmonics and the design of the computer power supply caused the problems.

Be careful what you read and believe on the internet, it might be exactly true.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Stick with sine wave inventor.. Cheap insurance for whatever you have on your computer and haven't yet backed up properly... Why take a chance.. Tv can be replaced not pictures and movies always

Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
For what its worth,modern inverters really are just switching power supplies.
Their input is just 12vdc and output is 120vac.

Many computers that need AC current to run just use switching supplies to do the same thing as the inverter really and many also can be used with dedicated switching supplies/inverters to let them run on a 12vdc input.
These are the supplies I try to find,designed to optimize my sensitive device for 12vdc use.

As with most electronics the more you spend the better quality device you might expect to get.
Going from nasty unfiltered,choppy square waves to pure,clean true sine waves are just the extra features that you pay for.

Some inverters work fine with many devices and other devices seem to require more heavily filtered and pure AC power to work correctly.

Buy what you need or buy more than you need to be safe.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote