Question About 15amp & 30amp Hookups - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frank,

The total of the breaker amps does not require a cord with an equal rating. For example, if you have four 15 amp breakers you do not require a 60 amp cord.

The function of the breakers is to protect the wiring that follows it. In practice there is no limit to the number of 15 amp breakers on the end of a 30 amp cord.

It should be clear that I am not arguing against a main breaker, it's primary purpose to protect the input power cord. I am saying that this function is provided at the power pole.

Of course the main breaker does permit the shutting off of all power to the trailer with one switch, though not much of an issue because the typical trailer will not have more than four breakers.

If you're putting in a new box by one can choose to add a main breaker, if you want to expand what you have, simply add breakers. Definitely if you're plugging into a 30 amp circuit a 30 amp power cord is appropriate.

Though we have a 30 amp power cord out of the trailer, when home we use a 20 amp power cord as an extension. From the safety perspective we are protected by our home's 20 amp breaker on the circuit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
The code has a 6 disconnect rule . Some inspectors would want a main breaker in an 6 /8 circuit panel because you "could "install 6 or more circuit breakers . NEC Art 551-43 C limits the number of 15 or 20 amp branch circuits in an RV to five or requires an automatic load management system, again we are up against the 6 disconnect rule . Campground electrical systems are subject to abuse ,weather conditions and are almost never exercised or tested . The 30 amp breaker in the campground panel may be corroded to a point where it functions as a switch only and not as an over current device . I have tested a 15 amp circuit breaker by applying a 50 amp load and the branch circuit conductor burned off and the breaker did not trip. The code is the BARE minimum and does not always represent best practice .

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #17

Florida
Steve,

Fortunately 4 breakers is the maximum in our Scamp and an inspector will never see it.

As to campground breakers, you are right, they are virtually never fault tested, For that matter breakers are rarely if ever tested on installation or any or time there after. They are assumed to work and statistically they do work well.

I will say that campground breakers are turned on and off more regularly than any breaker in your home and should always be turned off before removing your plug. The breaker should be turned off to protect the plug and outlet contacts from arcing for arcing will eventually harm the contacts.

(Humor and commentary on government) There is no doubt that we could use a few thousand annual breaker testers at $100,000 a piece running around the country doing annual inspections, it might save one house a decade. We do need the jobs....

Personally I believe you can go to 4 breakers in your trailer without a main breaker. I wonder how many Scamps ever built have one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I suppose that in a way it’s a measure of how much responsibility for your own safety you want to take. I’m thinking that one weighs the ability to detect a possible problem, the likelihood of failure and the consequences of said failure (Wowser! A DFMEA for you engineering wonks). Then one decides if you’re going leave it solely up to others to protect you and yours.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #19

Florida
Steve L. I definitely believe in doing the best you can within reasonable bounds of time and money to protect myself and others. In general I am careful.

I've wired three houses and three trailers without any issues. Actually replacing a single breaker with a double breaker in an old trailer may actually be a safety improvement.

A box with a main breaker is easy to install and if one is installing a new breaker panel, certainly get one with a main breaker if you want one. Personally in our Scamp 16, four breakers has been enough with out a main breaker. Can I think of scenarios where another main breaker would be advantageous, be more protective? Certainly!

I think my single axis trailer, though we've never had a problem, provides a higher vulnerability upon tire failure.

One can reach a point of over safety.... I notice that a high percentage of children do not have the freedom I did as a child, everything is more guided, more overseen, more controlled except for drugs, alcohol, and ..... Just a thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
Shouldn't the total breaker amps equal the supply cord max amps? i.e. 30 amp service cord=2 15 amp breakers & a 15amp #10 supply cord = 1 15 amp breaker?
Frank
Each breaker is sized to protect the wiring downstream to the outlets; ie - 14 gauge wire used to daisy chain up to 5 outlets (under most codes) each of which can handle 15 amps, will pop if you pull a total current greater than the 15 amps total - but it's unlikely one would use all 5 outlets at the same time. It's not additive.

The main breaker is sized to protect the breaker box buss bars onto which each individual breaker is connected. Same story applies; users are unlikely to power ALL circuits simultaneously.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
If somebody just wanted a main breaker they could install a box in-line with a 30 amp breaker in it. A single pole 30 amp breaker may not be laying around on every Home Center rack though.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #22

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
So I just added a new twin 15 breaker switch to the empty slot on the panel and wired in a new outlet. I also wired in a sweet LED strip light from ikea under the top kitchen cabinet and modified it so it's hard wired with a switch instead of having to plug it in every time and use the in-line on the cord. Everything works...nothing caught on fire (yet) so I'm a happy scamper! Pics will be along eventually

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #23

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
I should note that to do the ikea LED mod, I first ripped out the disgusting hard wired factory fluorescent light and used the wire to power an outlet instead. Now I have an outlet under the cabinet. Then I jumped off the electrical current going into the new under cabinet outlet and sent it into a household switch that now operates the ikea LED strip. I think it worked out perfectly.

The new breaker I installed in the open slot is for a new outlet I installed near the front of the scamp that will power our Breville toaster/oven. I built a temporary shelf/countertop extension for the Breville to sit on and the new outlet is beneath that (the Breville has a short power cord too, so the outlet placement is very convenient!)

-Seth

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote