Question on planning for Solar - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #29
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I have a question for those who have installed solar in their eggs.
I am looking into one or more Renology flexible panels and perhaps a Bogart charge controller and battery monitor.
My question is if you have a on-board battery charging system is there a way to automatically switch from the AC powered charger to the Solar when conditions permit?
I want to leave the two systems active and let the "Best" one win.
Since I have a swing compressor refrigerator and it lives better running I want to keep the 12 Volt system charged and ready if I am parked with power or parked in the sunlight and not plugged in for a good while. I don't want to be able to forget to switch from solar to AC or back and have the batteries run down.
I talked with the Guy from Bogart about the charger and would it regulate the charge from a ac powered charger like it would from the higher voltages from a solar panel system.
Any ideas?

To answer your question directly. It's OK to have more than one charging system. Once the battery is close to fully charged all will drop out except for one, depending on what each system considers the fully charged voltage to be. The last one will have the highest voltage point.
Think about this for a moment, many trailers have full time solar and tow vehicle charge lines. Many have a converter, tow vehicle charge line, and solar. No switches to turn off the solar, unless put in by a shade tree mechanic.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #30
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Why not put more solar panels on your roof and the install a grid toe inverter and out the extra power into your house instead of the other way around. I have only used my charger twice in the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote