quickie elec. question..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
quickie elec. question.....

I've never had two six volt batteries as an elec. supply.....when a single 12V batt. is fully charged up or being charged it will read 12.7 or 8 or something, right?.....my two six volts are giving me a reading of 11.9 max. I "think" they are fully charged...or should be.....WADDYA ALL THINK TIA, F
Attached Thumbnails
elecp.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, it might be good to check them both separately to make sure. I alwasy keep this chart close by when taking a voltage reading on my battery.
Attached Thumbnails
4-10-Open-Circuit-Voltage-Chart_websize.jpg  
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
thanks....hmmmm...sounds like something not quite right....converter plugged in should be charging them...sounds like maybe not....and the wiring is almost impossible to follow to check between converter and batteries....thanks, I saved your chart
Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This is where the Battery Hydrometer comes in handy. You remove the caps and check the fluid in each cell and the hydrometer will point out the condition of each cell. Should you have a bad cell, it would cause this situation.

B 4 you use the hydrometer do this: Fill each cell with distilled water (U can get it at the market and it will say distilled on the label), then charge the battery then take your reading.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Don't shoot the messenger !
---------------------------------
Your existing Magnetec converter has more of a reputation for frying batteries than for properly charging them. A modern converter, such as a Progressive Dynamics with it's smart charging "Charge Wizard" system will not only charge your batteries better, it will help them last longer.

When the converter is ON and charging the battery(s), the voltage across the battery(s) should be at about 13.4+ volts. There is a trim pot on the Magnetec circuit board for adjusting that, but it is a very course adjustment.

6 volt batteries in series need to be "matching". Mating up an older battery with a newer one, or even two different size/types of batteries usually doesn't work well.

To answer your question, when fully charged my 12 volt Interstate reads about 12.8 volts as should your two 6 volt batteries. But you will only get there is your charging voltage is about 13.4 volts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Francois, are these new batteries or ones you inherited with the trailer? If they are over 5 years old and where not well cared for IE let to run down below 50% or to the point of being dead more than a few times they may simple be completely done. Or as Bob suggested if the trailer was left plugged in for long periods of time with out the use of a smart charger the batteries may have been fried.

If you havent seen it yet there is some helpful info to be found at The 12 volt Side Of Life.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
thanks....great link on batts.

I'll get to the "bottom" of this battery thing yet!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Also need to use 10 gauge or larger with to connect the 2 6V batteries together or you'll drop a bit of voltage in that link and the charger will stop charging too early.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
thanks Charlie.....the connection between the two six volts is HUGE....the pos and neg wires to the converter are sorta small ....they are the same size as what ran to the single 12V from the factory however....somebody used quick connectors to make the connection mid line...and left the original run rolled up inside the forward outside compartment where the original battery was located
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #10

If by "Quick Connectors", you mean Scotch Locs, I also call them non-connectors and they will be assured to become bad connections if not already. And there shouldn't be any6Wire Nurs used anyway. Get positive connections with crimped on terminals.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Scotch Loks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If by "Quick Connectors", you mean Scotch Locs, I also call them non-connectors and they will be assured to become bad connections if not already. And there shouldn't be any6Wire Nurs used anyway. Get positive connections with crimped on terminals.
I beg to differ! Scotch Loks as manufactured by 3M are excellent wire connectors when used as listed .Almost all the wire splices or connections in residential ,commercial and industrial construction are made with Scotchloks
Scotchloks are even approved for use in Hospital Critical Care Units I have removed splices made with Scotchloks that are 50 years old and still functioning perfectly , Installing Scotchloks in wet locations and where subject to the elements is not an approved application of the product In my 40 + years in the trade I have seen just as many failed crimp connections as I have failed Scotchloks . Improper application and improper installation techniques are usually the cause of the failure not the product. I would purchase 30 gallon fiber drums of Scotchloks for construction project and if they failed as you described ."Why would any contractor utilize them on a job they had to warranty ?"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

When I speak of Scotchlocs these are of what I speak:
Amazon.com: Lot of 100 Scotch Lock Quick Splice Connectors Blue: Automotive

I have never seen these used in industrial applications and I worked in and around printing plants for over 15 years.

In the RV business they have a reputation for ageing and being the cause of poor connections.

If that hospital or industrial application was subjected to 25,000 miles of driving down the road I am sure that the same opinion of them woul be common in that business as well.

Sure, some RV builders still use them, they always hold up until the trailer or RV is out of warranty, otherwise they wouldn't be used there either.

I've taken too many of them out, that were originally installed by the RV builders, to ever think about using them in any work I am putting my name on when done.

BTW: In 1976-1978 I was in charge of plant safety at a hospital in Washington state (Lake Chelan Community Hospital) and Scotchlocs were not in our repair inventory, nor did I ever see any used in equipment we serviced.....

Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
yeah, I'm afraid I think like you Bob...the last boat I bought I had to completely rewire after one or more previous owners just added and added to the elec. system by scabbing onto existing wires with quick connects and crimp connectors.....they say crimp connectors are to be used...but they don't say anything about the person who does the connecting!...........anyway I ended up creating wiring chases out of bilge hose so wires could be fished any old time (wish BF would be done this way instead of bundles on wires screwed to the floor and disappearing behind equipment and out of sight)....and then I soldered every connection and sealed it (after leaving enough wire for one or two future equipment replacements)
Old 10-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
When I speak of Scotchlocs these are of what I speak:
Amazon.com: Lot of 100 Scotch Lock Quick Splice Connectors Blue: Automotive

I have never seen these used in industrial applications and I worked in and around printing plants for over 15 years.

In the RV business they have a reputation for ageing and being the cause of poor connections.

If that hospital or industrial application was subjected to 25,000 miles of driving down the road I am sure that the same opinion of them woul be common in that business as well.

Sure, some RV builders still use them, they always hold up until the trailer or RV is out of warranty, otherwise they wouldn't be used there either.

I've taken too many of them out, that were originally installed by the RV builders, to ever think about using them in any work I am putting my name on when done.

BTW: In 1976-1978 I was in charge of plant safety at a hospital in Washington state (Lake Chelan Community Hospital) and Scotchlocs were not in our repair inventory, nor did I ever see any used in equipment we serviced.....
My point was that your were bad mouthing an excellent product. Scotchloks are a fine product when used as listed and as intended . When you use a product in a fashion for which it was not designed and it fails ,it is not the products fault . I worked in printing plants for over 17 years and maintenance at the largest Medical center in Mpls Minn and I can guarantee you that every splice in the lighting and receptacle branch circuits of those establishments were made with" Scotchloks ". Standard Scotchloks are not my mechanical splice of choice for wet or high vibration areas such as a trailer .Install a crimp wire connector (T&B or 3M ) under a trailer (Brake connection) where it is subject to water & road salt and it will fail . They make Scotchloks for making underground splices (Direct Burial) and for high vibration uses and they function well . Again if you use a product in a manner inconsistent with it's intended purpose and it fails it YOUR fault (Generic wirenuts and Scotchloks (A 3M trademark product) are not the same product I suggest you look up the difference)
Years ago when when I started wiring houses we were still dip soldering or using T&b crimp caps to make splices . The failure rate was high so guess what splicing method we went to . You guessed correctly "SCOTCHLOKS"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #15

Soooo, if I understand what you are saying, you agree that the type of Scotchlocs I posted a link to are not appropriate for RV use?

BTW: I know that we are not talking about wirenuts.

Tags
bigfoot