quieter furnace exist? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
quieter furnace exist?

Are all the furnaces these days on market so noisy? Our 16ft 2009 Scamp has such a loud furnace fan that it's not possible to relax or sleep with it on. Does anyone make a heater today like the one we have in our old 13 ft 1976 Scamp? Its the tried and true passive radiant propane model that is dead quiet while not requiring the use of electricity. It's still operating today at 42 years old. I wish Scamp still installed those units.
Does anyone know of a make or model that doesnt require electricity or if it does at least is quieter than these common rv Suburban furnaces? It would be nice to free up some area that the Mr Buddy is occupying right now.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Dead quiet.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
The 12,00 BTU Atwood furnace Escape now uses is WAY quieter than the one in my 2009 19 was.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Propex is said to be pretty quiet... a couple of Snoozy owners have self-installed them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Propex is said to be pretty quiet... a couple of Snoozy owners have self-installed them.
I installed one in a Trillium 1300 that I rebuilt for my daughter. Great little units. It is not all that quiet though, not that the fan is loud, it is more that it is pushing a lot of air through a 2" pipe and you hear the sounds of that fast flowing air.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker22 View Post
.... Does anyone make a heater today like the one we have in our old 13 ft 1976 Scamp? Its the tried and true passive radiant propane model that is dead quiet while not requiring the use of electricity. It's still operating today at 42 years old. I wish Scamp still installed those units.
Does anyone know of a make or model that doesnt require electricity ....
Wave heaters are one of those that require no electric and they are very efficient with propane.

But by my mention of that, there is sure to be a S. Storm of dire warnings about them, some valid, some less so. Its all been discussed a million times before so you can read all about it online.

I don't know what Scamp installed in 1976, but the Wave uses a catalytic pad that could only last 42 years if it were stored in a sealed box. If used, or even just exposed to normal air pollutants, it might still heat, but I see no way it would be safe. In fact I would be leery of any heater that old.

From what I have read, the noise level of the Propex is highly dependent on the installations.. how much ducting is used, is it mounted inside, or under the floor, etc. Some say it is very quiet, and some say its not much different from other RV forced air furnaces.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Wisconsin
I have to put my ear right next to our furnace in order to hear it run so I can't be of much help . As far as using an unvented gas heater in a confined space , you are on your own , I value life too much .
Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
If you have a CO detector, then running a catalytic heater, (Wave, Coleman) is probably OK. They typically don't make much CO, but they do use up air, so keep the vent cracked. When the O2 gets low, they make much more CO.

Also concerned about the S. storm potential, but I really like the Duo-Therm gravity furnace in my Trilliums. Not very efficient, but silent, other then the slight hiss of flowing propane. They come up for sale on kijiji from time to time. But most people are not interested in rebuilding an old furnace.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Everything comes at a cost. A quiet furnace (a catalytic type without a fan is one that puts moisture in the air and requires ventilation to work). A isolated fire box with a fan is generally a bit noisy. That's what I have and after over 1000 nights I sleep right through it. Once or twice a year and it might be a different story.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Living in the Northern Midwest these type of questions amuse me.
When winter comes to our area , we listen to our furnace turn on ,
run and kick off 24 hours a day for months on end .
You would think from these posts that everyone here is like the walking dead from lack of sleep .
When camping in cool weather , we just set the thermostat to 56 deg , go to bed , get up in the AM and crank up the heat for a few minutes while the coffee perks.
To me it's the choice between a little bit of noise or a little bit of
cool . Take your pick !!

** We had below zero temps this morning with snow predicted**
Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have 17 face wound clocks which run in my house, chiming and sounding the hour as well as ticking. Sometimes I try to listen on the hour to see how coordinated they are, but I often look up and find that it is 5 after and I missed what might be a cacophony to the unaccustomed.
Sounds which are supposed to be there are often only noticed when they are not.
Like the old western movies used to say....
" Its Quiet"... "Yeah TOO Quiet!!"

When I hear my furnace ignite, I think... "Warm is coming" then I go to sleep and ignore it.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I sleep better with the sound of warmth coming on, rather than the sound of chattering teeth or knees knocking or the constant flip flopping under confining covers. If the noise really bothers you some disposable foam ear plugs should calm your nerves.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Heck , the OP lives in Oregon , so if he / she doesn't camp in other parts of the country ,they may well never need or use their furnace.
Things sometimes need perspective.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Heck , the OP lives in Oregon , so if he / she doesn't camp in other parts of the country ,they may well never need or use their furnace.
Things sometimes need perspective.
Even though it doesn't get as cold in Oregon as some other places in the spring, summer and fall, if can be cold enough to want your furnace to run. The coast can get as cold as the 40's and 50's even in summer with fog and a wind that won't quit. In the Cascades the air can be so moist your clothes stay damp all day outside. And the high desert can be freezing at night even in the summertime. I will give you an example, when I moved to Oregon years ago, I decided to go to the coast since it was in the mid eighties in the Willamette valley. I was in shorts and a t-shirt and didn't bring anything heavier than a light windbreaker. When I got to the coast it was 55 degrees with sustained 15 MPH winds and foggy. I froze my *** off!

Tags
furnace