Radio Reception - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Flagstaff
Missouri
Radio Reception

Hello all. I have a 2015 Flagstaff travel trailer and I have been having some issues picking up radio stations on the front IRV-66 radio unit. There is lots of talk about there being many problems with this unit but the only problem I have is the radio reception. It does not pick up any stations and is all static. When I pull the unit out of the slot and I am holding it in my hands approximately 3inches completely out of the cabinet, it will then pick up every single station within range and with great clarity. Once the unit is back in the lost the static comes back immediately. under the radio is a tv, on the backside of the same wall is another tv, and has AC unit controls and a light switch all on the same wall with the ac unit on the other side of the wall in the ceiling in the bedroom. So could this be a grounding issue, reception/antenna issue or is there just to much interference in that whole area? what are the best options to fix this sort of problem. all responses are welcome. thank you
azaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You don't say AM or FM (different things interfere with each.) Have you tried shutting off everything but the radio, then sequentially turning on other item on at a time to see who interferes? Note some power supplies (12V to USB and 12V plug-in digital battery voltage displays can also generate interference, particularly on AM.

Might also be a problem with the cable - try flexing it to see if anything changes. A jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends might be helpful to diagnose grounding issues.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Charlie's post is right with what I think as well. You trailer is filled with RF noise makers. Power supplies, converters, USB outlets, cell phones, computers, tablets, even smoke and propane detectors all produce radio signals that can overwhelm your receiver. Turn things on one at a time and see what happens. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You may have missed that this is a site for owners of small Molded Fiberglass trailers. I really doubt if anyone has an IRV-66 radio unit, much less two of them, in our comparatively small trailers.
At the bottom of this page is a link to sister RV sites, such as IRV2, where you may find more owners of units similar to yours and with the same radio reception problem.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Aaron

I noticed this is your first, Welcome

Sorry about the cool response and it's entirely possible other members here have or had your problem and may be of help

I hope you return soon.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Nothing cool here, I was trying to direct the OP to sites that members of were far more apt to have the IRV-66 installed in their RV's

The IRV-66 is a typical (and overpriced) option found in current production stick-built trailers such as the Flagstaff. There was one in the sticky we bought for a now ex step-sons family, and I couldn't believe the MSRP on the option. Here's a link to Flagstaff Trailers by Forest River.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...213&Image=5386

Much like new cars, dealers order RV's loaded up with these options and pass the options on to the buyers via heavy discounting of the imaginary MSRP. I really doubt if this is an item one would find in an FGRV or that any one would add and, as was mentioned, it was thought that the problem might be related to the installation.

Here's a link to them: iRV iRV66 DVD receiver for RVs at Crutchfield.com Get two while you are at it.... LOL

BTW: In as much as it is a 2015 trailer this might be a warranty problem for the selling dealer to deal with. We had to take the above mentioned sticky back several times for repairs and re-repairs while in warranty.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote