Re-installing Original Brake and Running Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Re-installing Original Brake and Running Lights

As part of my 1974 Perris Pacer renovation, I plan to re-install the original brake and running lights. Should I make a foam rubber gasket between the brake light and the fiberglass egg or should I use butyl tape? I'm concerned that the butyl tape will compress when fastened and the aluminum brake light housing will touch and scratch the paint. Will a foam rubber gasket keep water from wicking in? Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!
Fredomatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1500744679.998557.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	109187
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Those lenses look like some truck light lenses. You might try bringing one of the cases and a lens to a place that sells truck lights. You might find an ready made gasket that would work.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with butyl tape. After all, aren't any scratches going to be hidden, once the lights are installed.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #3

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
I used butyl tape for the tail lights on my 1980 Burro. I think if I were to do it over again I would use some type of either cork material or more closed cell rubber material to seal the taillights and actually may do so later.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

California
As part of my tail-light retrofit, I thought it would be beneficial to double up on the amount of retrofit lamps for maximum brightness and redundancy, just in case a lamp dies. The LED retrofit lamps are about 5 watts max each which is only a quarter of the 20 watt incandescent lamps this was designed for.

Does anyone see any issue with this double lamp configuration?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1502049240.708110.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	109894Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1502049259.017877.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	109895Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1502049272.433936.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	109896

I cut out a neoprene gasket as a test. I like the clean fit of the gasket but I'm not convinced it would seal any better than butyl tape.

Fredomatic
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #5

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
Two or three years ago some of the surrounding towns went to bright LED lights for their stoplights. At night, or especially when it was raining, those lights were so intensely bright that it was actually difficult to see past them. They finally switched back to less intense lights which was so much easier on the eyes.

My concern would be that your tail lights would be so bright it may confuse some people as to whether those are your brake lights or your tail lights. And when you hit your breaks, will that be blinding to those following you?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

California
Absolutely. The first generation of led street lamps has often been garish and distracting. Sonoma, CA is dealing with this currently. Better optics are required but this requires another evolution.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #7

California
Thanks for all the valuable input. I experimented with a bunch of combinations and ended up with double lamps and butyl putty. My last attempt looks promising!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8055.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	111202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8054.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	111203
Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks good Fred. Do you have it set up as one for tail & the other as brake/turn?

As a side note for over bright lights. I had a '63 GMC p/u with no b/u lights. I added one small 5K light under the bumper. One late night a buddy was a 1/4 mile behind me and I hit the b/u switch for a second. He told me later that he thought a dang train was coming at him . Never did that again but it sure did light up everything for backing up .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Looks good Fred. Do you have it set up as one for tail & the other as brake/turn?

As a side note for over bright lights. I had a '63 GMC p/u with no b/u lights. I added one small 5K light under the bumper. One late night a buddy was a 1/4 mile behind me and I hit the b/u switch for a second. He told me later that he thought a dang train was coming at him . Never did that again but it sure did light up everything for backing up .

Dave, I hadn't thought about wiring the brake and turn separately. That's a great idea. I'll test it both ways to see what looks best.

Regarding the back up light, I could use something like that except I'm currently running a 4 pin connector system. Hmmm?
Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I was thinking you had the outboard lights set up as the tail and the inboards as brake/turn. A b/u light would be good.....just don't go with the "search light" intensity I had on the GMC, roosters will start crowing .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights