Replace converter for 1972 TrailMite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Replace converter for 1972 TrailMite

Hello,
My 1972 TrailMite (scamp like) needs a new power source so I can plug in and have a battery back up. The original had 15 amps. Any ideas out there?
thanks!
Julie
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
what did this trailer have? was there an old converter that died, and you want to replace/upgrade it ? I'm afraid I don't know anything about Trailmite, nor what sort of power converters were used circa 1972...

I'd likely be looking at a wfco or pd4600, maybe 30-45 amps, assuming you have a group 27 or 29 sized marine/rv battery. theese come either as just a converter that you slide into an existing power center (assuming you have one thats apprporiately sized), or they come as a complete power center, to which you'd wire your AC supply cord, all your AC sockets and circuits, and your battery and all your DC circuits.

example:
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...charge-wizard/

I do note most all of these are designed for a 30A AC input circuit. I also note that both of my 30A trailers work just fine on a 15A extension cord in the driveway at home as long as I'm not using air conditioning.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Converter or Not

Thanks John for your response, I appreciate your time.
I'm thinking maybe I don't need a converter at all... The battery will only light those little dome lights. An LED lantern and the likes might be all I need?...
I need to concentrate on replacing the propane stove and furnace.
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkovich View Post
Thanks John for your response, I appreciate your time.
I'm thinking maybe I don't need a converter at all... The battery will only light those little dome lights. An LED lantern and the likes might be all I need?...
I need to concentrate on replacing the propane stove and furnace.
a furnace will have an electric fan, which draws a fair bit of power when its on.

without a converter, you would only have tow vehicle charging, unless you bring a separate battery charger and connect it when you need it, or have solar charging...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote