RIP Radio Shack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
RIP Radio Shack

Radio Shack has declared bankruptcy. Bad for them, good for us. IF *and that's an "if"* you have a store that's going under in your neighborhood you can pick up a lot of goodies. I got a bunch of charge adapters and, best score of all, a 150W DC->AC inverter for 30% off. That should be plenty to work my CPAP machine. The manager I talked to said they figure 10 days, and it will all be gone. Percentage off will increase...you might get even luckier if you wait.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When you buy something that, basically, may have no warranty support as soon as you walk out the door, I would knock at least 25% off for starters. So what is basically a 5% discount won't get my attention.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Here, in Canada, Radio Shack was bought by Bell Canada for several years, the name was changed by "The Source", because Bell wanted to obtain a fast visibility through Canada.
It seems established well still...
Sale: PS4 & Xbox One | iPods, Headphones | Tablets & Laptops | Media Streaming | TheSource.ca
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In Canada, Radio Shack became The Source. Not much difference after the change. There are still some Source stores left, but they are in the process of winding up operations as well. Too bad, I liked Radio Shack.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I have just verified with " The Source " and they do not sell still on-line outside of Canada.
Sorry.
Maybe later
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Radio SHacks are not closing. Chapt 11 to restructure. So if you buy something at one (even at a discount) you could take it to another and swap it or get you money back.... the amount you paid. I stopped at ours the other day and it's staying open. He said they were being bought or merging with Sprint. Dunno what changes that will incur.

I miss the OLD RS with the stereo systems, electronic parts, CB's, etc. Those were the days my friend.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A note of caution. Target Canada is closing after a short stint in the Canadian market. Everything on sale "up to 30 per cent off". Guy interviewed on TV news show went to get a television he had seen the previous week for $199. It was newly priced at $350 with a small discount.
There are companies who do liquidation for a living, and they don't do it with fire-sale prices.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Anyone holding gift cards better use them.

The electronics retailer RSHCQ, +9.50% which filed for bankruptcy in Delaware last week, says it has $44 million in gift cards outstanding.

RadioShack kicked off going-out-of-business sales last weekend. Before that, the company won court approval to accept gift cards until March 7 as payment for store merchandise.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
What I read was that the Sprint deal turns 60% of the store's floor space into a Sprint phone store. The signage outside will change to Sprint with a smaller reference to Radio Shack. I guess the rest will be hdmi cables and similar. Forget about getting hard-core electronics equipment, they just won't have it, or employees that know anything about it. Need a car charger for your iPhone? No problem! Need a fuse block or a capacitor, forget it!

I feel bad for Radio Shack in a way, but in other ways I recognize they did it to their greedy selves. Instead of riding the tides of the hobbiest communitites, and changing with them, they became totally reliant on selling cell phones and accessories. So when the phone revenue dried up (for years, they got a cut of the monthly cell bills) they were too broke to inventory for the next hobbiest fads - robots, quadcopters(drones) and 3D printing. Shows you when you abandon your business's vision, core competencies and fail to adapt to the times, bankruptcy is the result.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Our Radio Shack closed a bit before the announced bankruptcy; no sales, discounts, etc. I bought a switch, went back the next day & there was paper covering the windows & a dumpster out front full of junk (no electronics).

While it changed for the worst if you were looking for electronic parts, I could still find resistors, switches and other useful items. It is a 30 mile drive to Stewart Smith's, the nearest "real" electronics store (there used to be two of them in Syracuse) so I'll miss RS even thought they really turned into a phone store...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
So whose going to do repair work on my Tandy TRS-80 4K Color computer?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that one should only have to look at what happened to Circuit City, and they sold real products. Here today, gone tomorrow. Here's one of a million clips, get down to the last paragraph for the probability prediction.
RadioShack Proposes Up to $3 Million in Employee Bonuses To Bankruptcy Court – Consumerist

The "Radio Shack" name has almost zero trade value, why stick with something that is a relic of yesterday. That would be like Elon Musk naming his car the Hudson Hornet.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote