Running Lights Not Working on an 82 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Did the problem occur with the trailer hitch disconnected - the hitch will complete the ground cicuit i.e frame to frame ?
The hitch ball is NOT a reliable ground. You need a hard wired ground between the trailer and tow vehicle.

Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
My point was - perhaps the ground was being acheived through the hitch when it was working and ceased to work when unhitched.

Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #17
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
In addition to what everyone else is saying (check the ground wire), be sure to check your tow vehicle fuses. The tail/running lamps on my trailer connector are fused separately from the tail lights on my tow vehicle.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp

Do you have two white wires connected to the negative battery terminal?

You probably do as yours is an '82 and mine is an '83. Tract the wires back. One should be grounded to the frame right next to the side of the battery box. That wire could be either white or black depending on who did the grounding.

The other negative (white) wire will pass through the camper shell and connect with all the other negative wires for the camper under the front bench just as they enter the shell. You will need to remove the bottom cushion and the wooden hatch on the top of the left side. You will also need a flashlight to see what's what and it's very cramped in there.

If the wiring is still original, the large white wire will be connected to the other smaller negative wires for the interior wiring with just a large yellow twist wire cap. Take it off and make sure all the negative wires are securely twisted together. That is the most likely the cause of the grounding problem.

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Did you check the fuse in the engine bay. This happened to me and I just had to replace a 20amp fuse that was wired into the harness.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #20
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014

I think that's the usual solution (to start with on electrical and all molded towables ) Everything else is "also ran."
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #21
Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
We had the exact same problem with our 1985 Scamp. At great expense, my mechanic found the problem and fixed it. It turned out lights were grounded through the frame and then the hitch. BAD IDEA! Everything is now grounded with wiring, and goes through the stinger. Works great!
Samwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #22
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
If I were you, this would be my solution:
1/ Observation: The trailer circuitry lost GROUND somewhere.
2/ Solution:
...a/Re-ground the trailer i.e. sand the bolt to the shiny bare metal, tighten it and...GREASE it.
...b/ Have 2 connectors in hand ( brand-new, doesn't cost much ) One for trailer connector, other for towing vehicle connector. If the first step couldn't solve problem, replace trailer connector. If proceeding second step, the problem still exists, go on and replacing towing vehicle connector. I positive think the issue will be gone. If you are good @ multimeter with basic electrical knowledge, you wouldn't need to replace with new connectors. Just my personal opinion....and..I COULD BE WRONG. Please post your result. Thanks.

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights, scamp