RV cord - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
RV cord

Is the rv cord coming from scamp trailer rated for outdoor use. ? Also the 30 amp ext. cords sold at walmart and rv stores are they rated for outdoor use as well? I don`t see anything on the wire that states "outdoor use" Just wondering. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use a 12 gauge 15 amp extension cord. Can run either the Air Conditioner or the Microwave but not at the same time. This cord is easy to use and is rated for outside use. Much easier than dealing with a 30 amp heavyweight.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I can say Carl, is the one on my 1988 Scamp is the original, has been used successfully outside for all those years!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Is the rv cord coming from scamp trailer rated for outdoor use. ? Also the 30 amp ext. cords sold at walmart and rv stores are they rated for outdoor use as well? I don`t see anything on the wire that states "outdoor use" Just wondering. Carl
The 30 amp cord that came with your trailer is most defiantly rated for outdoor use. If your looking at the CAMCO brand of extensions for the 30 amp that Walmart sells as you can see from the specs they are also rated for outdoor use.

Would be really surprised if any of the 30 AMP cords & adapters being sold for an RV where not rated for outdoor use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
OK, thanks everyone. That is what i thought. I use a 25` 15amp ext to reach my garage receptacle at home as well. I use that, just to charge battery, i did have a small electric heater plugged in on cool days once in a while. I wish to buy a 25` 30 amp as well for air and other things in summer. My PA inspection is on nov 13th. Never dreamed the local RV dealer would be booked so far in advance, I called shortly after i got home from Backus. Oh well, maybe i can get one short trip in before it gets way to cold. Carl
Old 11-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oh, you want to get a short trip in? Then use an indoor cord outside. You'll get a short, or a trip of the breaker! Just kidding. Hope you have a good time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The 30 amp RV cord sold by Camco is rated SEW per the NEC Art 400 / NEMA
The W at the end of the cord designation means that the cord is rated for wet locations and is sunlight resistant See NEC Art 400 tables plus FPN #15 to tables for further reference
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Carl, what is a "PA inspection"? Is that a type of safety inspection? If so, how often is that required? Nothing like that here in IL, but we have recurring emission tests on our vehicles. I remember years ago when we lived in VA, they had an annual "Safety Insp" on motorized vehicles. It was really a scheme to collect property tax on your vehicles. Just curious.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Hi Tom, when i registered the trailer they told me i have 10 days to have it inspected. All PA trailers over 3000# must have PA trailer inspection. I went there to pay the sales tax (ouch) on the 25th last month and the closest appointment I could get was the 13th of Nov. So i really did not want to chance getting in accident with out being legal, so i didn`t tow it anywhere but the driveway. Take care, Carl
Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Hi Tom, when i registered the trailer they told me i have 10 days to have it inspected. All PA trailers over 3000# must have PA trailer inspection. I went there to pay the sales tax (ouch) on the 25th last month and the closest appointment I could get was the 13th of Nov. So i really did not want to chance getting in accident with out being legal, so i didn`t tow it anywhere but the driveway. Take care, Carl
Take that trailer to a truck stop and weigh it. My guess is that's below 3000lbs.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #11

Michigan
Thanks Carl. I believe Byron's correct. Empty your trailer and I'll bet it's <3,000 lbs. It might be a factor ($$$) when purchasing plates. Take care.

Tom
Old 11-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Carl, what is a "PA inspection"? Is that a type of safety inspection? If so, how often is that required? Nothing like that here in IL, but we have recurring emission tests on our vehicles. I remember years ago when we lived in VA, they had an annual "Safety Insp" on motorized vehicles. It was really a scheme to collect property tax on your vehicles. Just curious.

Tom
It depends on the state. Here in NY ALL trailers are required to be inspected each year. Unless it has changed, it is $6.00. Just got the yearly registration for my 2103 lb dry weight (NY registers by weight) Escape - $36.25.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Carl. I believe Byron's correct. Empty your trailer and I'll bet it's <3,000 lbs.

Tom
I bet it doesnt either. Take a look at the Thread Trailer Weights in The Real World. Heaviest 16' Scamp Delux fully loaded trailer weighed to date came in at 2800lbs total.

I know the trailer and it is indeed loaded with every option plus some.... not to mention the profession set of heavy duty pots and pans
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
I believe it is trailer rated weight. It can carry 3500#legally. Carl
Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Our fully loaded Scamp set up for a year on the road with water in the tank and full propane weighs 2600 pounds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Tom
Hi Tom;
Lucky for me, the emission tests here in IllAnnoy are only required for the residents of the 5 county RTA district!
I once turbocharged an RX7 for a friend and he had to get his mailing address changed in order to keep the car!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Stop and get a weigh.

I picked that up, too. Scamp says:

"Approximate weight 2200-2600#

"The axle is rated at 3500#

"However, the TIRES are 13" and are rated "C" load. "

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/p...are_safety.pdf

A 13" "C" load tire is rated to carry 1480#. That means 2960# for the trailer. Never mind what the axle rating is.

There is also a load rating number. If the number is 93 or below, your trailer is NOT rated for carrying over 3000#

Now convince a government functionary of that!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When i registered mine, the certificate of origin that came from the manufacturer had the weight of the trailer. Because it was a travel trailer and not intended for hauling, that's the weight they used. The weight cut off here is 1500 lbs and inspections are what ever they can get away with, typically $30-$35. As suggested, get the trailer weighed, get a weight slip and plead for mercy. Use the money you save for paying campground fees. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hi Tom;
Lucky for me, the emission tests here in IllAnnoy are only required for the residents of the 5 county RTA district!
I once turbocharged an RX7 for a friend and he had to get his mailing address changed in order to keep the car!
Hi Floyd, I didn't realize the emissions inspection was a local tax. I remember discussing the high cost of our trailer plates with you at the LBL Rally. Your's were far less. Now I'm wondering if our license plate prices are based on the county we live in? I'm going to check into that soon. Looking forward to seeing you in FL. in Feb.!

Carl, apologies to you. I hi-jacked this thread of your's about extension cords when I asked about the PA Inspection. I didn't mean to do that, but I find it fascinating to read about all the creative ways our officials have come up with to separate us from our money. It sounds like you got the answer you needed about the outdoor cords before that happened. Good luck!

Tom
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
One last comment on Pa inspection. When having your new trailer titled in Pa have the notary list it as 3000lb or less. That means no inspection. This is what our guy did for us. Makes life a little easier. Also something I did not know no sales tax on the option on the new trailer.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote