Scamp 13 A/C and Wave installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Name: Jean
Trailer: 1999 Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp 13 A/C and Wave installation

Greetings,
The new to me 1999 Scamp 13 with bunks came with no A/C or heat source. I am interested in installing a window A/C and wave furnace.

Couple thoughts:
1-No window installation of A/C.
2-Closet space options.
-I would like images of both A/C and wave stack install.
-Is there a way to create a method to have them be a temporay install, exchange as needed? Cover space with a temporary door if neither not needed?
3-Other placement ideas for both?

I am very visual orientated, pictures would be wonderful.

Thanks
Jean
Jean W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
If it's only temporary, you might look into just a portable A/C unit running the vents to a window or something.

For the heater, I'd strongly suggest the Mr Buddy Heater over the Wave. It has an oxygen sensor shutoff that makes it much less dangerous to run in an enclosed area.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
While it is true that the Buddy Heater has an oxygen depletion shut off, it is also true that it will not work above 7,000 ft (i believe). We frequently camp at 9 to 10,000 ft in Colorado, and have had good experiences with the wave heater at altitude. Make sure that you have a fresh air intake and a ceiling exhaust vent.
I second the use of a “dog house” style air conditioner that utilizes tubes into and out of your trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

Minnesota
Thanks for the replies. Not interested in a "dog house style A/C".
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #5

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
If it's only temporary, you might look into just a portable A/C unit running the vents to a window or something.

For the heater, I'd strongly suggest the Mr Buddy Heater over the Wave. It has an oxygen sensor shutoff that makes it much less dangerous to run in an enclosed area.
We have a Buddy to quickly warm up our Escape 5.0 and to take to cold campsite shower rooms to step out into a warm area. The Buddy puts out too much heat to run all night and will only run about 5 hours on a 1lb cylinder. You will roast to death in a 13' camper running a Buddy all night.

We are looking at installing a Wave3 in our camper, with it's lower BTU's can run all night.

Wave heaters have been heating campers for years and are much safer than Buddy's. Buddy's get damn hot and can ignite something quickly. OTOH, anything is dangerous if not used properly.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
AC options

I have had my scamp for 2 years now and have spent a lot of time refurbishing it, (paint, axle, brakes, cushions etc..) when I installed my 5kbtu ac, I decided to put it under the front bunk and keep the door closed when not in use. Mine didn’t have the furnace installed so I used the vent/fresh air ports on the side with 2 1.5” hoses to feed into the ac under the bunk. I partitioned off the side vents for fresh air from the back/hot air using 3/4 insulation board. Just behind the ac I added 2 bathroom exhaust fans mounted on their side and drilled 2 - 3” holes where they both blow hot air under the trailer thru a soffit dryer vent that has a flap that closes it when the ac isn’t on. I wired the fans which draw about 1.5 amps collectively to the manual (knob type) ac switch so they go on automatically.

I have used it on two trips with great success but sometimes I use a small plug in fan in the scamp to help circulate the ac around some.

The ac was installed about an inch higher in the front and used rtv blue silicone to seal underneath the ac (eliminate water leakage from the ac base pan) and then I added the 5/8 drain from the back/side ac thru the trailer floor.. when it’s running it drips constantly, taking out the humidity.

Just another option to think about, that small space was tight to work in however..
Scamp-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #7

Minnesota
Thanks for the suggestions

Tags
scamp