Scamp battery not charging - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
California
Scamp battery not charging

We have 2010 Scamp 13' which we bought used last year. The original battery was dead so I hauled it to the auto parts store, they tested it and said I needed a new one. Bought a decent one and it went dead after a month or so. Returned to the store, they tested it and said it was bad and gave me a new one. This repeated two more times at which point I upgraded to a gel cell deep cycle (their best $200+ vs the $80 original deep cycle). Went out with the "super" battery for the first time recently. Had a 2-3 hour drive to our site so I should have been fully charged, totally dead. Any ideas?
jarichar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Were you running the refrigerator on DC while you were driving? Perhaps a charging problem from the tow vehicle...

Electrical problems can be a bit of a task to track down. I'm sure there will be lot's of troubleshooting suggestions
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarichar01 View Post
We have 2010 Scamp 13' which we bought used last year. The original battery was dead so I hauled it to the auto parts store, they tested it and said I needed a new one. Bought a decent one and it went dead after a month or so. Returned to the store, they tested it and said it was bad and gave me a new one. This repeated two more times at which point I upgraded to a gel cell deep cycle (their best $200+ vs the $80 original deep cycle). Went out with the "super" battery for the first time recently. Had a 2-3 hour drive to our site so I should have been fully charged, totally dead. Any ideas?
Check the voltage at the battery with the trailer attached to shore power and your converter is running.

If you charge from your TV, check the voltage at the battery with the TV attached and the engine running.

That number should be 13.5V to 14.5V or at least 13 something.

Please don't take offense but I have seen several very competent and intelligent owners who attach the battery leads backwards. Check that.

There is a fuse at the battery.Check that.

There is commonly a fuse from the converter just inside the bulkhead.Check that and the fuses in the converter.

Check the refrigerator to be sure the 12V switch is OFF.

Come back here with the results of all that and if necessary,we will proceed to further narrow the possibilities.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Raises hand high! I've put the wrong wires on the terminal before.

Battery disconnect switch is off?

Or left on and it drained the battery.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

Registry
Battery backwards and/or refrigerator on DC are good bets.
There should be a sticker on the front of the Scamp stating that White to (-) negative and Black to (+) positive.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Are you sure you have a 12v charge line from the TV to the trailer?
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And a ground wire of sufficient size?
#10 was what was recommended to me, if I expected to power a 12V fridge ( however, there wouldn't be any power left over for the battery )
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I love a mystery.. Wonder what the problem was
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

Name: Jim
California
Hauled the scamp home from storage this weekend and got busy with everyone's advice. Battery was connected correctly. Ended up finding a blown 20 amp fuse. Seemed to take care of everything, getting 13+volts at the battery off converter/shore as well as with TV. Doesn't explain why I toasted so many batteries, but we're set for four days at a beautiful site near Big Bear over Labor day. Thanks everyone especially Floyd and Briantb
jarichar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The SCAMP supplied (Chinese made) "American" converter will never get a 5 star award for either reliability or for being a good battery charger.

That said, I would suggest that the converter may be frying your battery when you aren't looking. BTW: "gel cell deep cycle" super battery's also have their own unique and different charging parameters. Might want to check that our before you fry another.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp