Scamp Outside Door Light Not Working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp Outside Door Light Not Working

I installed LEDs for the interior & outside door lights for our 1993 13 Scamp. They all work except the outdoor light. Any ideas? Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
voltmeter
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
To expand a bit, use a volt meter to check the polarity of the outdoor socket. It may be reversed, in which case an incandescent lamp still works, but an LED won't.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
To expand a bit, use a volt meter to check the polarity of the outdoor socket. ..
To expand even more.. my thought was first do the most basic check.. do you even have power at the lamp socket? Use your voltmeter. I gather that you did at one time but with old fixtures the very act of changing out a bulb can cause a break in a connection.

Some LED bulbs will work with reverse polarity but that might be the higher end ones. (The actual diode inside the bulb still requires correct polarity) So if the bulb has a wedge type base that makes it reversible, then reverse it. Same if its a barrel type base with both contacts on the bottom - try rotating it 180 degrees If its a barrel type base with a single center conductor as it is on my outside light by the door, then check for negative on the outside of the socket and positive on the center conductor. If its reversed then go back to the incandescent, or to use the LED, reverse the wires in the fixture.

But first check and see if you do in fact have power at all.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #5

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
When I first got my Scamp, I also replaced the bulb w/ an LED, but got no light when turned on. I removed the bulb, used a toothbrush and some electrical contact cleaner & gave the socket, etc a good cleaning. Reinstalled the bulb; worked fine...Age and the weather just caused enough corrosion to prevent good electrical connections in the bulb/socket apparatus.

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg433 View Post
Age and the weather just caused enough corrosion to prevent good electrical connections in the bulb/socket apparatus.

Or, you put it back in, turned 180 degrees.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or, you put it back in, turned 180 degrees.
I'll bet it was the corrosion. Many times, mostly at homes, I have removed bulbs that had been in place for years and exposed to the weather. There was still an electrical connection under the corrosion, but once you broke that, the corrosion would prevent a good connection with a new clean bulb. A good cleaning or replacement of the socket / fixture is the fix in those cases. So back to the OP's issue.. what condition is that socket in? If its the original 1993 fixture then I am surprised it worked at all.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The price of complete LED fixtures has gotten so low it just makes sense IMHO to replace the entire device.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Inexpensive LEDs sometimes are polarity sensitive. Test the bulb in another socket to insure it works and if it does, clean the outside socket and check the polarity to insure it is the same as the working sockets.

The more expensive ones usually have circuitry inside to make them work.

When installing bulbs in an outside environment it is best to apply Dielectric Grease to the bulb connections and socket to keep the moisture out. Clean all contacts inside the socket and on the bulb first. Check auto parts stores for the grease.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

Name: Kirkland
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Replace Only the Switch

10 to 1 the switch is bad. Usually is from my personal experiences. But like the other members said, test it if you can. Otherwise, you can order the entire porch light for $10, just replace the switch, and have an extra lens and light bulb. Only thing you need is a soldering gun and you don’t have to replace the entire unit. Easy install.

Link to porch light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also get the part number from the bad switch and order one from digikey for just a few bucks. https://www.digikey.com/
Kirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Russell
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
It’s the switch

5 will get you 10 that the switch is somewhat corroded due to the fact that these lights are not really waterproof. Spray some silicone lubricant or WD-40 into the switch and then turn it on and off a few times. I’m thinking you will have light. I had to do this periodically with all outside fixtures, but it’s easier and cheaper than replacing the fixture.
Procyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I found that the switch on my outside light had rusted and failed.

I put a cheap replacement ked fixture in with no switch. Then I opened the closet and traced the wiring. Do you have the in the closet air conditioner? I do. The board at the bottom of the closet just comes up with you pry on it correctly and neatly and not to hard. Then that will allow you to access the writing to the light. Then I got a cheap 12 volt switch and added that in line with the wiring. I can turn it on from inside, which is very handy. And that way the switch can't corrode.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyonid View Post
... Spray some silicone lubricant or WD-40 into the switch and then turn it on and off a few times. ..
Or use a product that is is specifically made to clean electrical contacts.

Tags
light, scamp