Scamp - tow vehicle charging, wire length - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Scamp - tow vehicle charging, wire length

In looking over the front of my new Scamp I see the 7 pin cable going thru the fiberglass shell and disappear. The wires coming from the battery enter thru the same hole. Does anyone know where the tow vehicle charging wire joins the battery wire? Even if they join just inside the fiberglass there is about 4 feet of wasted wire length vs. pulling the charging wire out of the bundle and going directly to the battery. Perhaps even worse do they join back at the converter, wasting about 15 feet of wire length with the resulting voltage drop. Has anyone traced these wires and is there a better route? Or is there some magic performed in the converter that requires both wires? Or is all this concern about charging and voltage drop much ado about nothing? I'm confused; not an entirely new feeling.

Thanks, john

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The charge line is connected in just at the point inside the trailer were the wiring harness goes in - the connection is just before the inline fuse - all hidden under the rat fur inside the front hatch on mine. Scamp has done it that way for years and in my six years of ownership the charging of the battery has worked fine - except if you are wanting to run the fridge on DC and then you have a problem but I honestly dont think shorting the wire 4' is going to fix the issue with the big drain of the fridge on DC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scamp wiring.pdf (103.2 KB, 32 views)

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Or is all this concern about charging and voltage drop much ado about nothing? I'm confused; not an entirely new feeling.

Thanks, john
I have had several Scamps over the years and found the Factory wiring is more than adequate if undisturbed by prior owners or damage.

I have had to run the 12V line from the TV charge system to the tow vehicle female trailer connector on all of my TVs.

John
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Pretty sure I had to on Subaru Outback as well..... but my nice new to me little tug came with it all done at the factory. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
John,
You could do a simple test to see how much voltage is getting to the rv battery. Disconnect house 12v power. First discharge the RV battery to 50% charge so the alternator could throw out more current. Then
Start tow vehicle.
Measure voltage at tow vehicle battery.
Measure voltage at RV battery.
The difference is loss.

You will have to drive a long time to recharge the battery. It will charge up to 90 some% pretty fast and then take a couple hours to top off.
My trailer would sit and the battery would be low at the outset of a trip. Then we would only drive an hour to the destination arriving with a 95% battery. We addressed the natural discharge with a 4 stage charger at home, and now have solar charging for in camp needs. Life is good!
I used 10 ga. for the vehicle charge line, but never measured the loss. It isn't important now that the solar is in the picture.
Russ

PS I checked out your website. Beautiful work!

Tags
scamp