Schumacher 10/2 amp Dual Rate Battery Charger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Schumacher 10/2 amp Dual Rate Battery Charger

I got a good deal (I think) at Big Lots for a Schumacher 10/2 amp Dual Rate Battery Charger. According to the instructions, I'm to set the charger to 2amp for a trickle (maintenance) charge. Over the winter, I'll bring the battery (deep cycle) to the garage.

I'm wondering... the instructions say I need a 24" long (or longer) 6-guage (AWG) insulated battery cable that I'm to attach to the negative battery post.

I know a number of instructions are written because of liability problems for the manufacturer. But is THAT cable really necessary? Or can I just hook up positive to positive and negative to negative and put it on 2amp?

Don't worry. I won't say "so and so said" if I blow up the battery or burn my house down. I'm just wondering if spending the money on the supposed cable is really necessary (needed) or written for manufacturer liability.

Thoughts? AND TIA!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
That trickle charge is still for a dead battery, I have that charger, and wouldn't use it for winter maintenance.

You want a float charger.

Oh, and I've always used the charger leads as is.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Oh man, now I'm really confused. I thought a trickle charger was to maintain a battery. Now, you're telling me it's to charge a dead battery? Crap, now I'll have something else for Craigslist. D'OH!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Donna, I'm not familiar with your particular charger, but if it is like mine, the extra wire is for the charger to sense the temp. of the battery as it charges, and will switch over to the maintaince/float mode automatically. Did you get an instruction manual with it or does it have info. you could use to do a search for the manual? I have to say I'm feeling a little weird trying to give any advice to our Yota.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might find the manual here: Schumacher:

Sounds like a trickle charger, not an automatic float charger.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

I'm sitting here reading the five pages of instructions that came with the charger. It definitely says "2 amp Trickle/Maintenace Charger."

So, that's NOT what I need to maintain a battery off the trailer for wintering over?

Group... it's okay. I've purchased or acquired three different batteries for the Scamp in the last ten years. Not a lot of $$. I just keep reading about members that keep batteries for years and when I saw this thing at Big Lots, I thought COOL! I can maintain the trailer deep cycle battery for a bit longer.

If I bought the wrong thing because I ASSUMED the wrong thing.... that happens. It was cheap enough, I may leave it as a "give away" at a gathering!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I would think, this IS what you would need, but you would have to place that extra wire as instructed, for it to work as designed.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

I'm cheap and readily recognize it . Okay, so tomorrow I'll go buy the "24" long (or longer) 6-guage (AWG) insulated battery cable" that the instruction say I should have.

If I don't really need it, it will look wonderful as a neckless sans emeralds and diamonds.

Thanks group, much appreciated! Truly.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

Okay, this solves the problem!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.png
Views:	13
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	60242

Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
A 2 amp trickle charger will give you 2 amps non-stop. Your battery doesn't need anywhere near that much. A float charger regulates it, and usually puts out well under an amp.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I don't believe in using a battery tender type charger/ maintainer. I'll take batteries out of campers or vehicles, put them in the basement, and every couple months test them with a load type tester and then hook up a charger that tapers off the charge as the battery comes up to full charge. Just my opinion, works for me.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #12

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
A two amp charger will boil a battery. If this charger tapours off the amps until it reaches near zero, it will do what you want it to do.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Donna, Schumacher makes a wide range of chargers. If you want useful interpretation of the instructions, I suggest posting the specific model number.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

I'm wondering... the instructions say I need a 24" long (or longer) 6-guage (AWG) insulated battery cable that I'm to attach to the negative battery post.

I know a number of instructions are written because of liability problems for the manufacturer. But is THAT cable really necessary? Or can I just hook up positive to positive and negative to negative and put it on 2amp?

Thoughts? AND TIA!!
Hi Donna. Connecting a charger that is plugged in or was recently plugged in could result in a spark that could ignite any hydrogen gas near the battery. Reading the instructions (I picked one from Tom's list) I think the intent of the 2 ft wire is to put any spark 2 ft. away from the battery. The only reason I can think of for using such a large wire is to provide something large to connect those less than stellar clamps that come with battery chargers.

I have your chargers grandfather, a '80's vintage Napa 10 - 2 charger. The 10 amp setting is for larger auto batteries and the 2 amp for smaller motorcycle batteries. Mine shuts down to trickle or float ( these terms seem to be used interchangeably) when the battery reaches a certain voltage level. When I use mine I touch the battery clamps of the unplugged charger together to eliminate any stored energy. I set the switches, connect to the battery terminals and only then plug it in. I never leave a charger plugged in all the time and when I charge I always check it periodically with a volt meter. I'm with Bob. I charge when needed. Be safe, Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3033939473.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Donna, Schumacher makes a wide range of chargers. If you want useful interpretation of the instructions, I suggest posting the specific model number.
SE-1010-2 Dual Rate Charger

I didn't expect to leave it plugged in an on all the time....
Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
SE-1010-2 Dual Rate Charger

I didn't expect to leave it plugged in an on all the time....
The manual (from my link above) seems generic in nature. For example, it says if the charger has an Automatic Charge Mode rather than saying the charger is automatic.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #17

It doesn't appear this charger acts as a float charger and doesn't shut down automatically, nor does it have a timer. I'll use it as others have done, check the battery monthly and boost the charge as needed. I'll also buy the 24" cable. Better to be safe than sorry!

The only thing I know about batteries and electricity is it works or it doesn't

Everyone has been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Thanks muchly!!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks to Tom for the link and Donna for the model number (which Tom already guessed correctly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The manual (from my link above) seems generic in nature. for example it says if the charger has an Automatic Charge Mode rather than saying the charger is automatic.
Yes, but knowing the specific model at least led us to the correct manual for the model range, so we know (for instance) that if it does not say on the charger that it has an Automatic mode, then it will never shut off. That's important, especially when other members who have more complex chargers irresponsibly suggest in this forum that every converter and charger has an automatic shutoff.

I believe that this charger was inexpensive because by the standards of this century it is crude. If you are willing to watch the ammeter and decide when to disconnect it, it will work fine. My 1980s vintage charger is about the same, but I don't use it any more.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you are willing to watch the ammeter and decide when to disconnect it, it will work fine.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I use both a regular charger (Vector) and a separate float charger. The larger charger is rated at 10 amps and as the battery charges cuts down to 6 amps, then to 2 amps. When the charge is complete, it turns off. It will also measure the battery voltage on its digital display. I've had it for 6 - 8 years and remember it costing about $50 at the time.

The float charger give a charge at 1.5 amps when the battery needs it. I just leave this one hooked up all the time. Whenever the trailer is parked at our home, there is an outdoor extension cord from a receptacle on the house that I plug into the trailer. This provides 120VAC to the the float charger as well as to a receptacle inside the trailer. So the trailer battery is on float anytime the trailer is connected to 120VAC. The float charger was a simple one from Wall Mart that ran $20 - $25 when I bought it. Actually I have several that are hooked up to the batteries on some classic cars I have and have kept the batteries in good shape for several years.

With the price of deep discharge batteries, especially, these days, I figure it pays to maintain them. I'm sure there are better, more advanced float chargers than I have, but I've had good service from these cheapo's. My son is even more frugal than I and uses the $5.00 ones from Harbor Freight on his Cadillac Allante and riding mower with great service.

So while a more sophisticated float charger may give longer battery service life, I doubt it is much more. A case of diminishing returns.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery