Securing battery on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Securing battery on Scamp

Searched the forum but didn't really find what I was looking for. Any ideas on best ways to secure battery box/battery to front of trailer. I was amazed when replacing my battery that the box is only held on by a strap. Would like something more secure with the ability to lock it. BTW, my new to me Scamp has not been used yet so forgive my ignorance. Going from tents to RV! Yippee. THank you for your help! Julie
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Julie what year is your Scamp - your profile doesnt indicate.

On my 92 there is a flat plate attached to the tongue that the battery sits on. Hard to notice unless you look directly under the battery box. The Battery box is screwed into the plate from inside the battery box which is what holds the battery in place. The strap on the outside of the box is simple holding the battery box cover in place.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

Alabama
You are absolutely right. My bolts are loose & rusted so will need to put new ones in. My Scamp is an '89 16 footer. What do you suggest for securing the battery so it doesn't get stolen? Something better than a strap I would think....
I see you bought your Scamp in Idaho, I am from Boise. Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have an older 5er that has a chain and padlock around the battery box. I have not heard of many trailer batteries being stolen. Most of the ones that were, the trailers were in storage lots.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #5

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
You could drill holes and bolt the box to the angle iron brackets. Then put a strap around the box and lid.
I owned a Scamp 16 a few years ago.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Registry
Hi Julie, yes I did pick it up in Idaho... purchased it from a very nice couple in Coeur d'Alene. Had a nephew attending the U of Idaho at the time - figured if I drove all the way there and it wasn't as advertised I could always drive the extra miles to Moscow and take him out for a nice easter dinner. :-) Happy to say I did both.

I have never had a lock on my battery and have never lost one on a trailer or a boat so I haven't really worried about locking it. As other have suggested I guess it depends a lot on where you store your trailer as to whether you feel you need to lock it.

Etrailer has an interesting suggestion using a Yakima RipCord locking strap, you can do it but it looks a little pricy.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Battery Lock....

Buy a small "U" bolt, drill two holes in the top cover for the bolt.
Thread a piece of chain through the "U" bolt and lock the ends of the chain together under the battery mount.
It will look "Locked" enough to deter all but the most determined thief.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Registry
Following Bob's line of thinking you may also be able to rivet a U bolt to the edge of the lid of the battery box and one just below it on the bottom section of the box and get a lock with a long shackle and put it through both.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #9

Alabama
Good thought & thank you all. I think for now will just get stronger strap & place new bolts.
Always appreciate the good advice from the experts!
Julie
Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
See the propane tank holdon below? I use one of those for my single propane tank. My battery sits in its box on the "empty" side. That holding "arm" rests very nicely against the top of the battery box, though of course at an angle. I tighten down the wing nut 'til everything's snug, making sure one of the "wings" is parallel to the holding arm when tight. Then I padlock the nut to the arm, thereby securing both tank and battery against theft.

Of course, the whole shootin' match depends on the Bad Guy being in a hurry and unwilling to get down on his hands and knees and crawl under the trailer to remove the nuts securing the holdon to the trailer tongue...
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
See the propane tank holdon below? I use one of those for my single propane tank. My battery sits in its box on the "empty" side. That holding "arm" rests very nicely against the top of the battery box, though of course at an angle. I tighten down the wing nut 'til everything's snug, making sure one of the "wings" is parallel to the holding arm when tight. Then I padlock the nut to the arm, thereby securing both tank and battery against theft.

Of course, the whole shootin' match depends on the Bad Guy being in a hurry and unwilling to get down on his hands and knees and crawl under the trailer to remove the nuts securing the holdon to the trailer tongue...
Would you have a picture of your set up with a battery installed? I also have a double propane tank holder, but I've never run through even one tank completely on 3-4 week camping trips. I figured I could just carry one tank and reposition the battery.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
Would you have a picture of your set up with a battery installed? I also have a double propane tank holder, but I've never run through even one tank completely on 3-4 week camping trips. I figured I could just carry one tank and reposition the battery.
Here ya go.
The fancy-dancy cake pan battery box tray is bolted to the frame, so the battery box itself must be lifted to get it out. Can't happen with the wingnut levering the arm down on it.

Side note:
Thanks a lot for making me notice how much the trailer tongue needs paint!
Attached Thumbnails
Battery 2.jpg   Battery 1.jpg  

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #13

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Just leave a note under the cover.

"Please steal this battery so my insurance will buy me a new one.
This one is 5 years old."
Thanks
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Just leave a note under the cover.

"Please steal this battery so my insurance will buy me a new one.
This one is 5 years old."
Thanks

or how about one that reads "Please help yourself to this one year old battery that someone let get down below 50% a few times."
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Thanks for the pics. I have the same battery box but I think my tongue area is a little tighter than yours, I'll have to see if I can squeeze a battery box sideways in there. You could screw/bolt a block to the lid of the box to make the hold down level.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #16

Alabama
Just purchased a new battery & am learning even more new stuff about voltage, amps all that weird stuff. Enjoying the conversation!

Tags
battery, scamp