Shoreline Hole Diameter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Shoreline Hole Diameter

So I recently bought a 30A power inlet so I can get rid of the shoreline cable and not worry about the space it takes up when it's "retracted". My question is how big is the hole in which the current shoreline cable hatch is mounted? It looks a little larger than the inlet I bought but it would still be nice if I can simply drill out the rivets of the cable hatch and reuse that hole. I just want to double check before I cut another hole in the trailer for the new inlet...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbevans View Post
So I recently bought a 30A power inlet so I can get rid of the shoreline cable and not worry about the space it takes up when it's "retracted". My question is how big is the hole in which the current shoreline cable hatch is mounted? It looks a little larger than the inlet I bought but it would still be nice if I can simply drill out the rivets of the cable hatch and reuse that hole. I just want to double check before I cut another hole in the trailer for the new inlet...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You have to drill out the rivets anyway so you might as well get going on the task and find out by doing a hands on check fit of what you bought against what you have. I know it probably makes you nervous, but you can do this.

If it is too much oversized you can make a backer plate to cover the difference in size or you could get a different power inlet that is a better fit. If it is too small you can make the opening larger using a small drum sander.

There is no trouble with the fit that can't be solved
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Virginia
I figured such but I'm trying to avoid modifying the current cable hatch if the new inlet isn't going to fit. I'm hoping that someone here has removed the cable hatch and measured the existing hole before I make a decision.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Can you just close the current door and then if it fits, install the outlet in/on/through the door. Lock the door after installing the new outlet.

Or replace the door with one of these. Only $200. Receptacle(s) extra.
Attached Images

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

Virginia
No. The plug is way to big. If the diameter of the current hole in place for the shore line is small enough, I just plan on removing the old cover and enlarging or reusing the hole for the new plug. If not, I'll leave the old cover in place and cut a new hole for the new plug I bought. I simply need the diameter of the current hole without having to remove the old cable shroud/cover just yet.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
No. The plug is way to big. If the diameter of the current hole in place for the shore line is small enough, I just plan on removing the old cover and enlarging or reusing the hole for the new plug. If not, I'll leave the old cover in place and cut a new hole for the new plug I bought. I simply need the diameter of the current hole without having to remove the old cable shroud/cover just yet.
How about a pic of the plug and the opening ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

Virginia
I'm working tonight but will try to get photos of it tomorrow. I really just need the diameter of that hole if anyone has removed the original cable shroud and measured it.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:35 AM   #8

California
Quote:
I'm working tonight but will try to get photos of it tomorrow. I really just need the diameter of that hole if anyone has removed the original cable shroud and measured it.
From the answers so far it seems that we're not understanding what you want to do. There have been other questions ask here in the past that members responded to but after a pic was posted it was totally different than what we all had in our minds eye.....all in the right name for the item .
Old 07-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I understand what they are doing. What they are hoping for is something that was unlikely to have been kept as a long term record. What they want to know is the diameter of the hole that was made at the factory for installing the original electrical cord port. Most people just remove the old part and then they try to find a suitable replacement rather than the other way around. If they wrote that measurement down it was likely done on a piece of scrap paper than was tossed away shortly afterwards.

Or you could get creative with cardboard and tape and make a poor man's caliper to measure the size of the hole from inside the trailer. A piece of cardboard on each side of the hole and one crosswise, tape the pieces of cardboard together, remove cardboard as one piece and then measure the gap. That will tell you approximately what diameter the hole is.

Every elementary school student should be required to learn how to measure with calipers. I teach 3rd graders how to use them. They are so easy to use for this kind of thing. Every DIY tool box should contain this extremely handy tool. If you don't know how to use one here is a tutorial I wrote on it several years ago for a group of people who make miniatures but are not too familiar with using tools.
http://karincorbin.blogspot.com/2009...-calipers.html

If you had a pair you could go right out and measure the round shape that is inside of the hole that projects inside of your trailer and that would tell you the hole must be at least that large if not just a little bit bigger. Then you could measure the replacement you bought and see if it is a close match. Your local hardware store is very likely to have an affordable digital caliper in stock. They have become quite common on the tool aisle in the last couple of years.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #10

California
KC, I understand what you're saying but this question can be taken a numbers of ways. My reference to a pic comes from other posts from folks that didn't know the true name of what they were asking about. After many responses, which were correct for how we all read that post, the OP posted a pic and we were all wrong because of nomenclature. I'm sure the few answers are because members aren't getting exactly what the OP's wanting to do and with what. A couple pictures will tell it all and probably should have been added in the original post. The 1000 word thing .