So how good is this inverter?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Quote:
10 guage wire is plenty robust. You would need one hell of alot of current to melt it. And the fuse would blow long before any meltage occured.The fuse is a basic in line fuse which i bought from an automotive eletrical repair shop. They are actually a supplier for anything dc related. The fuse is wired at the battery teminal. So i have about 2 inches of wire off the battery terminal. Then the fuse. Then it runs to the inverter. I did not ground the inverter to the frame. You can do it if you like. I loom all my wire to avoid wire chaffing on other parts and ultimately rubbing off the insulation causing a dead short. I also solder all connections and heat shrink over the soldering.Thats it.
The fuse holder BTW takes one of the 2 blade fuses that are standard on all new cars now. Although you could use the old style glass fuses found on older cars. Makes no difference. I used a 15 amp fuse.
If elecrical is not your cup of tea. I can make you a harness and ship it off to you.
Wow that would be great, how much do you want for one? I can paypal or whatever you'd like. Paddy (formerly of the Queen Charlotte Islands, Masset actually)

Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow that would be great, how much do you want for one? I can paypal or whatever you'd like. Paddy (formerly of the Queen Charlotte Islands, Masset actually)

Actually I think I'm taking this unit back, it more trouble than it is worth. I can get one all in for about the same price just not as much juice. But no wiring worries. tks, anyway Pat

Old 05-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 73 Boler
No problem Paddy. If you change your mind i could build you a harness for about $15 plus shipping. You would just have to tell me how far away your battery is from the inverter. I could have it to you with canada posts cooperation in about a week.

Or.

I can draw you a simple schematic with the supplies you need and you would just have to pick the stuff up at your local automotive supply shop then built it yourself.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
No problem Paddy. If you change your mind i could build you a harness for about $15 plus shipping. You would just have to tell me how far away your battery is from the inverter. I could have it to you with canada posts cooperation in about a week.

Or.

I can draw you a simple schematic with the supplies you need and you would just have to pick the stuff up at your local automotive supply shop then built it yourself.
Yah thanks, Canadian Tire has a nice 400w or 800 w motomaster plus all the goodies I'll need. Paddy

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true

That should be able to power one of these....
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true
Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 73 Boler
ahhh. Perfect.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I have this model of Xantrex inverter (same Canadian Tire sale...) and have two notes about the wiring:
  • while smaller inverters come with the required wiring, the higher-capacity models of this brand do not
  • 10 gauge wire is plenty for 15 A of current; however, this inverter will draw far more than 15 amps if it needs to in order to meet your power demands; with a battery at 12 volts, 15 A of DC current means 180 watts of DC power input, and less than 90% of that (less than 162 W) of AC power output. Using the full 1000 W means drawing about 100 amps!
I have not installed mine yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #21

Quote:
I have this model of Xantrex inverter (same Canadian Tire sale...) and have two notes about the wiring:
  • while smaller inverters come with the required wiring, the higher-capacity models of this brand do not
  • 10 gauge wire is plenty for 15 A of current; however, this inverter will draw far more than 15 amps if it needs to in order to meet your power demands; with a battery at 12 volts, 15 A of DC current means 180 watts of DC power input, and less than 90% of that (less than 162 W) of AC power output. Using the full 1000 W means drawing about 100 amps!
I have not installed mine yet.
Me neither, Canadian Tire got it back, Now I'm ^*&^$% Coleman for their poor instructions and wiring on the solar "kit" I bought.