So how good is this inverter?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...fromSearch=true

On sale this week, but I will need to buy or make the wires to hook up to my battery.
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I use a 400 watt from CTC to power my fridge when driving and it works OK.....I believe that all the wiring that you`ll need, and then some, should come with the unit.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
I use a 400 watt from CTC to power my fridge when driving and it works OK.....I believe that all the wiring that you`ll need, and then some, should come with the unit.......Benny
Nope, no wiring, I'll have to make some up. Whick is ok as I would mount this inside the trailer and run wires out to the battery with the batter wires. In this price range is this a good unit or should I look for one with a battery charger incorperated as well? I can also use better wire and clips if I make them myself as well.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #4

When you mention charger, you`re not confusing the inverter with a convertor are you? Benny
Old 05-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
When you mention charger, you`re not confusing the inverter with a convertor are you? Benny
No, but I was reading this morning that some inverters have a charger built in, news to me
that one. I have the original converter in my Trill and it works fine. Will either go solar, generator or tug to charge the battery in the wild.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 73 Boler
Yup. I have that 1000 watt xantrex. Works just fine thank you very much.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #7

Well well Paddy...... something new all the time! Thanks for the info.....I was thinking about that 1000 w inverter myself ....decent price.....but don`t really have a use for it.......Colin, what do you use yours for and how bad is it on battery power?.......Benny
Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #8

I cant answer your question on battery useage because i use mine for powering whatever i feel i need to plug in. Which has been a portable stereo for about 10 minutes. The only reason i bought it was to have 120 ac when i need it. I have'nt needed it yet. But its there. When i do need it it will be for recharging camera batteries, recharging my 18 v drill, the wifes straightening iron(hair) or running our cappachino machine. It has an on/off switch so it is drawing 0 power until we need it.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
I cant answer your question on battery useage because i use mine for powering whatever i feel i need to plug in. Which has been a portable stereo for about 10 minutes. The only reason i bought it was to have 120 ac when i need it. I have'nt needed it yet. But its there. When i do need it it will be for recharging camera batteries, recharging my 18 v drill, the wifes straightening iron(hair) or running our cappachino machine. It has an on/off switch so it is drawing 0 power until we need it.
Colin, how do you have this hooked up?? I thought that I would just have to run wires from the + - terminals on the Trilliums battery to this inverter but the instructions say otherwise. Or is that ok with the battery already being grounded?? Pat
Old 05-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Paddy,

I have this invertor and use it for making coffee and toast on Sat and Sun mornings while boondocking, as well as running a tv at night. Making coffee will run down the battery a bit but not too bad if it's just on a 2 or 3 day weekend.

I have two deep cycle batteries.

I put my invertor on the floor of a closet just three feet from the battery compartment and ran #2 wire with blade type connectors. I also grounded the invertor to the frame with #12 wire.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Paddy,

I have this invertor and use it for making coffee and toast on Sat and Sun mornings while boondocking, as well as running a tv at night. Making coffee will run down the battery a bit but not too bad if it's just on a 2 or 3 day weekend.

I have two deep cycle batteries.

I put my invertor on the floor of a closet just three feet from the battery compartment and ran #2 wire with blade type connectors. I also grounded the invertor to the frame with #12 wire.

Paul
Thanks Paul, did you use a fuse next to the battery end of the connections? Like these ones or maybe something different??
http://www.donrowe.com/accessories/fuse_anl.html
Old 05-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #12

Hi Paddy. Was gone away camping but am back now. Just run 10 guage wire from postive of battery to positive of inverter and have an inline fuse. negative to negative as well. No need for a fuse here. I mounted my inverter under the sink. I also made a short cord that plugs into the inverter and wired this cord to a 120 receptacle . This way i dont plug things directly into the inverter. I plug things into the 120 receptacle just like normal household receptacle and just flip the switch on the inverter. My battery box BTW is under the table/bed area which is about 4 feet from the inverter.

Pictures are available on request.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Paddy. Was gone away camping but am back now. Just run 10 guage wire from postive of battery to positive of inverter and have an inline fuse. negative to negative as well. No need for a fuse here. I mounted my inverter under the sink. I also made a short cord that plugs into the inverter and wired this cord to a 120 receptacle . This way i dont plug things directly into the inverter. I plug things into the 120 receptacle just like normal household receptacle and just flip the switch on the inverter. My battery box BTW is under the table/bed area which is about 4 feet from the inverter.

Pictures are available on request.
So the 10 guage doesn't melt Colin? I'm very confused now. It seems to call for #2 wire. What type of fuse did you run, how far from the + terminal is it. Could you tell me the fuse size and type? Did you ground the inverter to the frame of your rig. Sorry to be a pest, thanks, Paddy.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #14

10 guage wire is plenty robust. You would need one hell of alot of current to melt it. And the fuse would blow long before any meltage occured.The fuse is a basic in line fuse which i bought from an automotive eletrical repair shop. They are actually a supplier for anything dc related. The fuse is wired at the battery teminal. So i have about 2 inches of wire off the battery terminal. Then the fuse. Then it runs to the inverter. I did not ground the inverter to the frame. You can do it if you like. I loom all my wire to avoid wire chaffing on other parts and ultimately rubbing off the insulation causing a dead short. I also solder all connections and heat shrink over the soldering.Thats it.
The fuse holder BTW takes one of the 2 blade fuses that are standard on all new cars now. Although you could use the old style glass fuses found on older cars. Makes no difference. I used a 15 amp fuse.
If elecrical is not your cup of tea. I can make you a harness and ship it off to you.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
10 guage wire is plenty robust. You would need one hell of alot of current to melt it. And the fuse would blow long before any meltage occured.The fuse is a basic in line fuse which i bought from an automotive eletrical repair shop. They are actually a supplier for anything dc related. The fuse is wired at the battery teminal. So i have about 2 inches of wire off the battery terminal. Then the fuse. Then it runs to the inverter. I did not ground the inverter to the frame. You can do it if you like. I loom all my wire to avoid wire chaffing on other parts and ultimately rubbing off the insulation causing a dead short. I also solder all connections and heat shrink over the soldering.Thats it.
The fuse holder BTW takes one of the 2 blade fuses that are standard on all new cars now. Although you could use the old style glass fuses found on older cars. Makes no difference. I used a 15 amp fuse.
If elecrical is not your cup of tea. I can make you a harness and ship it off to you.
Wow that would be great, how much do you want for one? I can paypal or whatever you'd like. Paddy (formerly of the Queen Charlotte Islands, Masset actually)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow that would be great, how much do you want for one? I can paypal or whatever you'd like. Paddy (formerly of the Queen Charlotte Islands, Masset actually)

Actually I think I'm taking this unit back, it more trouble than it is worth. I can get one all in for about the same price just not as much juice. But no wiring worries. tks, anyway Pat
Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #17

No problem Paddy. If you change your mind i could build you a harness for about $15 plus shipping. You would just have to tell me how far away your battery is from the inverter. I could have it to you with canada posts cooperation in about a week.

Or.

I can draw you a simple schematic with the supplies you need and you would just have to pick the stuff up at your local automotive supply shop then built it yourself.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #18

Quote:
No problem Paddy. If you change your mind i could build you a harness for about $15 plus shipping. You would just have to tell me how far away your battery is from the inverter. I could have it to you with canada posts cooperation in about a week.

Or.

I can draw you a simple schematic with the supplies you need and you would just have to pick the stuff up at your local automotive supply shop then built it yourself.
Yah thanks, Canadian Tire has a nice 400w or 800 w motomaster plus all the goodies I'll need. Paddy

That should be able to power one of these....
Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #19

ahhh. Perfect.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have this model of Xantrex inverter (same Canadian Tire sale...) and have two notes about the wiring:
  • while smaller inverters come with the required wiring, the higher-capacity models of this brand do not
  • 10 gauge wire is plenty for 15 A of current; however, this inverter will draw far more than 15 amps if it needs to in order to meet your power demands; with a battery at 12 volts, 15 A of DC current means 180 watts of DC power input, and less than 90% of that (less than 162 W) of AC power output. Using the full 1000 W means drawing about 100 amps!
I have not installed mine yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote