So- tell me about power converter... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve my Scamp was set up with the 120 volt breakers and the 12 volt as well but with a convertor connecting them. When you switched over to the Dynamics PD 4045 what did you do with the 120 volt breaker system Scamp had in it - if I am reading correctly the 4045 comes with all that built in - correct? Was there an upside to using the PD4045 with the built in 120 volt breakers vs just putting in a converter with a smart charge system in between the 12 volt and 120 volt system you already had? Asking as I would like to keep the replacement of the current converter as simple as possible - would like to do myself but not big on playing with/making bit changes regarding the power supply on the trailer.
I did the same. I put the pd4045 in the cabinet the breaker panel was in; and extended the 12v wires to that side. I removed the factory breaker panel and converter.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Steve and Jared thanks for the additional info. Will have to take a closer look at the whats in there before moving forward or run it out to Escape and have them make the change over for me if I decide I am to uncomfortable with it.

John, I hear you as I actually have a pretty good handle on how a battery works & why they go bad fast - in part to do with my education as well as my profession ;-)

Do a fair bit of off grid camping each year and somehow manage to get by and get the battery to hold a charge fairly well for a fair number of days. Current one is 5 years old (with about 250 days of dry camping on it plus plug in days equal to or more) and it managed to hold enough charge to get by dry camping for 4 days recently without going below 50% a couple of weeks ago. That included running a FF, LED lights and the water pump and a little MP3 player time. Must be doing something right ;-)

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

You can make this as simple or complicated as you want and think you need.

You can just get a battery and charger and leave it at that. No need for special dedicated RV stuff at all if that is what you want?
If you get a 10 amp charger of almost any type it will likely run simple lights in the trailer just fine and charge the battery safely as well.

You can also go further and get an RV converter,it does not really matter which one unless you decide you need certain features and are willing to pay for them.

You could get Solar and/or an Inverter if you think you need them but there is no need to start there nor did you ask for info about these so I would start off by keeping it simple for a lot of reasons.

Like Byron suggests,changing the lights out for LED lights or just bulbs will go a long way toward helping make your DC needs lower but if you really do intend to camp where there is power then there is no requirement that you get an entire DC system with battery and converter.

You do get additional freedom I think by setting up for battery power on some level but you can add this stuff in stages too depending on your trips and what you feel is right for you.

In my first 2 Eggs I used a simple 10 amp battery charger that would also supply its full output continuously for the lights and fans I needed.
It was a high quality Marine model that I found on clearance for under $50.00 and was a full multi-stage smart charger that worked perfectly for my needs. Add to that a cheap but effective WalMart deep cycle battery and battery box and I was in business and for years this was just fine for my needs.

There are a lot of ways to do a lot of different things in an RV and if you want to just get your feet wet but not spend a lot then there are a lot of ways to do that too.
Hello Tom. I think Ed has given good advice. I don't see any mention of a charge line connecting your tow vehicle battery to the trailer battery for charge purposes in your original post. If you have one you're all set. If not add it to your list. Best of luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Please stop the insults and snarky comments when you disagree with one another!

Several comments are under review in this thread.

A handful of individuals do not seem to understand that we will not tolerate personal attacks.
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Name: Shane
Trailer: 1978 trillium 4500
I'm off grid all the time and this is what I do,
I have 2 deep 12v battery's and honda 2000i generator. When the battery's dies I charge it. It's that easy! Fridge,stove and heater are propane, so I just need power for lights. If I need more power I run the generator hooked up to trailer. One battery takes around three and half hours to charge full and last for 4-5 days. It works for me!

Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote