Soft Start device for AC units. NOT a capacitor! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Soft Start device for AC units. NOT a capacitor!

Here’s review of a device talked about on the Casita forum about small generators like the Honda 2000i running 13,5000 btu AC units.
The reviewer conducts tests using a Honad 2000i, Westinghouse 20001 and the HF Predator 2500 generators and his Mach III 13,5000 AC unit in 100f temperatures in Florida.
A good read for those interested.
Padgett's AC/Generator Shootout 2015 v1.4

Forgot to mention it is $320, cheaper then 2 honda units or a 3000i.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Micro-Air EasyStart

I've just ordered the EasyStart 366 for my Propane powered Honda EU2000i and my Dometic BriskAire 13.5k BTU rooftop A/C.
The 366 is the board only for a much lower price ($146 + SH) and does the same job as the enclosed 364 but has to be wired and installed with a cover.
Apparently, the manufacturer has tested this device very successfully with my combination of A/C and Genny.
We'll see. Hopefully, I can install it and try it out before I pack it up for the winter.
I'll post results afterwards.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I added the EasyStart to my Atwood 13500 and not only would it run from a Honda 2000i, it would run on my 2000Watt inverter. The battery drain is 95 AMP hours so even with (4) Trojan T105s the run time was only a couple of hours but that sure makes a difference at a hot rest stop.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
I've just ordered the EasyStart 366 for my Propane powered Honda EU2000i and my Dometic BriskAire 13.5k BTU rooftop A/C.
The 366 is the board only for a much lower price ($146 + SH) and does the same job as the enclosed 364 but has to be wired and installed with a cover.
Apparently, the manufacturer has tested this device very successfully with my combination of A/C and Genny.
We'll see. Hopefully, I can install it and try it out before I pack it up for the winter.
Mike .....>
It also comes without the needed capacitor.

Joe
Old 10-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #5

Here's a u-tube video compairing the easy start to the factory hard start and supco hard start.

Joe.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Mike .....>
Where did you find the lower priced item? Have you tried it yet?
Bhamm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I received and installed the EasyStart!

Bob:
Yes, I got it, installed it, and it works with my propane adapted Honda EU2000i Genny. I'll attach a few pictures, if I can, on how it went together.
My costs, in CDN Dollars were more than US$ because of extra shipping and Customs Clearing costs, but were still well worth it to me.
The pictures show the original wiring with the useless Dometic Hard Start installed, the 366 board mounted on the front plate and then the final wiring with the old hard start removed. It then was screwed back onto the AC. After about 7 start/stops on 'shore' power, I started up the Genny and ran it about 5 times in Econo mode - no problem. Outside temp was mid 70s so this was NOT the real test as it would be in the 90s, but it sounded so quiet starting that I anticipate no problems. Good luck.
Mike .....>
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1441 (Medium).JPG   DSCN1444 (Medium).JPG  

DSCN1445 (Medium).JPG  
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamm1 View Post
Where did you find the lower priced item? Have you tried it yet?
Go here
Micro-Air - Products
Then click products > hover over "easy start" click 366 or low cost.

Joe
Old 10-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

I recieved my start cap today and in 5 minutes I was doing the first of five "learning" starts on commercial power.
Then I brought out my Honda 2000i.
With the AC on high and the trailer 30 amp plug unplugged.
I plugged the trailer plug in and the fan came on and the engine sound only changed very slightly then in 5 seconds the compressor came on and the Honda barley burped, no high speed roar, just a small increase.
I did this several times waiting 3 minutes between starts to allow the AC pressure to bleed down.
Next I tried plugging it in without waiting for the three minute bleed down and the engine sped up but did not roar and go into overload as the Easy Start shut the compressor down and in 3 minutes restarted it all by it's self.

Now it was only 80f here today, not desert heat but still warm.

The easy start does nothing once the AC starts and is running but the engine is running slower. The only reason I can think of since it does not have to speed up so much to start the compressor it's perfectly just putting along??

Just my thought.
Here's the install in my 1999 Dometic Brisk Air 7,180 BTU.
Before and After.
Attached Thumbnails
circuit_box_inside.JPG   Easy_Start_Install.JPG  

Old 10-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

Texas
I ordered and received my Control Easy Start 3 Ton from Micro-Air. At my age, and working on the top, it took longer than 15 min., and I did repair holes in my cover, but upon completion it worked as advertised. I still find it hard to believe that I can cool a 25' Bigfoot using my Honda 2000, but it works. This should be in all camper AC's.
Bob Hamm
Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhamm1 View Post
I ordered and received my Control Easy Start 3 Ton from Micro-Air. At my age, and working on the top, it took longer than 15 min., and I did repair holes in my cover, but upon completion it worked as advertised. I still find it hard to believe that I can cool a 25' Bigfoot using my Honda 2000, but it works. This should be in all camper AC's.
Bob Hamm
Bob

What size AC is in your Big foot?

Joe
Old 10-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #12

Texas
According to the book, 11000 BTU. I know all this since, after all, I have owned it about 10 days.
Bob
Old 10-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Thanks Bob

The Honda 2000i will start a 13,500 with an easy start too.

Joe
Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just finished (or I should say, finally got around to,) installing my new Easy Start. It took a little head scratching to come up with a suitable mounting place since I have the "vertically challenged A/C unit. Finally wound up fabricating a sheet metal mounting plate which I mounted to the side of the air plenum, (after removing the top cover to eyeball the innards to make sure I wasn't going to run a screw into anything that would make me start cussing.) I found a clear spot right next to the capacitor enclosure so it worked out well. Just punched a hole in the side of the cap enclosure and put a rubber grommet in the hole so I could run the Easy Start wiring in and tie it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
easy_start_install 010.JPG   easy_start_install 009.JPG  

easy_start_install 005.JPG   easy_start_install 012.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #15

Not much room in that AC for sure

So was the weather warm enough to try it out?

Joe
Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
No Joe, it's actually been fairly nice today, but the weather guesser is talking about nasty rainy weather and windy coming in over the next several days.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

If anybody is interested in one check in the "appliance section" on the Casita forum for some very good info. hint hint...
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...t/page__st__30

Post #45.

Joe
Old 10-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
If you have ever been woke up by the sound of your air conditioner compressor cycling on and off this is a product you may be interested in. After installing mine I can hardly hear the compressor ramp up.
I have no interest in the company that produces the board that can accomplish this but I love the change it made in my air conditioner. Sweet dreams!
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #19

What I mentioned above about a post on the Casita forum here's what it says.
Special announcement here:

To show our appreciation, Micro-Air is going to extend a discount offer to all Casita owners between now and the end of the calendar year for $50 off the EasyStart 364 or the equivalent percentage off the EasyStart 366. Just enter the coupon code "CASITA" during checkout on our webstore.

So to save some $$'s order before Christmas
Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #20

The offer has been extended but won't last forever.

I forgot to mention the fantastic level of support you get from Micro Air if you need it or just have a question or two.

Joe