Solar and induction cooktop - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #15

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
OK Roger, your points are noted, thank you. I have considered an alcohol stove as an alternative. After looking at the one offered by Solo, this will more than likely be my solution. I had hesitated to go with alcohol stoves because there seemed to be no control of the flame. However the Solo stove says that is possible. I usually cook outside on a Sierra backpackers wood burning stove. I can cook dinner with twigs or a couple charcoal briquettes. I am simply looking for a way to make my coffee on a rainy day.

I plan to place the batteries and solar panels on my TV so that I can park my camper in the shade, if there is any.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Lisa, I am not surprised that you are looking for alternatives to LP after your experience, but as RogerDat pointed out, it is an uphill battle. Your quest is similar to those who ask, for example, about running the refrigerators in the 12V mode from solar, or running the air conditioner. It was said here many times how difficult that would be.

The conveniences of modern life are largely based on the fact that fossil fuels, like LP, have high energy content per pound, and the systems that use them are able to deliver high power. Can't get away from that. Cooking a dinner takes a lot of energy in a short time. Electric only systems have their failure modes and some could also be pretty dramatic, so all need to be used deliberately and with care. I hope when you are done with your search and carefully consider the trade-offs, you find one that will work for you. I doubt it is possible to go off-grid without LP gas, but I might be wrong.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #17

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Expensive solar setup, huge heavy batteries... Nothing could beat simple propane tank and stove when staying off grid... Period.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #18

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
If you plan to camp off-grid a lot it might be one solution to look into something like a Cobb stove or a volcano. That induction stove seems to be the sticking point
Having cooked on an alcohol stove, I'm here to tell you it's not much of an option. It takes forever to boil water and almost as long to heat soup. Alcohol has much less energy than LP or butane.
We mostly camp off grid with solar, LED lights , small fans and a propane stove. We use ice for refridgeration, sometimes a lot of it. And a lot of home canned meals
Propane is dangerous, but it also makes a very simple system and there are ways to reduce the risks. We often use a camp stove outside.
YMMV but in the end you choose what works best for you. The simpler you keep it, the more time you have for things you enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...just to give you some real world numbers to think about....
12vdc to 120vac is a10 fold increase in amperage to maintain the wattage...in other words, an induction cook top will draw 10+ amps from 120vac(around 1000-1200watts)...to get this wattage from 12vdc, your battery will havvta output 100-120 amps...dual Trojan 1275 batteries(weighing around 90#s each) will give you 300amps for 1 hour...after which they would be completely dead, never to be used again...30 min will use 50% of available power which is the max you should discharge a battery....wire sizes to supply that power will be around a #2 wire size and those two specific batts will cost around 500bucks(or more)...not to mention the cost of a 1500watt inverter...OR, you can put aside your fears and get a $40 propane stove along with the appropriate hoses and/or tankage and be making coffee, worry free for a comparably looooong time, the choice is completely yours.............
madjack
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #20

Florida
OK, thank you everyone for your input, interest and opinions. I will indeed decide what is best for me.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
One of my camping friends uses a one burner butane stove that stores in small 12x12x4 inch plastic case. I know nothing about it but he likes it. Just another option for you to look into. If nothing else there is only the bottle and no hoses to think about.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have two of them and use them along with my BBQ for cooking outside.
They are inexpensive, compact and light. Perfect for heating a cast iron pan in no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Butane stove.jpg   Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg  

Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 AM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have two of them and use them along with my BBQ for cooking outside.
They are inexpensive, compact and light. Perfect for heating a cast iron pan in no time.
Kind of off the OPs question but since you use both types of gas, how do they compare ?
Old 03-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The best solution for using 120 volt appliances boondocking is a generator. A quiet Honda sells for about $1000. Cheaper than the large solar panels, the batteries, the inverter, and the electrician to wire it all.

Of course if you want to throw money at it, anything is possible. There was a fellow with an 15' Aliner. He wanted off grid air conditioning at night. Because of generator restrictions he went with batteries and an inverter. Took up half the trailer. He used a generator to recharge during the day.

When I first got into RVing I was concerned with the propane. Now I have a propane stove at home. On the road one tank covers my cooking needs and runs the refrigerator for weeks. A propane stove is far safer than a coleman white gas stove. Far safer. Raz
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a Harbor Freight 2500 watt inverter generator that does a good job and is (when the intake silencer is added) as quiet as the Honda and puts out more power.
I could get by with the EU1000 as my AC doesn't draw over 1 KW and it is lighter and quieter.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a question for you guys.
I have the tankless water heater on my Scamo and I want to know if the 1lb bottles can be adapted like they go the the barbecue grills?
I don't think that the heater uses much gas since it runs very little and I would like to try it out to see if I can keep 4 -5 of the cans since I also have a small grille that uses them.
I* could also reduce the tongue weight a little as well. I guess I can see how long the 20 lb tank lasts or use it to refill some of the small cans like I see adapters for.
The reason I went with the barbecue grill size tank was I could just swap it out if I needed a refill away from home.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Kind of off the OPs question but since you use both types of gas, how do they compare ?
The butane stove heats a pot of water much faster than the propane inside the trailer. I don't have the numbers or testing to say if one is cheaper than the other.
I just find the butane convenient to use.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #28

Florida
Thanks Glenn

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
solar