Solar Charger - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Solar Charger

I have a U Haul CT 13 and I am not sure if the Solar Charger is working. I know it can be tested, but how? This is the last wild in my CT I have everything else working. Any info on these would help me out because I have never used anything like this. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I'd unplug the battery and the electric to the trailer and put my meter to the leads to see if any current is flowing from the solar panel.
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
So this thing should make power without a load? I'll give it a look as soon as I can find my meter. Thanks for the quick answer.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Yes it is always charging if subject to light, the controller regulates the output but it is always working in the daytime. If you know where the controller is you can test it there also.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes it is always charging if subject to light, the controller regulates the output but it is always working in the daytime. If you know where the controller is you can test it there also.
Well it has power coming to it and from it to the batterie box wires. But it does not put out enough to run any of the inside lights. I will put a batterie in there and see how it maintains the state of charge over time.

Thank you so much for the help.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Chris, I found that my controller was bad and that the panel itself hardly put out anything.

To test the solar panel, disconnect the wires from the panel to the controller mounted on the side of the battery box. Attach an ammeter lead to each wire end while in full sun. That panel is about 5 watts, so you should get about 0.4 amps or so.

I replaced my panel with a 60 watt panel, which will do some serious charging. The original was only designed to prevent the battery from going stone dead when the trailer sat for a long time.

This place has pretty good prices on solar panels and controllers.

12 Volt Solar Panels
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
May only be a 15 watt battery maintainer panel. Pictures would help.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
May only be a 15 watt battery maintainer panel. Pictures would help.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2218541646.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	54017

That's the controller. It clicks when I turn on lights without the batterie hooked up. Might be why it will not run any of the inside lights without a batterie hooked up because it wasn't designed as a stand alone unit. But if the sun is out I won't need lights on the inside anyway.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Well it has power coming to it and from it to the batterie box wires. But it does not put out enough to run any of the inside lights. I will put a batterie in there and see how it maintains the state of charge over time.

Thank you so much for the help.
Chris I doubt if it was originally set up to run anything directly off of it. Solar panels are most often set up to recharge the battery with the lights running off the battery not directly from the panel.

I seem to recall though that original reading here once that the solar panels on the old U-hauls were actually very small 3 watt?? & not really meant to fully recharge the battery - only meant to avoid battery sulfation while the trailers sat at the rental lot.

If it is a 15 watt though it should be able to recharging the battery in full sun in the course of a day with no load on the battery or at least my old 15 watt panel did.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Chris I doubt if it was originally set up to run anything directly off of it. Solar panels are most often set up to recharge the battery with the lights running off the battery not directly from the panel.

I seem to recall though that original reading here once that the solar panels on the old U-hauls were actually very small 3 watt?? & not really meant to fully recharge the battery - only meant to avoid battery sulfation while the trailers sat at the rental lot.

If it is a 15 watt though it should be able to recharging the battery in full sun in the course of a day with no load on the battery or at least my old 15 watt panel did.
It is way less than 15 watts. It is an amorphous cell which only produce about 5 watts per square foot when new.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mmeyer's Avatar
 
Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Posts: 472
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

It is way less than 15 watts. It is an amorphous cell which only produce about 5 watts per square foot when new.
I looked at the one I took off the VT the model /serial number starts with a 84 and ends with -15 which would likely indicate built in 1984 and 15 watts. CT 's may be different.
Michael J
__________________
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I looked at the one I took off the VT the model /serial number starts with a 84 and ends with -15 which would likely indicate built in 1984 and 15 watts. CT 's may be different.
Michael J
Dunno. I know that when I tested the output of mine it was only a watt or two after 27 years.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mmeyer's Avatar
 
Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Posts: 472
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Dunno. I know that when I tested the output of mine it was only a watt or two after 27 years.
When I feel better I will dig out my decade resistor box and do some measurements, I know it will charge 10 ah 12v gel cells.
__________________
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Here is a video that shows how to measure solar panel output.

Solar Panels - How to Test - AltE Video Tip - YouTube
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar Trickle Charger & Dead Battery V'sGlassSleeper Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 03-19-2010 08:29 PM
Solar Panel Trickle Charger? Steve Dunkel General Chat 17 02-21-2010 01:42 PM
Solar Charger and Panels Frederick L. Simson Modifications, Alterations and Updates 109 08-11-2008 11:41 PM
Solar Powered Battery Charger Rich S Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 6 10-17-2006 10:19 AM
Solar charger questions Steve Rosenberg Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 17 12-01-2005 02:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.