Solar Flashlights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Anyone have one?

Do they work all that well? Thinking about getting one, but not if they are whimpy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i used one once it was about 6 months old i did hot like it seemed not very bright and lost battery life fast...ended up buying a rechargeable mag light and installed it in my truck..have had that one year now works great...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I understand the logic of a solar-powered outdoor light: it is outside in the sunshine all day, so it can charge up for use at night. I have two, and one works tolerably well at home. On the road camping, it would be useless on travel days (unless mounted cleverly - see the other topic on this).

A solar flashlight, on the other hand, makes no sense to me: why would my flashlight sit out in the sun all day? I use LED flashlights with AA batteries, power them with rechargeable NiMH batteries, and recharge the batteries from the car or home AC power (the trailer power would work, too). A flashlight with the charger built-in, which is stored plugged into an AC outlet or DC lighter socket (to suit individual needs) seems like a much more workable idea than putting a solar cell on a flashlight.

I know someone who has found one of the hand-cranked flashlights quite workable. They have a battery in them, so you crank them up them use them for a while - they don't need to be cranked continuously. This, too, seems like a more workable setup than solar, and doesn't depend on an electrical power source for recharging.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I learned about LED flashlights on this very forum. They have come a long, long way in price (down) and light (more powerful). They will run forever on AAA batteries and I wouldn't be without them. I have several in my trailer and they are wonderful. I do have one LED lantern that runs (and runs and runs) on Ds, but the others are AAA. In fact, I even have a little lantern that I paid $6 for that runs on As.

When I first got my trailer, I got a really good flashlight. Only problem was that it is powered with D batteries that don't last. I took extras with me to keep the light going. Now, I don't need to.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
If you want to go solar, then maybe you could get the rechargeable batteries and use a small solar charger to keep them up.

... but, don't forget where you store it cuz you won't need it very often.

Here's a little one.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't imagine solar flashlights would be much different than solar anything. You've got to get them into sun light to recharge. As with many flashlights the batteries would probably be down when wanted it. I found an LED light that you shake to get light. One minute of shaking the flashlight gives you a couple minutes of light. Never runs out of battery. I keep in the trailer that and a couple mini-mag lights (the AAA battery type). I also have one of the mini-led lights on my key chain.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
How would they work at night when you need them the most without any sunlight.

I have seen the crank up kind (White Led) for less than $17USD at BJ's and they seam to work somewhat ok.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #8

Registry
Darwin, they charge small batteries during the day..

Remember, a day without sunshine is like..... night.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
I know someone who has found one of the [b]hand-cranked flashlights quite workable. They have a battery in them, so you crank them up them use them for a while - they don't need to be cranked continuously. This, too, seems like a more workable setup than solar, and doesn't depend on an electrical power source for recharging.

I got one of these for Christmas. It works great and runs for a very long time on a few minute's worth of cranking. I haven't used a solar flashlight, but I would think that this would be much more practical if you didn't want to use Ni-MH rechargable batteries.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via AIM to Slocamper
Quote:
I got one of these for Christmas. It works great and runs for a very long time on a few minute's worth of cranking. I haven't used a solar flashlight, but I would think that this would be much more practical if you didn't want to use Ni-MH rechargable batteries.
Our local Costco has the crank up lights. They come two in a package for $19.99 and each one has 3 bulbs in it. I tried one that a friend bought. They say to crank for 1 minute and they will burn for 1 hour. I tried it. I cranked for 1 minute and it was still burning strong almost 3 hours later. Maybe I just got lucky but I was impressed.
Slocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
That sounds about right. The one I got has three LEDs but the on/off switch alternates between all three on or just the center one, so you can further conserve power if you don't need all the light that three will produce.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #12

Registry
I have a crank radio that works for a little over an hour with about a minute cranking.

It consumes more juice than an LED, and it has 3 Rechargables in it, so I would guess that a wee little flashlight could go for quite some time. (Depending on the dynamo system)

The radio also has a single white led for an emergency light that I have used .. amazingly enough, in an emergency LOL! You couldn't read by it, but it did OK for zone sight.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #13

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I have 2 solar flashlights but forget to leave them in the sun so most of the time there's not much life left in them. Just bought a new light at Wal-Mart in the fishing section. It's one of those shake type flashlights. 1 minute of shaking gives 100min of light. Pretty bright led bulb, its a focused lense so not very wide pattern light. I think it was less then $12.00. I may buy some more just to throw in every vehicle. When driving on pothole roads you are at least charging the light up as you bounce around. Mike
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #14

Registry
I just got a cranking one off eBay. It is a 5 led job.

It was cheap enough (17 bucks) to risk a dud.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
"Solar flashlight", the ultimate oxymoron!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #16

Registry
The cranky one came today. I am very pleased. I cranked for 2 minutes, and it has been going for 2 hours. The ad says 1 min will give you 1/2 hour.. hmnnn...

I imagine since it came with the leds already functional, it must have been charged already. I am sure there is a difference if you run it down to nothing. We will see.

There is a 6v charge inlet tho, so I got both a cranky AND a solar charge. (My panels have regulators and adaptors for just this thing)

Cranky Flashlight for Cranky campers
Old 05-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Anyone have one?

Do they work all that well? Thinking about getting one, but not if they are whimpy.

We have a sungear solar flashlight. It is 10 yrs old. Waterproof, floats and has red flashing lights as well.
They are still sold under sungear and I found them online in california for a lot less than we pay in Canada. works great we leave it on the ledge at the lake and always have a working flashlight.
freida.sherrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power