Solar Panel Install Ideas - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It seems like you could also use the ole wire or mono filament trick.
I would be curious to find out how that works.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #72

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
On a very small scale, I proved that VHB tape is stronger than the gel coat itself by pulling a small plastic hook off the inner surface of the Burro. Gel goat came with it. [Note: I had removed the Chinee foamshmoz tape from several of these hooks and replaced with VHB before stickin em.] And the wire pullthru does work to get behind the stuckon object.

jack

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #73

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

What I meant was that I had no concern about the tape damaging the gel coat because the potential forces per unit of tape area were low.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #74
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
And the wire pullthru does work to get behind the stuckon object. jack
I have never seen the tape, just pictures. How about pulling through multiple lengths under a 2 foot wide by 3 foot long panel?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #75

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I have never seen the tape, just pictures. How about pulling through multiple lengths under a 2 foot wide by 3 foot long panel?
In that case, you'd have to destroy the flexible panel to get access to individual strips. It wouldn't be pretty.

If you laid down some aluminum angle and then bolted a rigid panel to that, it wouldn't be so difficult to remove.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #76
Raz

Vermont
Since the trailer has a good chance of outliving the solar panel, I almost think I would choose bolts through the hull to tape. I'm waiting for the flexible panel prices to drop. I like the idea rolling it up to store, then pulling it out when needed. Raz
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #77

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Since the trailer has a good chance of outliving the solar panel, I almost think I would choose bolts through the hull to tape. I'm waiting for the flexible panel prices to drop. I like the idea rolling it up to store, then pulling it when needed. Raz
I can see your point. On a double hulled trailer it is a little tougher to use bolts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #78

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Confucius say weak man is easily separated from bionic arm. Most of the stuff that's supposed to hold on doesn't except the stuff that really, really, really does. Norm, I understand the benefits of maximizing contact area and minimizing lever arm and windage. I believe the "low profile" VHB install you describe should and does warrant some provisional confidence in the tape. Provisional=provided this and provided that.

jack
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #79

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You know, just when I think I've got it all figured out and I know exactly what type of panel and how I'm going to mount it, you guys start confusing me with facts. What's a girl to do?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #80

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
You know, just when I think I've got it all figured out and I know exactly what type of panel and how I'm going to mount it, you guys start confusing me with facts. What's a girl to do?
You will never get a straight answer here.

Personally, I like what Ron did, as shown in this post:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post356593

Using aluminum channel or angle stock, you get plenty of bonding surface area, but retain access to to the tape should you want to cut it off without damaging the gel coat, at some future date. Plus, you can use the less expensive rigid panels.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #81

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

If 'I' should out last the solar panels I'm not concerned about having to remove the old ones. I think I'd just buy another flexible panel and tape it down over the first. The first only weigh 4 lbs, another 4lbs would be inconsequential.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #82

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Since the trailer has a good chance of outliving the solar panel, I almost think I would choose bolts through the hull to tape. I'm waiting for the flexible panel prices to drop. I like the idea rolling it up to store, then pulling it when needed. Raz
Well..... bolts might only avoid future issues with replacing panels if you build a bracket system you bolt on that has sliders front to back and side to side that can be adjusted to fit the size of your new panel without drilling new holes In the short 5 years since I purchased my first solar panel lots have changed - not only are they way cheaper but the size of many of the higher spec ones has gone way done as well.

Avoiding holes through the roof and tape that rips off gelcoat both sound like sound reasons to stick to my current system of just pulling the solar out from its compact storage spot and use as required.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #83

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
An HQRP flexible solar panel I've been eyeing on amazon has grommets on each corner. I wonder if it would be possible to use some sort of snap or stud to secure the panels at the grommet rather than shticking the whole thing to the roof. It might mean through-holes, but it could also have the advantage (maybe to some it might be more of a disadvantage...) of being easily removable during travel and able to be moved to sunnier locations.
Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #84

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Friesen View Post
An HQRP flexible solar panel I've been eyeing on amazon has grommets on each corner. I wonder if it would be possible to use some sort of snap or stud to secure the panels at the grommet rather than shticking the whole thing to the roof. It might mean through-holes, but it could also have the advantage (maybe to some it might be more of a disadvantage...) of being easily removable during travel and able to be moved to sunnier locations.
Just a thought.

Evan, I just Googled these......they seem to be very low watt and very flexible.

I believe Norm used some that are a bit more rigid and much higher output.

This thread looks like a bar room discussion on which is better,Ford or Chevy

Tags
solar