Solar Panel Install Ideas - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I compare the credibility of this document:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...709-3862-9.PDF

To this document:
Solar panels and 3M VHB tape - Escape Trailer Owners Community

I conclude that my money is on 3M, though I'm confident that someone could screw up an installation with VHB tape.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #62

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I'm sure I read about "Sticky Feet" in a discussion on mounting solar panels. Just can't remember where. Finally found one website. Anyone used these?
https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #63

Name: Carla
Trailer: Casita Liberty Delux
Illinois
Solar Panels on a Truck Topper

Has anyone put their solar panels on top of a Leer truck topper?? Not sure we want to put on our Casita...thought we'd get better benefits having it on our vehicle and not really wanting to use the suitcase style, so to free up more storage in the truck bed.
cozygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #64
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After reading about the durability testing 3M conducted, gel coat separation seems more likely that tape failure. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #65

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
P. Raz.

In my case I'm not too concerned about gel coat failure since our tape area is large, about 144 square inches of tape.
As well the solar panel's really low profile does not expose it to large wind forces.

Certainly every thing has a life but I expect the tape life is substantial, partially because it doesn't see ultra violet.

We use our panels to run the trailer. Principal use of 12 volts is the 24 hour fridge fans and 24 hour hotspot. At noon the batterys at 13.1 volts with the panel disconnected and 14.1 with it connected.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #66
Raz

Taping the panel is much more secure in my opinion than taping brackets. No lift and no torque applied to the bond. The other question is one of permanence. How many threads do we see where a new owner is trying to undo the work of a previous owner? Once the panel is on, can you ever remove it without damage to the roof? Raz
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Taping the panel is much more secure in my opinion than taping brackets. No lift and no torque applied to the bond. The other question is one of permanence. How many threads do we see where a new owner is trying to undo the work of a previous owner? Once the panel is on, can you ever remove it without damage to the roof? Raz
Here is one suggestion:

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...bute=ImageFile

Tool:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08978-Moldi.../dp/B000K2S6FO
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #68

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks like our friends up North where it get's to 40 below would be able to remove the tape easier than farther south, according to these links.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #69
Raz

If you can get to the foam to cut it that's certainly the way to do it. I believe folks have used the eraser successfully removing decals on fiberglass.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #70

Quote:
If you can get to the foam to cut it that's certainly the way to do it. I believe folks have used the eraser successfully removing decals on fiberglass.
It seems like you could also use the ole wire or mono filament trick.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It seems like you could also use the ole wire or mono filament trick.
I would be curious to find out how that works.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #72

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
On a very small scale, I proved that VHB tape is stronger than the gel coat itself by pulling a small plastic hook off the inner surface of the Burro. Gel goat came with it. [Note: I had removed the Chinee foamshmoz tape from several of these hooks and replaced with VHB before stickin em.] And the wire pullthru does work to get behind the stuckon object.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #73

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

What I meant was that I had no concern about the tape damaging the gel coat because the potential forces per unit of tape area were low.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #74
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
And the wire pullthru does work to get behind the stuckon object. jack
I have never seen the tape, just pictures. How about pulling through multiple lengths under a 2 foot wide by 3 foot long panel?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #75

Quote:
I have never seen the tape, just pictures. How about pulling through multiple lengths under a 2 foot wide by 3 foot long panel?
In that case, you'd have to destroy the flexible panel to get access to individual strips. It wouldn't be pretty.

If you laid down some aluminum angle and then bolted a rigid panel to that, it wouldn't be so difficult to remove.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #76
Raz

Since the trailer has a good chance of outliving the solar panel, I almost think I would choose bolts through the hull to tape. I'm waiting for the flexible panel prices to drop. I like the idea rolling it up to store, then pulling it out when needed. Raz
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #77

Quote:
Since the trailer has a good chance of outliving the solar panel, I almost think I would choose bolts through the hull to tape. I'm waiting for the flexible panel prices to drop. I like the idea rolling it up to store, then pulling it when needed. Raz
I can see your point. On a double hulled trailer it is a little tougher to use bolts.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #78

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Confucius say weak man is easily separated from bionic arm. Most of the stuff that's supposed to hold on doesn't except the stuff that really, really, really does. Norm, I understand the benefits of maximizing contact area and minimizing lever arm and windage. I believe the "low profile" VHB install you describe should and does warrant some provisional confidence in the tape. Provisional=provided this and provided that.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #79

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
You know, just when I think I've got it all figured out and I know exactly what type of panel and how I'm going to mount it, you guys start confusing me with facts. What's a girl to do?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
You know, just when I think I've got it all figured out and I know exactly what type of panel and how I'm going to mount it, you guys start confusing me with facts. What's a girl to do?
You will never get a straight answer here.

Personally, I like what Ron did, as shown in this post:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post356593

Using aluminum channel or angle stock, you get plenty of bonding surface area, but retain access to to the tape should you want to cut it off without damaging the gel coat, at some future date. Plus, you can use the less expensive rigid panels.

Tags
solar