Solar panel on a trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1

Name: I.
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Solar panel on a trillium

I would like to know if someone intalled a solar panel on the roof of a trillium 1976 ?
The roof have agood curve,so how do you install the panel? Along the roof or across the roof ? Does the wind affect it.?
Thanks
Lou
x2uol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed one on a UHaul. It came with a narrow panel about a foot wide centered behind a vent. I mounted the larger panel to the original bracket and let it hang out in all 4 directions.

If I was starting from scratch, I think I'd use four aluminum or stainless steel Z brackets mounted on the corners and long enough to allow the center of the panel to clear the roof center. Alternatively, you could get a pair of narrow panels and mount them on either side of the center, but they wouldn't be in the same plane and that may affect their efficiency somewhat.

If the panel is well mounted, wind should not be an issue as it is parallel to the ground.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Name: Drew
Alberta
Registry
A late reply to this, but there are a few pictures in this thread of solar panel mounts on Trilliums:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-53949.html

My panel is half way down in the thread, it uses Z brackets similar to the ones posted above.

Also, if you don't want to drill into the roof, I was thinking of using these VHB brackets for a high voltage panel next year:

https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112
Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
A late reply to this, but there are a few pictures in this thread of solar panel mounts on Trilliums:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-53949.html

My panel is half way down in the thread, it uses Z brackets similar to the ones posted above.

Also, if you don't want to drill into the roof, I was thinking of using these VHB brackets for a high voltage panel next year:

https://rvsolarstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=112
Hi, I installed a fairly large 40 watt solar panel on the roof of my Trillium 4500 about 18 months ago. My solar panel has an aluminum frame as it was previously used in marine buoys before I got it. I made 4 “L” brackets from aluminum angle pieces each about 8 inches long an about an inch and a half on each arm, and stuck them onto the roof, then attached the solar panel to the brackets with sheet metal screws. This has 3 advantages: (1) it provides a small airspace between the panel and the roof for ventilation; (2) it eliminates worries about the curve of the roof; and (3) it means I don’t have to make holes in the roof. The setup is removable if I ever want to because the panel is held onto the brackets with screws. I used 3M #4950 VHB tape to hold the brackets onto the roof. I secured the wire running on the trailer roof and down the front to the battery box (where my solar controller is installed right next to the battery) with a different kind of VHB tape, the “No More Nails” construction adhesive tape. The system has worked great (pictures attached).

I have been very pleased with the way the VHB tape holds, and would definitely use it again if we decide to install another panel behind the roof vent.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2714.JPG   IMGP2716.JPG  

IMGP2717.JPG   IMGP2718.JPG  

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Name: Drew
Alberta
Registry
Rick, did you find the 3M #4950 VHB tape locally or did you have to order it online?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	51811
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Rick, did you find the 3M #4950 VHB tape locally or did you have to order it online?
I ordered it from National Hardware Sales Ltd. sales@nhsmedia.com 905-513-3994 in Toronto back in spring 2011. I could not find it in Alberta. Cost including shipping was $73 for a 36 yard roll of ½ inch tape, which I have since used on several other projects. I received it in a few days.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Available through Amazon and probably eBay

Amazon.com: 3m vhb tape
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I haven't done it yet but I'm going to install my panels on hinges on the kitchen side and back side. They'll be used as awnings when up, and locked vertically in the down position. I'll make some vinyl covers for when parked (no temptations, please). When traveling I could take the covers off and be charging.
Anyway, that's my plan.... I'll start a thread when I get to it (probably before my 5 day Thanksgiving trip).
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #10

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I don't have a Trillium but I did install an 80w panel on my Cloud. I found that it would not mount flat because of the curve of the roof so I had to become inventive with the materials I had available. Check out the pictures in my profile to see what I came up with. Good luck with your install.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, trillium