Solar Panels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We have purchased the standard 3 panels 15 watts each. What we need are ideas for an easily portable (foldable) stand. What suggestions do you have?
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I was initially concerned about a stand for my panels. I figured that I wanted to begin using my panels right away, so I used the stand that came with the Harbor Freight panels I bought. I have since grown accustomed to it, and do not plan to change anytime soon. I was cautioned about vulnerability of an adjustable angle stand to wind effects. Mine sets the panels at a 30* angle, and is surprisingly stable, even in strong wind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar_4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	8082

I can pick up and re-orient the panels and stand to the sun as a unit, if I face the panels and grab hold of both sides (panels and triangle frames).
Old 06-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I really like what Fred has done.

Just to give you additional ideas, here are some additional solutions others have done.

Front and Back

Name:   solar_panel.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  42.8 KB

Folded for storage

Name:   solar_folded.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  18.2 KB

On the left NavBar, click Solar to see the full article.
Attached Images

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Quote:
We have purchased the standard 3 panels 15 watts each. What we need are ideas for an easily portable (foldable) stand. What suggestions do you have?
Hi Barbara,

I just put my solar panels on the roof of my trails west campster. I used mounting brackets I purchased from AM solar. I learned from their web site that on smooth unpainted fiberglass you can mount the brackets with tape that is "stronger than a weld". We shall see...... but I do live in the Sierras and drove it a couple of hours this week down some very bumpy roads, and so far so good.

If I figure out how, maybe I can post a picture. Those panels were heavy and I didn't want to lug them in and out of the trailer. I am really glad they are on the roof!

Click image for larger version

Name:	solar_panels_on_trailer.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	8088
kfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Hi Barbara,

I just put my solar panels on the roof of my trails west campster. I used mounting brackets I purchased from AM solar. I learned from their web site that on smooth unpainted fiberglass you can mount the brackets with tape that is "stronger than a weld".
Here is their website: AM Solar
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I bought one 50w Siemens panel that measures about 48"x13" that I'll be mounting flat on my roof. I'm hoping that'll meet out 12v requirements . . . but when I install my solar system I'll keep in mind that I may want to add an external connector for a second, relocatable panel later on if the fixed 50w doesn't cut it.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. We have decided to go with a version of Frederick's stand. As a matter of fact it is about 3/4 finished. We are using some on hand materials so it is not identical but will certainly do the job. Thanks
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
[quote]Hi Barbara,

I just put my solar panels on the roof of my trails west campster. I used mounting brackets I purchased from AM solar. I learned from their web site that on smooth unpainted fiberglass you can mount the brackets with tape that is "stronger than a weld". We shall see...... but I do live in the Sierras and drove it a couple of hours this week down some very bumpy roads, and so far so good.

If I figure out how, maybe I can post a picture. Those panels were heavy and I didn't want to lug them in and out of the trailer. I am really glad they are on the roof!

Attachment 8088

After looking at AM solar's web site, I can see why they didn't go anyplace. The "tape" is 3M VHB (Very High Bonding). Boeing puts airplanes together using that stuff. Warning the only way to detatch anything mounted with VHB is cut it off. That sounds worse than it actually is, dental floss will work, or piano wire to cut throught the VHB material.

Thanks for posting this, I hand forgotten about VHB.

Tags
solar, solar power