Solar Panels & Theft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #1

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Solar Panels & Theft

I am going to add solar 100 watts to my system this spring and had a serious questions about the location of the panel and theft. It seems that there is a great possibility of "loosing" your panels when left on a stand rather than on a roof but on the stand gives you flexibility and better options for higher output. I am particularly concerned because we plan on doing a lot of boondocking.

Does anyone have any experience from which they can speak?

FYI my rig is a Scamp 19.
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
My intention is to put an obvious sticker on the top of the frame that says...

"I assume you spotted the cameras?"

Plus they need tools to pull the MC4 connectors apart. I'm not convinced that adding a 20' chain is the way to go.

Interested to hear others ideas.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The only time I have ever worried about theft in a campground is when the host at NFS campground in the U.P. of Michigan warned me of cooler theft. It seems the locals raid the campground for coolers looking for beer.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post

Plus they need tools to pull the MC4 connectors apart. I'm not convinced that adding a 20' chain is the way to go.

Interested to hear others ideas.
No, just wire cutters, or in the case of MY portable panels, just pull the trolling motor type plug out of the camper's shell.

But I agree the risk of theft is low. A short length of light chain can help casual thieves as long as there is something to chain it to nearby. If the campground has suspicious people around I might lock them up but thats a rare situation.

In the past, I said mostly in jest, that this sticker is all you need.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The only time I have ever worried about theft in a campground is when the host at NFS campground in the U.P. of Michigan warned me of cooler theft. It seems the locals raid the campground for coolers looking for beer.
I have had mostly good interactions with Yoopers but that is pretty darn funny. You have to worry about the human wildlife in the U P more than the natural variety like bears, lol. Every time we have camped in the U P there tended to be large family groups clustered in the campgrounds with much socializing into the evenings.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
... You have to worry about the human wildlife in the U P more than the natural variety like bears, lol. ..
Well between bears and people, maybe chaining up the solar panel is not such a bad idea after all.....

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Many of you are familiar with a neighborhood application called Nextdoor.

Hardly a day goes by where a neighbor doesn't post about "Porch Pirates" following delivery trucks to steal packages. Some make a living stealing packages and they don't even know the contents. An iPhone, or Baby Diapers? It is a good way to fund a drug habit.

City neighborhoods and campgrounds are different. But it seems to me that if there are people willing to steal beer, there are people willing to steal solar panels worth hundreds, then sell them to fund a beer habit.

It's also why I don't leave my wallet on the picnic table.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurBNH View Post
I am going to add solar 100 watts to my system this spring and had a serious questions about the location of the panel and theft. It seems that there is a great possibility of "loosing" your panels when left on a stand rather than on a roof but on the stand gives you flexibility and better options for higher output. I am particularly concerned because we plan on doing a lot of boondocking.

Does anyone have any experience from which they can speak?

FYI my rig is a Scamp 19.
I have 2, 100 watt panels that I put out on the ground in National Forest camp grounds and while we are boondocking for the last few years. I have never had a problem with anyone disturbing anything at my camp site. The most we do is stake them down with tent stakes. They are the light weight flexible panels and this is to keep the wind from moving them. While tools make it easier to unhook the connectors they can be disconnected fairly easily without the tools.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
A few years ago, we would go to Quartzsite during Jan. and Feb. Always hearing about Honda gens. being stolen. Had heard there was an underground market for them. I always locked it when we used it but put it inside when out site seeing and at night when finished with it. One year, an Airstream camped about 100 yds. from us and backed up to ravine lost theirs. The ravine makes for an easy escape route.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I have 4 100 watt panels on my bigfoot and the panels are very thin and flexible. They can't be seen unless you are on a ladder and I believe that
theft is very remote. Add a couple of golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt inverter and you are independent of plug in parks. I added a generator
for the air conditioner.
Bob Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

Name: Joanne
Trailer: In the market
California
I use a lockless monster on my portable solar panel. Only takes a couple of minutes and gives me a little piece of mind. The cable is pretty thin, so a determined thief could probably cut it, but it certainly deters someone just picking my panel up and strolling off with it.
Lockless Monster – The "Lock-less" Anti-Theft Cable
Joanne1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a Renogy 100 watt portable solar panel
We plug it in , face it toward the sun , move or rotate as necessary
We have never employed any security device, so far no need or desire

Yuppers are a very friendly bunch but it does help if you speak their dialect of english or language . I found it much easier to learn then the language / dialect used in the southern US but then again I did grow up in Minnesota.
(Watching the movie Fargo will not help )
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

Texas
My insurance company says they will cover anything "bolted" to the trailer but not a generator if it is not bolted. Just sitting it on the ground, etc. is not covered. I am guessing the same for solar panels.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
My insurance company says they will cover anything "bolted" to the trailer but not a generator if it is not bolted. Just sitting it on the ground, etc. is not covered. I am guessing the same for solar panels.
I think you'd be hard pressed to deploy enough solar panels to reach the deductible anyway.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #15

Texas
I think Theft and Vandalism are $100 ded. on my policy which is part of my auto policy. Would be worth checking on.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
I think Theft and Vandalism are $100 ded. on my policy which is part of my auto policy. Would be worth checking on.
Maybe while you are hooked to the vehicle? Best read your policy, including all the small print.
I have separate vehicle and trailer insurance.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
This has always been a concern of mine as well. I lay them on the roof of my trailer and go away for a few hours but never for overnight. If I'm gone overnight I always take them down and put them inside my trailer. I would like to hard mount them to the roof but I'm concerned about overnight theft. I would never leave them on a stand, to easy to steal.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Nobody has posted that they experienced theft at their campsite (I haven't either) and that's good to know.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I had my cooler taken from my camp site. Found it around the corner, dumped out. I think they were looking for booze.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #20

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Solar & thief

This is my second Casita, both have solar panels bolted on the roof, so thief should be no problem. The only way to go.
themellowtones2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel