solar trickle charger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
solar trickle charger

I'm ready to store my camper for a few months and wondering if anyone uses a solar battery charger in case of cold weather or should I just unplug the battery? The weather will probably get down to freezing a few nights.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I think there are a few different ways to do it, but we take our battery off in the winter and store it in the garage (on a wooden counter). A couple of times throughout the winter my husband goes out to check it and hooks up a little battery charger we have if it needs it.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You don't take the battery out of your car and there is no need to remove it from the trailer. Just charge it from time to time and it will not freeze.
If you do take it out, there is no need to store it on wood. Modern batteries are made from modern materials and can be left sitting on concrete.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I leave my battery on the camper plugged into a solar panel all year around. No problems yet and its been 6 years so far...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Last winter I left the Casita plugged into shore power all winter, and the converter kept the battery charged.

I see no reason why I shouldn't do the same again.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I have two batteries on Trill136.

I intend to leave them there all winter. I have the unit hooked up to "shore power" and through that, I have two "Battery Tenders" on them.

As has been mentioned, you don't take the battery out of your car.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Our camper lives at a storage facility when not in use, which doesn't have outlets, so we can't plug it in to a charger over the winter. Having the battery at home means we don't have to go get it and bring it here to maintain the battery. Someday we'd like to get a solar trickle charger to maintain it while in storage, but for now, removing the battery and keeping it here works for us.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I'm ready to store my camper for a few months and wondering if anyone uses a solar battery charger in case of cold weather or should I just unplug the battery? The weather will probably get down to freezing a few nights.
It is nice to keep the batteries charged up without having to plug them into 110v power.

However because there are such things as advance weather outlook forecast that shows you what it coming in the next week you can make sure the battery gets well charged before any freezing weather. No doubt you can also find an app with local weather alerts for upcoming freezing weather if you can't remember to check the forecast.

So basically it up to you and your long range goals for a power supply to your battery.

But if you are in Wyoming you also have snow to deal with and snow covered or frost covered solar panels are not going to get that free solar power into them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar