Some wiring advise? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Could somebody direct me to an appropriate wiring schematic? Here is what I am trying to do. I have a Central Power Pack model CP-06 FK power converter. I don't have a battery yet, but I'll be adding one. This converter doesn't have a charger or 12v distribution panel so I'll also be adding an onboard battery charger and some kind of panel. Right now nothing is connected to the converter and the wiring is a mess. I'm sorting out what they all are. I'm hoping to power lights on batteries for short dry-camping trips. When I return home or if I can plug in at the campground, the battery will be charged and I can use the 12v accessories on shore power from the converter. Does this make sense? I'm not sure where the battery charger fits into the schematic and I don't want to mess it up worse than it already is.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Could somebody direct me to an appropriate wiring schematic? Here is what I am trying to do. I have a Central Power Pack model CP-06 FK power converter. I don't have a battery yet, but I'll be adding one. This converter doesn't have a charger or 12v distribution panel so I'll also be adding an onboard battery charger and some kind of panel. Right now nothing is connected to the converter and the wiring is a mess. I'm sorting out what they all are. I'm hoping to power lights on batteries for short dry-camping trips. When I return home or if I can plug in at the campground, the battery will be charged and I can use the 12v accessories on shore power from the converter. Does this make sense? I'm not sure where the battery charger fits into the schematic and I don't want to mess it up worse than it already is.
Rob:

I was not able to find a manual either for your converter -- company seems to be out of business. You could have a look at the wiring diagram on the last page of the Scamp manual http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...nersManual.pdf

It shows the converter and how it is connected. I don't know whether this is similar to the way yours was intended to work, but perhaps it is a start.

Brian
Old 11-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Quote:
Rob:

I was not able to find a manual either for your converter -- company seems to be out of business. You could have a look at the wiring diagram on the last page of the Scamp manual http://www.scamptrailers.com/Portals...nersManual.pdf

It shows the converter and how it is connected. I don't know whether this is similar to the way yours was intended to work, but perhaps it is a start.

Brian
The converter in my Uhaul also charges the battery. Are you sure yours dosn't?
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Registry

Wiring.pdf

So this is what I'm thinking. The converter is only a converter so I will need a separate charger. Our needs are very simple though and I think this will work for us. We're only looking to have a few lights for the evenings and the fridge will run on propane. My diagram is kind of crude, and I've left the ground and whites off for clarity. Does this look reasonable though?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
When I got my 1300 there was nothing in it at all for 12v wiring or loads.
There was a shore power cable that merely powered a few 120vac lights in the trailer.

I installed a battery and quality charger and the connected a distribution panel directly to the battery and then light to the panel.

This allowed the lights to run off of the battery whether the charger was plugged in or not.
If the charger was plugged in the the battery still supplied power for the lights and it was also kept charged.
Nice and simple.

The converter you have is probably just a 12vdc transformer and that is it.
Without any provision for battery charging anyway I don't really see the utility in keeping things connected to the converter for you now.
This way all loads run off 12vdc whether 120vac is connected to the charger or not.

For loads under 10 amps total I was always fine and had plenty of power and no worries.
Things were easy then and I could move the trailer by hand.
What year Trill is is?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
When I got my 1300 there was nothing in it at all for 12v wiring or loads.
There was a shore power cable that merely powered a few 120vac lights in the trailer.

I installed a battery and quality charger and the connected a distribution panel directly to the battery and then light to the panel.

This allowed the lights to run off of the battery whether the charger was plugged in or not.
If the charger was plugged in the the battery still supplied power for the lights and it was also kept charged.
Nice and simple.

The converter you have is probably just a 12vdc transformer and that is it.
Without any provision for battery charging anyway I don't really see the utility in keeping things connected to the converter for you now.
This way all loads run off 12vdc whether 120vac is connected to the charger or not.

For loads under 10 amps total I was always fine and had plenty of power and no worries.
Things were easy then and I could move the trailer by hand.
What year Trill is is?

Ed
Huh! That makes a lot of sense. I don't really need the old converter at all then. Simple needs, simple design... I LIKE IT!
My Trillium is a '73. What kind of distribution panel did you install? I've been trying to find one, no luck yet. Can you also tell me about the charger you installed?
Thanks
R
Old 11-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #7

I used this in the 1300:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5005000_225-5-0

They make them in various configurations but each one has switches with indicator lights and either fuses or circuit breakers all ready to wire and go.
I have used other versions in other trailers.

Attached Thumbnails
1300PowerPanel1.jpg  
Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #8

I can't remember what charger I used but since you would be using it as a charger/power supply any of the modern smart chargers rated at 10amp or so should work OK.
The battery will act as a filter to remove any noise coming from the charger and even though they are not really designed to be a power supply too the battery will help cushion the current drawn by the loads.

If you found LED lighting you liked your current draw would be so low you might not ever have to charge while out camping.
That was part of my strategy with this setup and also the fact that everything really ran on 12vdc no matter what.
It will also be a simple matter to connect a Solar Control directly to the battery as well when the time comes.

Ed
Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
I can't remember what charger I used but since you would be using it as a charger/power supply any of the modern smart chargers rated at 10amp or so should work OK.
The battery will act as a filter to remove any noise coming from the charger and even though they are not really designed to be a power supply too the battery will help cushion the current drawn by the loads.

If you found LED lighting you liked your current draw would be so low you might not ever have to charge while out camping.
That was part of my strategy with this setup and also the fact that everything really ran on 12vdc no matter what.
It will also be a simple matter to connect a Solar Control directly to the battery as well when the time comes.

Ed
Thank you Ed. Very helpful.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
The PO of my CT13 sent me this... Hope it is helpful... it's not very sharp, but you can read it.
Best of Luck
Dale
Dale A Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Here is a cheap board.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote